solving racism

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: solving racism

Post by Sculptor »

promethean75 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:37 pm The assbackwardness of multiracial coexistence in society: people of different races with different cultures and customs and habits and interests demand of others that they be considered 'equal' where it is entirely impossible to do so, but do not demand to be counted as equal where it is entirely possible to do so; in their right to receive the full value of their labor and to have full democratic control of the means and modes of production that they participate in.
Rubbish.
This is just a reworking of a misconceived understanding of two completely distinct meanings of "Equality".

It does not matter and should not matter that people are different. You are definitley not the same as me, and I would not want to be you or like you. I do not care what your age, race, gender is. And neither does it matter. It does not matter who your ancestors are nor that you have different ones to me. Because unless we are twins, we definitley are different.

Yet we CAN be considered equal. And it is only because you are confusing the meaning of the word in the context of political discussions.
This is an age old trick of the racist politicians, that seek to divide and rule, for people to avert the gaze from their corruptions.
EQUAL means equality under the law, with an aspiriation of equality of opportunity.

It is not a plea that we all have to be the same.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

I don't disagree with any of that, except the part where u said u wouldn't want to be me. You must have have bumped your head when u said that.

BTW I have no problems with the niggars. I think they're wonderful people.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

You can't solve racism in US when cops fill out the form for arrests when RACE: is answered with "black".

Bloody ridiculous, is BLACK a race?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:27 pm You can't solve racism in US when cops fill out the form for arrests when RACE: is answered with "black".

Most people to whom it applies prefer that designation.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

commonsense wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:52 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:27 pm You can't solve racism in US when cops fill out the form for arrests when RACE: is answered with "black".

Prefer it to what?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:56 pm

Prefer it to what?
To anything else.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

commonsense wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:24 pm

Prefer it to what?
To anything else.
Prefer it to African American?

Are Indians black?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:10 am

Prefer it to what?
To anything else.

Are Indians black?
Now I get it. You’re feigning ignorance so that you can play a joke on me. Ha-ha!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

commonsense wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:41 am

To anything else.

Are Indians black?
Now I get it. You’re feigning ignorance so that you can play a joke on me. Ha-ha!
No I'm being serious. In what universe is "BLACK" a race?

Do the cops put down "BLACK" if they arrest an Indian (from India with dark skin)?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:45 am

Are Indians black?

Do the cops put down "BLACK" if they arrest an Indian (from India with dark skin)?
The use of “black” for their race was coined by people who are African Americans (which is also correct but more formal).

I don’t know what cops (law enforcement officers) put on their forms for Indians from India, but the term commonly used by woke people is “brown people”, which refers to non-white people other than blacks.

“People of color” is the phrase commonly used to reference non-white people as a single group.

Where have you been living since the 60s?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

commonsense wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:03 am

The use of “black” for their race was coined by people who are African Americans (which is also correct but more formal).
Can you cite a reference for that?

commonsense wrote:I don’t know what cops (law enforcement officers) put on their forms for Indians from India, but the term commonly used by woke people is “brown people”, which refers to non-white people other than blacks.
What I am attempting to point out is that putting the hue of someone's skin colour on a form is NOT A RACE!!

..and it seems extremely racist to do so.

commonsense wrote:“People of color” is the phrase commonly used to reference non-white people as a single group.

Where have you been living since the 60s?
Prior to the 70s I have no idea, maybe I was an African American somewhere in the US. :wink:
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Ha! I knew that I was right to suspect that this was a trap all along. Nevertheless I will reply as follows:
My personal experience reading The Washington Post and watching CBS News on television in the 1960s.
commonsense wrote:I don’t know what cops (law enforcement officers) put on their forms for Indians from India, but the term commonly used by woke people is “brown people”, which refers to non-white people other than blacks.
What I am attempting to point out is that putting the hue of someone's skin colour on a form is NOT A RACE!!

..and it seems extremely racist to do so.
Blacks accept that black refers to themselves as well as it refers to a color.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

commonsense wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:32 pm Ha! I knew that I was right to suspect that this was a trap all along. Nevertheless I will reply as follows:
My personal experience reading The Washington Post and watching CBS News on television in the 1960s.
That fits with my memory.... activists and leaders, including Malcolm X and Stokely Carmichael, advocated for embracing the term "Black" to instill a sense of pride and empowerment in African American identity. They rejected "Negro" and "Colored," which were associated with historical oppression and denigration. Since then, "Black" has been widely accepted and used as a racial identifier for people of African descent in the United States. Not that it's simple. And probably some AAs wouldn't be thrilled to be called that by some non-AA they didn't know.

Negro more or less means black, but then choosing the name yourselves, rather than merely accepting a label probably feels better. Colored is pretty silly. It's as if, for example, white people don't have colors and it sure ain't white except for a few from Iceland and even then.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

commonsense wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:32 pm Ha! I knew that I was right to suspect that this was a trap all along. Nevertheless I will reply as follows:
But it wasn't a trap. I truly did not know that it was accepted in US that "black" = African American. I truly thought people with brown skin of other races might be written on the form for race as 'black' also.

PS. Thanks for clearing that up!
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

I suppose I ought to start identifying myself as a "white American of European descent". I don't think I have any relatives from the Caucasus mountains.