Why God is known as a He

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: Why God is known as a He

Post by Harbal »

Belinda wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:57 am Alternatively you might focus on the interesting topic.
As you are probably the person on this forum whom I would least want to displease, Belinda, I am going to follow your advice.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Thanks Harbal. :D

I'd better edit what I wrote there: I may be demoted from that status at any point.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Harbal wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:41 am
Sculptor wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:29 am
This is a no brainer
In fact, a brain would be a serious impediment to a thread such as this. :)
Aye, a brain would tend to be an impediment to the entire Forum, sadly :lol:
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Belinda wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:57 am
This is a no brainer
Alternatively you might focus on the interesting topic.
It's not that interesting. You might as well ask why Ganesh is in the image of an elephant
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:32 am Nevertheless,in the Lord woman is not independent of man nor man of woman; for as woman was made from man, so man is now born of woman. And all things are from God." The Good News: Men and women rely on each other.

Jesus proclaims: Men will be victims of death so long as women give birth. I come to destroy the works of women.

God is the seed. Woman is the fruit of the seed …the birth of the seed is the death of its birth.

The son of the father and mother is the mind. Only the mind is born, and that which is born will surely die.

Religion is humanity’s attempt to understand it’s place and reason for being.

There is absolutely nothing the human mind can ponder into the nature of existence that will make any rational sense, no matter, nonsense is better than nothing which is the same thing in a sense.

All your knowledge including the idea of you as you are known…has its origin in absolute nothingness.

Self inquiry is a myth, …self is an energy that boxes with its own shadows…..self inquiry is just energy looking for itself in the reflections of its own light….all very futile and pointless.
God is a man because the early Jewish culture was run by men.
There is no other reason.
This is a no brainer
Point is, a concept known is an idea that has never been seen or touched physically.

There is no way to know what anything is, except in this artificial conception.

Seeing has never seen the seer. Knowing has never known the knower.

Every known concept is imagined by no one.

Belief makes imagination seem real.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:14 pm
There is such a thing as awareness, and it calls itself "I". I am that awareness that calls itself "I". I know this because I am aware. I cannot know anything else for sure, but if I don't want to spend the full lifespan that is alloted to an awareness attempting to be unaware of anything, which would be terrifically boring, the only thing for it is to regard what I am aware of as reality. And it is in fact reality, simply by virtue of the fact that that is what I call it.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Harbal wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:52 pm
There is such a thing as awareness, and it calls itself "I". I am that awareness that calls itself "I". I know this because I am aware. I cannot know anything else for sure, but if I don't want to spend the full lifespan that is alloted to an awareness attempting to be unaware of anything, which would be terrifically boring, the only thing for it is to regard what I am aware of as reality. And it is in fact reality, simply by virtue of the fact that that is what I call it.
But do you agree that it is meaningful to make a distinction between imagination and reality?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:19 pm

But do you agree that it is meaningful to make a distinction between imagination and reality?
Yes, but you would have to be more specific for me to know exactly what you mean.

Btw, the post you quoted was my feeble attempt to bridge the gap between normal language and the variety Dontask uses. I didn't mean it to be taken too seriously. :)
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Harbal wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:28 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:19 pm

Yes, but you would have to be more specific for me to know exactly what you mean.

Btw, the post you quoted was my feeble attempt to bridge the gap between normal language and the variety Dontask uses. I didn't mean it to be taken too seriously. :)
I see - you had me worried there for a moment
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

God is known as a he in some religions, as a she in others, as both in others.

But the tendency to make God a he likely has much to do with who had power in a society.

And making God the father with no mother, well, that's just denial.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

I'm talking about the knower, which is just another word for awareness, or self. This self cannot know itself because there is only SELF...in other words, there is NO SELF because there is only SELF.

Paradoxically, this self CAN know itself, but only as this NOT-KNOWING empty formless pure awareness, which is already self-evident.
This does not deny the existence of the objective reality, it just means the objective reality is not your immediate direct experience.

