What is your definition of justification?

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Iwannaplato

Re: What is your definition of justification?

Post by Iwannaplato »

PeteOlcott wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:39 pm
bahman wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:34 pm
Godless wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:24 pm I take epistemic justification to mean something that raises the probability that a belief is true. This definition doesn't seem complete though
No, justification is something that makes a belief true.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gettier_problem
Yes. When knowledge is defined as a justified true belief such that the justification
necessitates the truth of the believe then the Gettier problem is eliminated.
Copyright 2020 PL Olcott
In response to bahman whom you quoted...
No. Justification does not make a belief true. There's a category confusion in there since the justification is not making anything true. Justifications gives us reasons to believe something is true. Rigorous justification, presumably good reasons. But there is no full entailment of truth and revision with new evidence is generally possible.

and then...
Yes. When knowledge is defined as a justified true belief such that the justification
But there is no guarantee. There is no truth criterion we can cross off. OK, it's both justified and true. We can still be mistaken.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

The crow sniffed the air ... the distinct odor stimulated the olfactory nerves nestled somewhere inside its nostrils ... it spread its wings ... a coupla flaps later ... airborne ... flag raising ceremony ... somewhere in Nevada ... hot ... sand ... dust devils ... ice and beer ... good night m'lady.
PeteOlcott

Post by PeteOlcott »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:34 pm
Copyright 2020 PL Olcott
In response to bahman whom you quoted...
No. Justification does not make a belief true. There's a category confusion in there since the justification is not making anything true. Justifications gives us reasons to believe something is true. Rigorous justification, presumably good reasons. But there is no full entailment of truth and revision with new evidence is generally possible.

and then...
But there is no guarantee. There is no truth criterion we can cross off. OK, it's both justified and true. We can still be mistaken.
For the entire body of analytical knowledge there is complete justification.
I believe that cats are a type of animal.
I know that this belief is true because cats are animals is an axiom of natural language.
In those cases where the justification does not necessitate the truth of the belief we do not have knowledge.
Knowledge only includes beliefs that are impossibly false.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

PeteOlcott wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:46 pm Knowledge only includes beliefs that are impossibly false.
So only tautologies then, nothing useful.
PeteOlcott

Post by PeteOlcott »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:50 pm
PeteOlcott wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:46 pm Knowledge only includes beliefs that are impossibly false.
So only tautologies then, nothing useful.
The sum total of the analytic side of the analytic synthetic distinction is
nothing more than interconnected semantic tautologies thus has logically
justified certainty of the truth of all of its elements.

No other element of knowledge have logically justified certainty of the truth
of its elements.

When knowledge is anchored in the problem of induction this prevents
logically justified certainty.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

PeteOlcott wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:46 pm For the entire body of analytical knowledge there is complete justification.
I know that this belief is true because cats are animals is an axiom of natural language.
In those cases where the justification does not necessitate the truth of the belief we do not have knowledge.
So, you restrict your knowledge to analytic truths and don't consider synthetic truths knowledge.
This would keep most scientis out of being considered knowledge, since one of the fundamental ideas is that science is open to revision, and further it is empirical and mainly synthetic.

It would also mean that you trust 100%, that you will never have thought you were correctly deducing something from categories or definitions.

And also that nothing you consider knowledge can possibly ever turn out to be false.

That's a very rare position, considering only analytical knowledge as knowledge. But it's certainly much more consistant given what you are saying about justification.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Godless wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:24 pm I take epistemic justification to mean something that raises the probability that a belief is true. This definition doesn't seem complete though
Copyright 2020 PL Olcott
Finally, a person in this forum agrees with me! :mrgreen:
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

bahman wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:10 pm
Copyright 2020 PL Olcott
But you don't know, given the fallibility of human interpretation. IOW, as long as you don't consider your conclusion here as knowledge, fine. And as long as you don't consider the conclusions in science as knowledge, fine. Because he makes it clear later that he restricts himself to analytic truths, not synthetic ones.

