Greetings

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Maia

Re: Greetings

Post by Maia »

Veganman wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:14 am South Wales. I used to be a therapist but decided to run a small business instead. My wife is a teacher. I have a degree in philosophy but I'm only really interested in ethical philosophy. Good luck with the group but if you get bored waiting for people to answer or say something, as I did, lol, you are welcome to email me. 🙂
Thanks, I shall do.

I'm interested in the philosophy of perception, and also, the philosophy of the ancient world. As for degrees, perhaps one day, archaeology.

I know North Wales pretty well, less so the South, though. I often go camping there.
Veganman

Post by Veganman »

Ancient philosophy was a large part of the degree course, mine was a joint though with English lit. I also studied the ancient Greek and Roman worlds' in my first year. So long ago now though that I can't remember a thing! Lol. South Wales is not as nice as North Wales, West Wales is lovely though. We live near the Gower peninsula.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Veganman wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:37 am Ancient philosophy was a large part of the degree course, mine was a joint though with English lit. I also studied the ancient Greek and Roman worlds' in my first year. So long ago now though that I can't remember a thing! Lol. South Wales is not as nice as North Wales, West Wales is lovely though. We live near the Gower peninsula.
It was Plato, specifically, who first aroused my interest in philosophy, and I came at it through my interest in mythology and legends.

I've been camping in The Gower once, I think. My normal stomping ground, in Wales at least, is the north coast. I also like visiting stone circles and other megalithic remains.
Veganman

Post by Veganman »

You'd like the Prescelli hills in West Wales then. There are several stone sites in the area and it was from here that the stones were transported to use at Stonehenge. Plato and Socrates are very interesting but I tend to read modern philosophy these days, like Peter Singer. Do you always camp when you go on your travels, or do you stay at places as well? Kate and I are also very interested in paganism, sounds like you may be as well?
Maia

Post by Maia »

Veganman wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:42 pm You'd like the Prescelli hills in West Wales then. There are several stone sites in the area and it was from here that the stones were transported to use at Stonehenge. Plato and Socrates are very interesting but I tend to read modern philosophy these days, like Peter Singer. Do you always camp when you go on your travels, or do you stay at places as well? Kate and I are also very interested in paganism, sounds like you may be as well?
I think they recently found the exact quarry that the stones were taken from, which is pretty amazing.

It was the myth of Atlantis that first drew me to Plato, as that's something I've been interested in from a young age. And then I read about the Platonic solids, and the Platonic forms, which I found very interesting.

Yes, I always camp when I travel, even if I don't need to. I even camped while visiting a friend in Yorkshire last month, in her back garden, though obviously, I needn't have done.

I've been a Pagan since long before I knew there was a name for it.
Veganman

Post by Veganman »

You know more than us about paganism then. We only really got into it after being invited to a Beltane festival a few years ago, also in West Wales. I think it was just an excuse for people to get a bit wild to tell you the truth, but as nature lovers even the few rituals involved aroused our interest. Since then though we haven't done much, what with the lockdowns and a few other things that stopped us from getting out and about.

Post by Age »

Maia wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:50 pm Firstly, I'd like to say hi to friends old and new. Many here I know, of course, some for quite a long time.

I'm interested in discussions about a whole range of topics, but in particular, Paganism, history, especially ancient and medieval, mythology, legends, folklore, mysteries, and so on. I also like walking, camping, and anything outdoors. I'm currently working as a care assistant for the elderly, but would like, eventually, to study archaeology at professional level.

There's a lot more I could say here, of course, but that's enough for now, I think.
Why only eventually?

Post by Age »

Maia wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:56 pm
Veganman wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:42 pm You'd like the Prescelli hills in West Wales then. There are several stone sites in the area and it was from here that the stones were transported to use at Stonehenge. Plato and Socrates are very interesting but I tend to read modern philosophy these days, like Peter Singer. Do you always camp when you go on your travels, or do you stay at places as well? Kate and I are also very interested in paganism, sounds like you may be as well?
I think they recently found the exact quarry that the stones were taken from, which is pretty amazing.

It was the myth of Atlantis that first drew me to Plato, as that's something I've been interested in from a young age. And then I read about the Platonic solids, and the Platonic forms, which I found very interesting.

Yes, I always camp when I travel, even if I don't need to. I even camped while visiting a friend in Yorkshire last month, in her back garden, though obviously, I needn't have done.

What does 'Pagan' mean to you?

Post by Age »

Veganman wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:05 pm You know more than us about paganism then. We only really got into it after being invited to a Beltane festival a few years ago, also in West Wales. I think it was just an excuse for people to get a bit wild to tell you the truth, but as nature lovers even the few rituals involved aroused our interest. Since then though we haven't done much, what with the lockdowns and a few other things that stopped us from getting out and about.
What does 'paganism' mean to you?
Maia

Post by Maia »

Veganman wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:05 pm You know more than us about paganism then. We only really got into it after being invited to a Beltane festival a few years ago, also in West Wales. I think it was just an excuse for people to get a bit wild to tell you the truth, but as nature lovers even the few rituals involved aroused our interest. Since then though we haven't done much, what with the lockdowns and a few other things that stopped us from getting out and about.
I've been to quite a few Pagan festivals, and a lot of them, probably most, are like that. I prefer a much more natural, basic approach. I was also once in a Wiccan group, though I soon realised it was far to ritualistic for my liking.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Age wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:07 pm
Maia wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:50 pm Firstly, I'd like to say hi to friends old and new. Many here I know, of course, some for quite a long time.

I'm interested in discussions about a whole range of topics, but in particular, Paganism, history, especially ancient and medieval, mythology, legends, folklore, mysteries, and so on. I also like walking, camping, and anything outdoors. I'm currently working as a care assistant for the elderly, but would like, eventually, to study archaeology at professional level.

There's a lot more I could say here, of course, but that's enough for now, I think.
Why only eventually?
It would most likely mean giving up my job, which I'm reluctant to do.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Age wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:09 pm

To me, Paganism means living in harmony with, and being an integral part of, nature. Or at least, as much as this is possible.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Hi Maia. Welcome to the forum.

You've asked a thoughtful, peaceful question. Where are we? Been thinking about it.

Are you familiar with Sri Ramana Maharshi's rationale about the "I" sense of identity located on the right side of the chest? He calls this location in the body the heart center where consciousness resides, and as technology has advanced scientists have correlated emotions with pictures of the chest that depict what's happening inside the body.

Been thinkin' about that, and how emotions can cause literal heart pains, from that region.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Walker wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:19 pm Hi Maia. Welcome to the forum.

You've asked a thoughtful, peaceful question. Where are we? Been thinking about it.

Are you familiar with Sri Ramana Maharshi's rationale about the "I" sense of identity located on the right side of the chest? He calls this location in the body the heart center where consciousness resides, and as technology has advanced scientists have correlated emotions with pictures of the chest that depict what's happening inside the body.

Been thinkin' about that, and how emotions can cause literal heart pains, from that region.
Thank you.

I'm not familiar with him but there is no doubt that the heart is strongly affected by emotional states.

Post by Age »

Maia wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:13 pm
Age wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:09 pm

To me, Paganism means living in harmony with, and being an integral part of, nature. Or at least, as much as this is possible.
But absolutely EVERY 'thing' is, being, an integral part of 'nature'. If that 'being' or 'doing' is actually in harmony with nature or not is another thing.

Obviously, working, for money, is NOT actually living in harmony with nature, at all.