The Book of Mirdad by Mikhail Naimi

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

VestnikRA

The Book of Mirdad by Mikhail Naimi

Post by VestnikRA »

I would like to share with you this increadible book (one of my favorite ones) that made a significant impact on my life: The Book of Mirdad by Mikhail Naimi. Here is an excerpt from the book:
MIRDAD: Love is the Law of God.
You live that you may learn to love.
You love that you may learn to live.
No other lesson is required of Man.
And what is it to love but for the lover to absorb forever the beloved so that the twain be one?
And whom, or what, is one to love? Is one to choose a certain leaf upon the Tree of Life and pour upon it all one's heart? What of the branch that bears the leaf? What of the stem that holds the branch? What of the bark that shields the stem? What of the roots that feed the bark, the stem, the branches and the leaves? What of the soil embosoming the roots? What of the sun, and sea, and air that fertilize the soil?
If one small leaf upon a tree be worthy of your love how much more so the tree in its entirety? The love that singles out a fraction of the whole foredooms itself to grief.
nameless

Re: The Book of Mirdad by Mikhail Naimi

Post by nameless »

I, too, have found 'love' to be an egoless (prideless) state of being in which there is no 'subject' and no 'object' (as it is egoless); it is simply what you are.
(Exactly the opposite of the egofilled prideful belief that "I am God"! Perhaps that's why such 'egoic pride' is considered a 'sin' in that it keeps one from perceiving that 'pure state of being that is love'?)
VestnikRA

Post by VestnikRA »

nameless, and what do you say of this (again from the Book of Mirdad)?

"The Overcomer do I preach - Man unified and master of himself. Man made a prisoner by the love of a woman, and a woman made prisoner by the love of man are equally unfit for Freedom´s precious crown. But man and woman made as one by love, inseparable , indistnguishable are verily entitled to that prize.
No love is Love that subjugates the Lover.
No love is Love that feeds on flesh and blood.
No love is Love that draws a woman to a man only to breed
more women and men and thus perpetuate their bondage to the flesh..."
nameless

Post by nameless »

VestnikRA wrote:nameless, and what do you say of this (again from the Book of Mirdad)?
I just found the book online in pdf format, but I'm having trouble reading pdf files at the moment. OK, I found it HERE. I'll give it a try.
(My last book was about 200 pages. I trimmed the 'fat' and it's down to about 6 pages, so far.)
I'll give it a try...
I am not sure what you are looking for in my response. Understanding that philosophy is critical thoughtful examination, I need not go in that direction. What I'll do is assume the truth of the Perspective offered and attempt to translate it that it may be also true in this Perspective
"The Overcomer do I preach -

The term 'Overcomer', the egoic pat on the back taking credit for that which is not our doing; "Look at me! Look at what I can do! What I have done! Why can't you? Because you aren't as wonderful as I am! Etc..."
"Self-improvement is masturbation, self-destruction is the key!"
Man unified and master of himself.

Preach it 'till cows fly, but I have yet to see any way to take this beyond egoic pride.
It is warm sentimental egoic pride that fills the space where the egoless loving empathic bliss state might have been. It is a poor, but convincing, substitute sor/if the egoless state has not been experienced.
Man made a prisoner by the love of a woman, and a woman made prisoner by the love of man are equally unfit for Freedom´s precious crown.

Poetic, but I know of no such thing as "Freedom". I understand that it is a concept in some minds/thoughts and a desperately held belief of many. Much carnage follows in the wake of such beliefs!
Both 'bondage' and 'freedom' are thoughts, and vanish with thoughts/ego. I cannot be 'made a prisoner'.
But man and woman made as one by love, inseparable , indistnguishable are verily entitled to that prize.
Again, poetic, and I understand the sentiment (though not the sexism).
When I speak of love, I can only honestly relate that which I understand, 'love' is an egoless state with no subject or object. One, at that time, is love. It shines forth as the rays of the sun, indiscriminately falling on all it encounters (i.e.; darshan).
No love is Love that subjugates the Lover.
No love is Love that feeds on flesh and blood.
Not according to my definition, but certainly according to the definitions of some others.
It is so if perceived to be so.
So much more than any single Perspective can perceive.
No love is Love that draws a woman to a man only to breed
more women and men and thus perpetuate their bondage to the flesh..."
Eh... same old religious 'keep-it-in-your-pants' song and dance. Nothing too radical there.
We are flesh and we have only two imperatives; survive and procreate. These are 'cosmic forces' at play, and; "the more energy expended trying to destroy (or alter or subvert) a force of cosmic origin, that much energy is added to the force."
I have witnessed the 'unpleasant effects' of attempted 'renunciation' when I lived/worked at a monestary/temple.