The Self is formless awareness, its not something that can be experienced as an object known as the concept (HE or SHE)

Non-duality is the only truth worth understanding, worth pondering, and worth knowing. Everything else is just a human PREACHY MIND-CONTROLING DOGMATIC BRAINWASHING pile of erroneous lying JUNK.

Vedanta’s Definition of God: There Is No God — There Is Nothing But God
The Self, formless awareness, is all that actually exists. It is satyam; the ground of existence. Eternal and unbound by time, the Self is non-dual; an undivided whole unaffected by anything that happens in the phenomenal world.

Though the Self can’t be known as an object of experience, its existence is self-evident. To experience an object automatically presupposes a subject — otherwise, how would the object be known?

The problem is the Self can never experience itself as an object because it itself is forever the subject.

To use an analogy, a camera can take picture of any object within its range. The one thing the camera can never do is photograph itself. Without the use of a mirror, you’ll never see the camera in any photograph. Its existence, however, is self-evident. The very fact the photograph exists proves the existence of the camera.

The same logic applies to the Self. It isn’t available for perception as an object of knowledge because it is itself the subject; that by which all is known and experienced.

The Subject Can Never Be Known As the Object

A self can never see its self...without a mirror....the objective world is the mirror in which the seer looks at itself. The mirror reflection of the seer is the same one emptiness appearing full, the objective world is an apparent apparition..that's all.

We do not need to be full of philosophical theories about the nature of self or I

The truth is for all to know right here and now ...where it's always hiding in PLAIN SIGHT

No thing knows or sees itself...as an image of the imageless....this is all that needs to be known and seen.

“Some religions say there is only one God. Vedanta says there is only God.”
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Harbal wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:52 pm
Awareness is the emptiness aware of things, but can never directly experience the thing it is aware of. The thing being inseparable from the awareness of it - awareness being the only experience. The thing, in and of itself, does not have it's own awareness or experience, things have no autonomy outside of awareness knowing..

You will never experience anything outside of your own awareness. Everything that you see and perceive appears in this awareness - in you.

The entire world of form is, therefore, nothing but an appearance in the Self.
Last edited by Dontaskme on Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Yah, but the Self ain't a he (only). And none of the above - two posts up -focuses on that. Vedanta never cared much for emotions.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:48 am
Belinda wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:57 am

Alternatively you might focus on the interesting topic.
It's not that interesting. You might as well ask why Ganesh is in the image of an elephant
Yes. But a lot of people don't know that it's actually an anthropological question.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Personalising God: A Convenient Danger

Most of the time, discourse and debates about God are pointless.

Both sides, whether staunchly theist or atheist, are simply arguing about a concept.

Throughout the ages, the most enduring concept of God is of some kind of all-powerful super-being. He is usually envisaged as an old man with a long white beard and flowing robes, sitting on a throne in the heavens looking down on the creation and casting judgement on his lowly creations.

The irony is that while theologians say that God created us in His image, we have essentially created God in our image. Because we humans consider ourselves the highest form of life on the planet, we conceptualize God as a more powerful version of ourselves, complete with a personality and human traits such as will, anger, love, and vengefulness.

This anthropomorphized conception of God can lead to problems, because, the human ego being what it is, we are then inclined to proclaim that “my God” is better than “your God”.

What we fail to realize is that my ‘personal God’ is just a symbol for the formless, impersonal, universal consciousness which, for lack of a better word, Vedanta calls Ishvara.

You are the truth right here and now...but Religion has led you away from what you already are.

The truth is all here...if your interested, if you are not interested, then that's ok too...because it's all the same one reality whether it's seen as interesting or not.

I'm just a messenger, and no one is being forced to read this message. No thing cares, where truth be known or not, because no thing will ever alter or change the living truth...because its forever unbroken, unchangeable and constant, infinitely forever eternal.

https://www.unbrokenself.com/vedanta-god/