What can we do about Bennu?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/na ... d=msedgntp

I have terrible news. The asteroid that looked like it might rear end earth in 2135 is a worthless rubble pile - a ball of rocks 500m end to end to end - we can't capture or divert because it's 20-40% empty space - a loose collection of rocks that would surely come apart under the gravitational effects of any such venture. Nasa has slashed the odds of impact to 1600/1 - so they're basically saying it won't hit the earth, but it will pass close by. How close you might wonder? It's an obvious question - you won't find answered in the above article. Between earth and the moon? What if it hits the moon, or comes apart, and the parts are captured by earth's gravity due to their diminished mass. That would be very bad news. Hence the question. What can we do about Bennu?

Something else you won't find in the article above is how much Bennu weighs in tonnes. On wikipedia Bennu's mass is listed as (7.329±0.009)×10"10 kg. Who is this wiki article written for - and/or by? Is this effective science communication? I think not. It took the best part of an hour to work out how big it is, what its made of, how fast it's going and what it weighs, and other than how close it will get, when - that's basically all I wanted to know. If that Wikipedia entry were written by one Nasa scientist, it could only be for the benefit of another. Is that what wikipedia is for - for know it all's to show off?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/101955_Be ... cteristics
Dontaskme

Re: What can we do about Bennu?

Post by Dontaskme »

We can do nothing about potential harmful events.

Same as we cannot do anything about being born into a reality where there is the potential to be caught up in horrific harmful events.

Nature spawned living sentient organisms just so that they would all die. Spawing life is / was to spawn a death sentence.

It's all very pointless and stupid really. But then that's all you would expect from a brainless natural event like the one that is being experienced right now.

The human brain is a simulator. Simulators are made of nothing, nothing is braining.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:23 am What can we do about Bennu?

We can do nothing about potential harmful events. Same as we cannot do anything about being born into a reality where there is the potential to be caught up in horrific harmful events. Nature spawned living sentient organisms just so that they would all die. Spawing life is / was to spawn a death sentence. It's all very pointless and stupid really. But then that's all you would expect from a brainless natural event like the one that is being experienced right now. The human brain is a simulator. Simulators are made of nothing, nothing is braining.
That's the spirit!
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

CDB2AC46-BF53-4EA6-AC19-351F92105375.jpeg
CDB2AC46-BF53-4EA6-AC19-351F92105375.jpeg (48.47 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
Don't know if it qualifies as a planet killer, but it would pack a wallop.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Vitruvius wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:55 pm

We can do nothing about potential harmful events. Same as we cannot do anything about being born into a reality where there is the potential to be caught up in horrific harmful events. Nature spawned living sentient organisms just so that they would all die. Spawing life is / was to spawn a death sentence. It's all very pointless and stupid really. But then that's all you would expect from a brainless natural event like the one that is being experienced right now. The human brain is a simulator. Simulators are made of nothing, nothing is braining.
That's the spirit!
lol
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:55 pm Don't know if it qualifies as a planet killer, but it would pack a wallop.
"If Bennu did slam into Earth, it wouldn’t wipe out life, dinosaur-style, but rather create a crater roughly 10 to 20 times the size of the asteroid, said Lindley Johnson, Nasa’s planetary defense officer. The area of devastation would be much bigger: as much as 100 times the size of the crater."

Initially, when I saw Bennus trajectory - I was thinking we should catch it, and park it in orbit. Even a rocky asteroid could serve as an anchor for a tether - stretching down from low earth orbit - 125km, into high earth atmosphere - 35-50km, reachable by balloon; such that we could balloon into space, and transport cargo both ways at minimal cost!

Many other asteroids contain precious commodities like metals and water, that we could mine and make use of - should we wish to build land, or rocket factories in space, but as far as I can tell - Bennu is nothing but a hazard. It's a pile of rubble - of no use to man. So, the first - and most obvious solution is, plant a bomb on it, or rather inside it, and blow it up Bruce Willis style! Turn Bennu the asteroid - a shotgun blast from space, into Bennu the harmless meteor shower!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:55 pm CDB2AC46-BF53-4EA6-AC19-351F92105375.jpeg

Don't know if it qualifies as a planet killer, but it would pack a wallop.
Hey, where's the Twin Towers in the pic, maybe a cuppla jumbo jets could take it out, after the US train some dudes that have to walk around a big black box once in their life..too soon!? :D
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Vitruvius wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:29 pm
henry quirk wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:55 pm Don't know if it qualifies as a planet killer, but it would pack a wallop.
"If Bennu did slam into Earth, it wouldn’t wipe out life, dinosaur-style, but rather create a crater roughly 10 to 20 times the size of the asteroid, said Lindley Johnson, Nasa’s planetary defense officer. The area of devastation would be much bigger: as much as 100 times the size of the crater."