Liber Boomerang
(from 'Liber Kaos, the Psychonomicon' by Pete Carroll)

A god ignored is a demon born.
That which is denied gains in power and seeks strange and unexpected forms of manifestation.
Deny Death, and other forms of Suicide will arise.
Deny Sex and bizzare forms of its expression will torment you.
Deny Love and absurd sentimentalities will disable you.
Deny Aggression only to stare, eventually, at the smoking gun in your shaking hand.
Deny honest Fear and Desire only to create senseless neuroticism and avarice.
Deny Laughter and the world laughs at you.
Deny Magic only to become a confused robot, inexplicable even unto yourself.
Last edited by nameless on Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VestnikRA

Post by VestnikRA »

nameless, how do you find the book?
This is also one of Osho's favorite books. This is what he says about it:
"Millions of people have tried to write books so that they can express the inexpresible,
but have utterly failed. I know only one book, THE BOOK OF MIRDAD, which has not failed; and if you cannot get to the very essence of it, it will be your failure, not his!"
nameless

Post by nameless »

It's a slow read so far, just creating some context. I'm only on page eleven. I'll try to get in another ten pages or so today or tomorrow and perhaps there will be the beginning of a sharable opinion.
Parenthetically, why should 'Osho's' opinions mean anything to me? Everyone has one and they are all valid...
Besides, I find celebrity endorsements to be (inherently suspect) common and meaningless (and a fallacy).

So far, I must admit, that the many typos and the forced juvenile attempts at poetry detracts from the reading. Perhaps they are there to weed out the riff-raff.
We'll see...

There are also some notable (to me, anyway) quotes and passages, such as the following (on ego);
"When I... (saw the naked and defenseless stranger), my heart bristled with daggers which I wished to thrust into him... My very bowels cried out against him! Every drop of blood in my veins wished to crush him! Ask me not for an explanation. Perhaps this penetrating eye did strip my soul naked, and it frightened me to see to see my soul unclothed before any man. Perhaps his purity unveiled my filth, and it grieved me to loose the veils, which i had so long woven for my filth. For filth has ever loved veils. "

"Like all defeated pride, mine would not give up the fight until it saw itself sprewled out and trampled in the dust."
Alright, i have finally reached Chapter 1.

It is as awfully wordy as my first book, and approximately the same length. I trimmed it to six pages with no wasted words. Simply a difference in style, perhaps, but it is difficult to dig through all the flowery language while remaining mindful for the occassional pearl.
Perhaps all will be different, now, as I give Chapter 1 a peek. If it remains as crowded and wordy, i can't see myself continuing the endeavor.
But, who knows. i just read some of the book and edit this post, adding some thoughts as i go.

Okey dokey, here we go;
I'm seeing a pseudo-mystical mishmash of overly flowery language that, if one gets off on this sort of 'Revelations' style rip-off pile of words, might be of use as a sort of mandala, and perceive what can be perceived. One would have to find benefit if for no other reason then to justify the time and energy spent wading through this ocean of molasses!
Finding recognizable patterns in a 'friendly' pile of words is not difficult. Again, 'friendly' if you get off on this sort of stuff.
It takes a bit from here and a bit from there and can speak to some, I'm sure (figure of speech).
But it is cloying to me and requires too much effore that can bear, perhaps, more fruit if turned towards taking a walk, or meditation.

And now Chapter 2 is telling me how ego, rather then having to be transcended and overcome , etc... as is commonly taught by mystics and seers throughout the millennia, this guy is telling us that the egoic 'I' is a god creator. The very seductively whispered lies of the serpent in the garden! Presented without the discretion demanded by conscience and humility but with fanfare for the times; You are the god of your world!

It might have some value, but what they are is for the particular Perspective to discern/perceive. With the ones that I have already seen, I am familiar. They can be stated much more clearly and succinctly without all the 'sauce'.
But, that is taste.
So my (premature?) comments is that it leaves me gagging and, yet, has something that, for some, will be seen as wonderful.
Something for everyone, but i think that all the truth in the book does not hide the stink of vanity as presented. That bit of 'corruption' will eat at our wide-eyed reader until he suffers from the fruits of such (the only) 'sin' (as offered by religion and mystical tradition).
The most beautiful home, built on corruption, is an unfit dwelling!
Again, the old "I am god!" routine falls into a stuttering chorus of "a homina homina homina..." the first time the godlike arm waves and (nothing happens) the Universe doesn't alter in accord with your (divine) 'will' (more vanity!).

Ultimately, I wouldn't recomment the book for two reasons;
It sells corruption festooned with garlands of happy truths, and;
whoever must read it is already doing so.
There is no choice.
end of transmission