Watching the clock

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Watching the clock

Post by Gary Childress »

What should a person do if they have nothing more to live for? What would you do if you had nothing left to live for?

attofishpi

Re: Watching the clock

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:36 am What should a person do if they have nothing more to live for? What would you do if you had nothing left to live for?
Find something worth living for.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:17 am
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:36 am What should a person do if they have nothing more to live for? What would you do if you had nothing left to live for?
Such as?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Call or meet anyone who cares about me. If there's no one I know personally, I'd scour the options: priests, hotlines where you can get support, any group (12 step or whatever that vaguely or directly has people dealing with some problem I have, doctors, whatever.) There are things that could tear me apart so I wouldn't want to live, but so far I've called out for help and spread that call wide.
Reacing out to people can carry one through the worst and perhaps get to where there are more things to live for.
Even doing what you're doing here counts. But it's better to be able to hear a voice, meet someone in the flesh.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:04 am
Such as?
Well I don't really know you Gary.

I decided to start painting art, wrote a cyberpunk novel and am now learning Unreal Engine with a view to create VR worlds..

The world has so much to offer with the world wide web..so much to learn.

But I know how depression feels...recently had just a couple of days of the black dog, no motivation for anything, even comedy I normally enjoy seemed pointless. Kept hating God\Christ etc..

Eventually I apologised, almost immediately my brain went from that dull soggy cloud to clear headed and happy.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

This is an old question and many peeps have answered it in their own way. None, however, seem to make the grade and that is ... you know what that is.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:16 am
Call or meet anyone who cares about me. If there's no one I know personally, I'd scour the options: priests, hotlines where you can get support, any group (12 step or whatever that vaguely or directly has people dealing with some problem I have, doctors, whatever.) There are things that could tear me apart so I wouldn't want to live, but so far I've called out for help and spread that call wide.
Reacing out to people can carry one through the worst and perhaps get to where there are more things to live for.
Even doing what you're doing here counts. But it's better to be able to hear a voice, meet someone in the flesh.
Thank you. It's good advice for most. I'm not too keen on the reaching out to make friends thing. I'm here mostly for debate and self-discovery. Finding friends is another matter and has seldom worked out very well for me in the past. It's just not for me.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:19 am

Such as?

I decided to start painting art, wrote a cyberpunk novel and am now learning Unreal Engine with a view to create VR worlds..

But I know how depression feels...recently had just a couple of days of the black dog, no motivation for anything, even comedy I normally enjoy seemed pointless. Kept hating God\Christ etc..

Eventually I apologised, almost immediately my brain went from that dull soggy cloud to clear headed and happy.
Yeah. I've had the experience of apologizing and then feeling a sense of release. I just don't feel particularly up to apologizing for anything right now. Too jaded.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:32 am Thank you. It's good advice for most. I'm not too keen on the reaching out to make friends thing. I'm here mostly for debate and self-discovery. Finding friends is another matter and has seldom worked out very well for me in the past. It's just not for me.
OK, I was responding the way I did because your posts sometimes sound like posts that could be made by someone suicidal. I wasn't really suggesting that you make friends, but rather contact anyone to give you a base from which you can perhaps find reasons to live. But of course you know your needs and desires vastly better than I do.

As a thread in the Lounge, this didn't quite seem like a debate starter.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:40 am As a thread in the Lounge, this didn't quite seem like a debate starter.
Really? I mean, it seems like a fair topic to debate to me. What does a person do when there's really nothing to live for? Does it mean you actively discontinue your life and commit suicide? I suppose that's possible but my hope is that if that's the case, then waiting for God or whatever to take me away from this world in an agreeable way is possible too.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:47 am Really? I mean, it seems like a fair topic to debate to me.
Of course. But in the Lounge - rather than in general philosophy, say - in a thread called ¨Watching the clock' - which generally means you are waiting for something you don't like to end, in combination with other threads you've started - I resign for example, where you bring up your depression and what does it mean to resign from life, at least potentially - some quotes from that thread...
I am no longer viable
There's nothing in this world I can say that would amount to anything, mean anything or count for anything. Philosophy is dead if it was even ever anything more than BS to being with. Philosophy is pointless.
Enjoy the world, you can have it, all 50 gazillion galaxies that will eventually rot in the sky and amount to nothing also--just like everything else in the universe.
It doesn't come across as someone looking for debate, but rather someone in a lot of pain, perhaps on the verge of leaving. You can have the world, I'm done. I'm not viable. I have nothing to live for (except to complain). And then someone who thinks philosophy is pointless doesn't seem like someone in search debate when posting in the Lounge in a philosophy forum rather than in one of the topic subforums.

Not trying to convince you what is going on with you, just showing how it's coming across, at least to me, perhaps others.
What does a person do when there's really nothing to live for? Does it mean you actively discontinue your life and commit suicide? I suppose that's possible but my hope is that if that's the case, then waiting for God or whatever to take me away from this world in an agreeable way is possible too.
Hey, if you're not feeling suicidal, great!!

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:36 am What should a person do if they have nothing more to live for?
'SHOULD' one even be deciding FOR "others" what they 'should' be doing in ANY situation?
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:36 am What would you do if you had nothing left to live for?
To me, there could NEVER be ANY time that one has nothing more to live for. To me it is self-contradictory or a contradiction of terms.

Although plenty of people may feel otherwise.
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:36 am Image

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:47 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:40 am As a thread in the Lounge, this didn't quite seem like a debate starter.
Really? I mean, it seems like a fair topic to debate to me. What does a person do when there's really nothing to live for? Does it mean you actively discontinue your life and commit suicide? I suppose that's possible but my hope is that if that's the case, then waiting for God or whatever to take me away from this world in an agreeable way is possible too.
But there is NO one way to debate against another way. EVERY one can do whatever they want to.

How one 'feels' about some 'thing', like as the above topic, can NOT be disputed, NOR debated
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:05 am
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:47 am Really? I mean, it seems like a fair topic to debate to me.
Of course. But in the Lounge - rather than in general philosophy, say - in a thread called ¨Watching the clock' - which generally means you are waiting for something you don't like to end, in combination with other threads you've started - I resign for example, where you bring up your depression and what does it mean to resign from life, at least potentially - some quotes from that thread...
This IS the Louge! Therefore I'm not sure what the point of your suggestion is. Are you saying I need to move this to "General Philosophy" then? I'm confused. Can we not debate things in the Lounge? If that's the case, then please excuse me for my error.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:19 am

Such as?

I think this advice is pretty solid. Not easy for everyone to follow, but if you can, you should.

You should create for yourself a project. The project can be a matter of self expression, skill building, helping others, or a combination of those things. Find a project to lose yourself in.

I personally have too many projects in mind and not as much time as I'd like for them