Initially, when I saw Bennus trajectory - I was thinking we should catch it, and park it in orbit. Even a rocky asteroid could serve as an anchor for a tether - stretching down from low earth orbit - 125km, into high earth atmosphere - 35-50km, reachable by balloon; such that we could balloon into space, and transport cargo both ways at minimal cost!

Many other asteroids contain precious commodities like metals and water, that we could mine and make use of - should we wish to build land, or rocket factories in space, but as far as I can tell - Bennu is nothing but a hazard. It's a pile of rubble - of no use to man. So, the first - and most obvious solution is, plant a bomb on it, or rather inside it, and blow it up Bruce Willis style! Turn Bennu the asteroid - a shotgun blast from space, into Bennu the harmless meteor shower!
...I think we should just build a really really really really big bouncy castle, and maybe put Ji Jing Ping Pong in the middle with the rest of his sycophants...it's a win win.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:37 pm
...I think we should just build a really really really really big bouncy castle...
I totally accept these are crazy things to think about, but thinking seriously about crazy things - is quite enough crazy, thanks!
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:27 pm
Vitruvius wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:55 pm

That's the spirit!
lol
There's plenty to choose from. I've heard spirits take the edge off the pain.

It's the funny juice, never fails to hit the G spot. And is why most humans spend most of their allotted time, which is not a lot of time, getting totally wasted, anything to get out of their mental mind. LOL

Alas, for the Spiritual folk, the addiction is too strong to resist, so they remain weak and dependant. Always trying to escape what they are addicted to...it's all just a mental mind fuck.

attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Vitruvius wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:46 pm
...I think we should just build a really really really really big bouncy castle...
I totally accept these are crazy things to think about, but thinking seriously about crazy things - is quite enough crazy, thanks!
...dah...knew all it required was at least 3 more 'really' s to make sense. :D
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Vitruvius wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:46 pmI totally accept these are crazy things to think about, but thinking seriously about crazy things - is quite enough crazy, thanks!
attofishpi wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:37 pm ...dah...knew all it required was at least 3 more 'really' s to make sense. :D
Less is more in humour. Brevity is the soul of wit. The bouncy castle thing was funny, but could have done with one less "really." Personally, I could have done without the 9/11 gag altogether, and the insult to a foreign leader!

Too Soon is the cousin he had assassinated!

No, stop it! This isn't a joke thread!!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Vitruvius wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:29 pm
Vitruvius wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:46 pmI totally accept these are crazy things to think about, but thinking seriously about crazy things - is quite enough crazy, thanks!
attofishpi wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:37 pm ...dah...knew all it required was at least 3 more 'really' s to make sense. :D
Less is more in humour. Brevity is the soul of wit. The bouncy castle thing was funny, but could have done with one less "really." Personally, I could have done without the 9/11 gag altogether, and the insult to a foreign leader!

Ok, sorry...it's Friday night here and I do allow myself a few bevvies ...ok gonna get serious now cos there is a big rock heading towards Earth.

I'll talk to my mate Elon Musk, he's got a mate called Bezos who knows a bloke that knows a bloke they call Branson, apparently he is an arsehole virgin, but wot real man isn't with a task such as this.

So.

My plan I will pitch to these blokes is we put a MASSIVE rocket pointing INTO the Earth to change Earth's trajectory...

...otherwise there is a plan B but I don't think you will like it.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Vitruvius wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:29 pmLess is more in humour. Brevity is the soul of wit. The bouncy castle thing was funny, but could have done with one less "really." Personally, I could have done without the 9/11 gag altogether, and the insult to a foreign leader!

attofishpi wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:47 pmOk, sorry...it's Friday night here and I do allow myself a few bevvies ...ok gonna get serious now cos there is a big rock heading towards Earth.

I'll talk to my mate Elon Musk, he's got a mate called Bezos who knows a bloke that knows a bloke they call Branson, apparently he is an arsehole virgin, but wot real man isn't with a task such as this.

So.

My plan I will pitch to these blokes is we put a MASSIVE rocket pointing INTO the Earth to change Earth's trajectory...

You might be onto something. If we moved the earth a bit further away from the sun, we could dodge Bennu and solve climate change at the same time! Win win! I wouldn't use a rocket though. What we need is a really, really, really big lever - and somewhere to stand!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Vitruvius wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:52 pm
Vitruvius wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:29 pmLess is more in humour. Brevity is the soul of wit. The bouncy castle thing was funny, but could have done with one less "really." Personally, I could have done without the 9/11 gag altogether, and the insult to a foreign leader!

attofishpi wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:47 pmOk, sorry...it's Friday night here and I do allow myself a few bevvies ...ok gonna get serious now cos there is a big rock heading towards Earth.

So.

You might be onto something. If we moved the earth a bit further away from the sun, we could dodge Bennu and solve climate change at the same time! Win win! I wouldn't use a rocket though. What we need is a really, really, really big lever - and somewhere to stand!
..yes, the moon...now we just need a really really really big spoon for a lever, or plan B.