Post by Age »

Copyright 2020 PL Olcott
At times EVERY person in this forum has agreed with 'you', "bahman". These times are just NOT ALWAYS acknowledged.
PeteOlcott

Post by PeteOlcott »

Copyright 2020 PL Olcott
Yeah !!! that gets rid of the Gettier problem.
PeteOlcott

Post by PeteOlcott »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:32 pm
PeteOlcott wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:46 pm For the entire body of analytical knowledge there is complete justification.
So, you restrict your knowledge to analytic truths and don't consider synthetic truths knowledge.
This would keep most scientis out of being considered knowledge, since one of the fundamental ideas is that science is open to revision, and further it is empirical and mainly synthetic.

It would also mean that you trust 100%, that you will never have thought you were correctly deducing something from categories or definitions.

And also that nothing you consider knowledge can possibly ever turn out to be false.

That's a very rare position, considering only analytical knowledge as knowledge. But it's certainly much more consistant given what you are saying about justification.
There are issues with empirical knowledge:
(a) Brain in a bottle thought experiment
(b) Five minute ago hypothesis
(c) The problem of induction.
One could say that when sensory stimulus correctly mathematically maps
to models of the world that the elements that they map to are true.
I see a TV set in my living room right now.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

The taste of the pie.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

PeteOlcott wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:03 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:32 pm

There are issues with empirical knowledge:
(a) Brain in a bottle thought experiment
(b) Five minute ago hypothesis
(c) The problem of induction.
One could say that when sensory stimulus correctly mathematically maps
to models of the world that the elements that they map to are true.
I see a TV set in my living room right now.
Yes, there are issues with empirical conclusions. And I can see someone deciding that empirical conclusions are not knowledge. And if one is saying that knowledge comes from analytic conclusions only, then scientific conclusions, for example, cannot be considered knowledge. I don't see that as a problem, but it needs to acknowledged, that's all.

I do think that brain in a vat scenarios can be used to call into question analytical conclusions also. IOW the brain in the vat could be being triggered by those running the lab to think that conclusion X is true. Even if it is an analytical conclusion. The five seconds ago hypothesis could also create problems for certainty around analytical conclusions: the quale that your first semantic sense of the sentence might have been created, along with the universe, just seconds ago. It seems obviously true, but that seeming was just created.
PeteOlcott

Post by PeteOlcott »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:22 am Yes, there are issues with empirical conclusions. And I can see someone deciding that empirical conclusions are not knowledge. And if one is saying that knowledge comes from analytic conclusions only, then scientific conclusions, for example, cannot be considered knowledge. I don't see that as a problem, but it needs to acknowledged, that's all.

I do think that brain in a vat scenarios can be used to call into question analytical conclusions also. IOW the brain in the vat could be being triggered by those running the lab to think that conclusion X is true. Even if it is an analytical conclusion. The five seconds ago hypothesis could also create problems for certainty around analytical conclusions: the quale that your first semantic sense of the sentence might have been created, along with the universe, just seconds ago. It seems obviously true, but that seeming was just created.
I count analytic knowledge as infallible because you can know it right now.
I count empirical knowledge as reliable as it seems to continue to prove itself to be.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

PeteOlcott wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:56 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:22 am Yes, there are issues with empirical conclusions. And I can see someone deciding that empirical conclusions are not knowledge. And if one is saying that knowledge comes from analytic conclusions only, then scientific conclusions, for example, cannot be considered knowledge. I don't see that as a problem, but it needs to acknowledged, that's all.

I count analytic knowledge as infallible because you can know it right now.
I count empirical knowledge as reliable as it seems to continue to prove itself to be.
So, is the latter knowledge? If yes, well unfortunately it can turn out later to be false. This is an aspect of science, that knowledge can be revised when more information comes in.

As far as analytic knowledge being infallible, our interpretations are never infallible. You might think your sense of the semantics of a term are corrent but be incorrent. Someone could make a mistake related to what a bachelor means in that classic example of an analytic conclusion.

And any process of drawing a conclusion takes time.