What is the inner-monologue?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

TruthAgenda

What is the inner-monologue?

Post by TruthAgenda »

Is everyone here familiar with the fact that there are those who do not have an inner-monologue? And beyond that, that one who has an inner-monologue, can relinquish/dissolve it?
Impenitent

Re: What is the inner-monologue?

Post by Impenitent »

plenty of people have no language... at least no ability to express themselves verbally...

autism happens in degrees

-Imp

Post by Age »

TruthAgenda wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:54 am Is everyone here familiar with the fact that there are those who do not have an inner-monologue? And beyond that, that one who has an inner-monologue, can relinquish/dissolve it?
Would there be a reason to want to relinquish/dissolve the so-called 'inner-monologue'?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

TruthAgenda wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:54 am Is everyone here familiar with the fact that there are those who do not have an inner-monologue? And beyond that, that one who has an inner-monologue, can relinquish/dissolve it?
Inner voices vary. Some are really quite hitleresque with many parts of the self described by the voice like H would Jews. Mulling can be productive and contemplation, a mix of traditional alternative states of consciousness and with some verbal mulling can be incredibly useful and relaxing. We don't have to choose between inner silence and toxic inner voices. It's more complicated than that.

But, of course, anyone is welcome to tie one of their arms to a leg or to put on noise cancelling headphones all the time to have less senses or tooks or ways of exploring.

Some people even try to remove their own limibic systems. I would not legislate against this. People should be free to make themselves small and partial.
TruthAgenda

Post by TruthAgenda »

Age wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:28 am Would there be a reason to want to relinquish/dissolve the so-called 'inner-monologue'?
Wholeness of mind. Unimpeded understanding. Absolute focus and power of perception.

You ever observe an animal's ability to focus? Be it the hunter or the prey, they exhibit a focus which allows them to react within milliseconds in almost every situation. Meanwhile human beings are often tripping over their own feet, comparatively.

If you want to know the reason to relinquish the inner monologue, I encourage you to try it, the next time you're doing something which requires focus. The next time you're playing a sport or video game, or the next time you're eating. Force your focus from the words in your mind out through your eyes, or into your senses.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Uncertain thinking,
Last edited by popeye1945 on Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Age wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:28 am
Would there be a reason to want to relinquish/dissolve the so-called 'inner-monologue'?
Loss of self can be a goal of meditation and mindfulness. I can't speak to the benefits, but I'm not dismissive of them either.

I also don't think the people who do it permanently lose their inner monologue, so the phrasing above of "relinquish/dissolve it" is probably an exaggeration. I could be mistaken though.

Post by Age »

TruthAgenda wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:44 pm
Age wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:28 am Would there be a reason to want to relinquish/dissolve the so-called 'inner-monologue'?
Wholeness of mind. Unimpeded understanding. Absolute focus and power of perception.
But what about the 'inner-monologue' that is Guiding, Teaching, Loving, and Wise, would there be a reason to want to relinquish/dissolve this 'inner-monologue'?

You ever observe an animal's ability to focus? Be it the hunter or the prey, they exhibit a focus which allows them to react within milliseconds in almost every situation. Meanwhile human beings are often tripping over their own feet, comparatively.
TruthAgenda wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:44 pm If you want to know the reason to relinquish the inner monologue, I encourage you to try it, the next time you're doing something which requires focus. The next time you're playing a sport or video game, or the next time you're eating. Force your focus from the words in your mind out through your eyes, or into your senses.
ALREADY DONE IT. And, absolutely NO 'force' was necessary.

Also, Truly 'focusing' while there STILL exists an 'imner-monologue' was and is NOT that hard either. But, OF COURSE, it all depends on 'what' 'inner-monologue' is actually being 'played' and 'listened' to.

Post by Age »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:50 pm
Age wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:28 am
Loss of self can be a goal of meditation and mindfulness. I can't speak to the benefits, but I'm not dismissive of them either.
Oh the BENEFITS are, literally, Truly AMAZING

I would NEVER dismiss 'them' EITHER.
Flannel Jesus wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:50 pm I also don't think the people who do it permanently lose their inner monologue, so the phrasing above of "relinquish/dissolve it" is probably an exaggeration.
If ANY one 'thought' that they could 'relinguish' or 'dissolve', PERMANENTLY, ALL of the 'inner-monologue' while alive and conscious, AFTER they have learned words and language, then they are VERY SADY MISTAKEN, and only DELUDING "themself", with an 'inner-monologue', which would be best gotten RID OF, COMPLETELY.
Flannel Jesus wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:50 pm I could be mistaken though.
I do NOT think you are.
Walker

Post by Walker »

When you write in water or air to describe the details of a phenomenon you are witnessing in real time, then you remember facts rather than remembering fantasy or belief. The remembrance will be like a photograph, or a video. When you find the words you will remember more clearly the color and shape and textures of the building that you entered; or perhaps the exact color, number of doors, and the make of the car you noticed and perhaps its registration number. For example, finding the words snapped a memory video of the coyote that cut close across my path in the pre-dawn darkness. I was walking east and it was loping from south to north, into the wind, and since it wouldn't be hunting with the wind to its back it was running away from some coyote breakfast or crime scene, take your pick. The lean critter ran fast and easy, its tail straight. Obviously it knew of me before I knew of it, and it felt no threat from me.

Non-intellectual meditation, which does not rely upon concepts, will dissolve the inner monologue.

Do you realize that there are chunks of your daily life that escape your attention and memory because the inner monologue is occupying attention with something in the noggin during the time of forgotten chunks?
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

What's an inner monologue? A queer idea it.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Agent Smith wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:58 am What's an inner monologue? A queer idea it.
Why? Do you not have one?
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:01 am
Agent Smith wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:58 am What's an inner monologue? A queer idea it.
I'm not aware of one at present. The mind is too complex for me to make any statements about it.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Agent Smith wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:09 am
I'm not aware of one at present. The mind is too complex for me to make any statements about it.
As far as I know, most people experience it some of the time.

Do you think in words? Can you hear/see/feel words in your mind as you're pondering? Take a minute to really pay attention to what forms your thoughts take.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:13 am
Agent Smith wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:09 am
As far as I know, most people experience it some of the time.

Do you think in words? Can you hear/see/feel words in your mind as you're pondering? Take a minute to really pay attention to what forms your thoughts take.
It's too complicated for me mon ami! I'm not smart enough to make the journey.