Is the Beneficiary of a Sin also Guilty?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Re: Is the Beneficiary of a Sin also Guilty?

Post by commonsense »

I don’t think that this is what is meant as applied ethics. You can be reported and even banned for persisting in your wont of doing this.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

commonsense wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:05 am I don’t think that this is what is meant as applied ethics. You can be reported and even banned for persisting in your wont of doing this.
In which case I would encourage him to persue his wont with increased vigour.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

commonsense wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:05 am I don’t think that this is what is meant as applied ethics. You can be reported and even banned for persisting in your wont of doing this.
I'm skeptical that anything short of an illegal threat can get you banned here. I reported one of DS's just-a-link-to-a-video posts. I asked if 'they' could send a gentle reminder to DS that this is a discussion forum. I though perhaps coming from a caste society and specifically a very hierarchical ashram, DS mightr react to an autnority figure. I don't think anything happened.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Yes, of course. But that's why there are nine circles in Hell. Depending on the actual Sin and how much a mere mortal benefitted from it, he or she may well end up only in limbo. Burned with a match from time to time.

Note to IC:

Is that in the videos?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

commonsense to dattaswami wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:05 am You can be reported and even banned for persisting in your wont of doing this.
Perhaps if enough people use the 'Report' feature. I see pretty much all of dattaswami's posts as self-promotion or preaching.

People who claim they are speaking for a god have no sense or shame.
Last edited by Lacewing on Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Who isn't the beneficiary of a sin?
bahman

Post by bahman »

There is no such thing as sin. That is a total misconception. A person is either wise enough or not, in the first case, they don't do mistakes and in the second case, they do mistakes. The point is to be open that you could do mistakes and learn from them. You become wise when you are old enough and learn from your mistakes.
copequally

Post by copequally »

iambiguous wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:27 pm
Yes, of course. But that's why there are nine circles in Hell. Depending on the actual Sin and how much a mere mortal benefitted from it, he or she may well end up only in limbo. Burned with a match from time to time.

Note to IC:

Is that in the videos?
No such thing as sin there. That is just incorrect. Almost all of dattaswami's posts come across as self-promotion or preaching to me.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

copequally wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:47 am No such thing as sin there. That is just incorrect. Almost all of dattaswami's posts come across as self-promotion or preaching to me.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'there'. And I may be misunderstanding the meaning/context of your post. But if you mean in Swami's philosophy, actually there is indeed, at least in his mind, sin there.
For example,
Swami replied: Sinners who have used their qualities greed and anger in the wrong direction to commit sins are born as trees. In those births as trees, the souls are quite peaceful, which helps them subside their anger. They also learn to sacrifice their fruits to human beings, which pacifies their greediness and anger. These punishments are given in extreme cases. Once they attain reformation, they are again given human births, depending on the judgment of God. This routine cycle of souls operates mechanically.
For the whole thread....
viewtopic.php?t=39067
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:01 pm
I'm skeptical that anything short of an illegal threat can get you banned here. I reported one of DS's just-a-link-to-a-video posts. I asked if 'they' could send a gentle reminder to DS that this is a discussion forum. I though perhaps coming from a caste society and specifically a very hierarchical ashram, DS mightr react to an autnority figure. I don't think anything happened.
Hey! Why the cynicism?

I got a private message that one of my colourful epithet was redacted.
Dear ****** and Skepdick

I have redacted Skepdick's "fucking idiot" epithet. While bad language is generally not prohibited here at Philosophy Now, neither is it encouraged. Skepdick is perfectly capable of making his point and critiquing the points of others without using offensive terms, and such calculated offence, being unnecessary, is therefore unjustifiable.

However, in my judgement ******* tone has more than once been insulting to Skepdick and I consider Skepdick to have been provoked and ***** to bear some responsibility for the breakdown in civility between the two of you.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:04 pm Who isn't the beneficiary of a sin?
Yeah... inductive reasoning leads to pathologies in every and all directions.

(Also, apologies for the necropost)
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:25 am Hey! Why the cynicism?
Well, I also contacted the mods about a person who asked if we could help him because he was having trouble logging in or staying logged in. They never responded to me. Eventually, he managed to solve the problem himself. And then given what I see here I don't think they intervene much. Though I think that's mixed at worst.

Dear ****** and Skepdick

I have redacted Skepdick's "fucking idiot" epithet. While bad language is generally not prohibited here at Philosophy Now, neither is it encouraged. Skepdick is perfectly capable of making his point and critiquing the points of others without using offensive terms, and such calculated offence, being unnecessary, is therefore unjustifiable.

However, in my judgement ******* tone has more than once been insulting to Skepdick and I consider Skepdick to have been provoked and ***** to bear some responsibility for the breakdown in civility between the two of you.
OK, noted.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:54 am
Skepdick wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:25 am Hey! Why the cynicism?
Well, I also contacted the mods about a person who asked if we could help him because he was having trouble logging in or staying logged in. They never responded to me. Eventually, he managed to solve the problem himself. And then given what I see here I don't think they intervene much. Though I think that's mixed at worst.

Dear ****** and Skepdick

OK, noted.
Heh, sorry. I was being super sarcastic...

The kind of shit that flies on here is actively harmful to humanity.

But don't say "fuck".
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:56 am Heh, sorry. I was being super sarcastic...
Ah, ok. But did you actually get that PM?
Pardon my obtuseness if I should already know.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:31 am
Skepdick wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:56 am Heh, sorry. I was being super sarcastic...
Ah, ok. But did you actually get that PM?
Pardon my obtuseness if I should already know.
Yes, the PM is genuine.