Do any of you clowns have a fucking job?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Do any of you clowns have a fucking job?

Post by Lacewing »

:lol:

I've wondered how many people here are simply sitting around stewing in their stagnant mental states, while they spout off about one manic thing or another?

Who here has a real paying job and doesn't routinely rely on any kind of government financial assistance/payouts?

After all, how broad can your perspectives be if you're not interacting regularly in the larger world, rather than just talking about it in some self-serving twisted way?

Speaking for myself, I've almost always been employed (either as an employee or as an independent consultant), including my current technical job for many years. I also interact with lots of people on a regular basis, and have many good friendships in which I talk about philosophy and life face-to-face with people. This is not some sort of boast -- this is just a statement about my own situation.

It appears that some of the routine posters here are unemployed and fairly anti-social, and I'm wondering why you would think you have any real clarity if you are fairly isolated and rely on electronics (computer, tv, radio, etc.) for all of your skewed/limited experience and programming?
henry quirk

Re: Do any of you clowns have a fucking job?

Post by henry quirk »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:04 pmAs I say: I self-employ, and I do so in a gray area sphere (information). I find it, convey it, wash my hands of it.
i.e.: I'm a researcher.

So, yeah, I work, pay my bills, am not on the dole.

And: good on you that you too aren't a parasite.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

I had a job. Good riddance.

Being jobless gives me more time to interact with people outside of my "usual" circle actually.

Even though I was exposed to a diverse set of perspectives from all people who participate in the big pond that is global technology, it's still an echo chamber. Still, in so far as human sub-cultures go, it's an anti-establishment establishment.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:11 pm :lol:

I've wondered how many people here are simply sitting around stewing in their stagnant mental states, while they spout off about one manic thing or another?

Who here has a real paying job and doesn't routinely rely on any kind of government financial assistance/payouts?

After all, how broad can your perspectives be if you're not interacting regularly in the larger world, rather than just talking about it in some self-serving twisted way?

Speaking for myself, I've almost always been employed (either as an employee or as an independent consultant), including my current technical job for many years. I also interact with lots of people on a regular basis, and have many good friendships in which I talk about philosophy and life face-to-face with people. This is not some sort of boast -- this is just a statement about my own situation.

It appears that some of the routine posters here are unemployed and fairly anti-social, and I'm wondering why you would think you have any real clarity if you are fairly isolated and rely on electronics (computer, tv, radio, etc.) for all of your skewed/limited experience and programming?
You make good points. I am honestly curious, though, about what leads you to say what you’ve said.

For example, I have the impression that you feel that a life in isolation precludes a person from making worthwhile contributions to forum discussions. Is that so?

Is It that without a workplace for discussions a person’s insight is hampered? Could it be that workless people spend an excessive amount of time without focuse , visiting too many topics?

I am in general agreement with you. Could you please say more about what justifies our position?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

What's my job??
Take a wild guess!

ATM, my teaching is curtailed as is my access to the studio.
A group of us are busy forging an online presence. This involves learning video direction, design, editing, etc.
uwot

Post by uwot »

A fucking job sounds like a gas. Where do I apply?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

uwot wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:59 pm A fucking job sounds like a gas. Where do I apply?
🌟
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:11 pm :lol:

So in other words you're asking if we're either a clone like you, you know a parrot, or original thinkers, that are able to see outside the box that society places all of us into via childhood programming?

My job entails: hunting and gathering; maintaining a shelter, and all my things; selling what I make from earth's resources; sleeping and exercising; playing music on hollow wood with attached skins stretched tight; and so I guess primarily it's the job of living, as originally it was.

:wink: :kiss:
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Wow, these responses are GREAT! Especially uwot's request for a fucking job. Thanks guys! I was just being feisty and thought it was a funny topic to explore. :lol:

No, I do not think a job is necessary to be a thoughtful, philosophical person. Nor is being overly social necessary. I tend to be a hermit, myself, as I work from home -- but I don't watch much news anymore, and I have a lot of good friends I communicate with via text and email, and we get together now and then. We help remind each other of clarity and balance and love. Especially when the world seems to be going off the rails.

People who are inclined to be extreme, or who only think in black and white, will probably tend towards doing that even more in the current climate. And I just mainly wonder if extreme people who seem to be going off the rails too, are maintaining jobs and good social connections? What kind of balancing mechanisms do they have?
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

I dont have a job and my balancing mechanism is to be as detached as possible about anything that does not directly affect me
I am a pragmatist so only concern myself with what is possible rather than what is desirable which is what an idealist would do
I just keep to myself and find something that keeps me busy in the meantime while accepting the inevitability of my mortality
Stach77

Post by Stach77 »

I am a student, working voluntary in Italy right now. From 2017 to now i managed to live in three countries (Poland, Ireland, Italy) and visit for longer time some more (USA, Malta) passing by some other (Canada, Germany, GB). I integrated with people with God knows how many countries (live, not through social media). All not by my own force but kind of provided, so i cannot boast myself of doing it alone, although all come from certain decisions I made (if you are more interested look at 'introduce yourself' section, i joined recently so my introduction is somewhere at the top).
I am looking forward to study and work, so i think that i am not separated from the earth (at least by external conditions, my head is a different story sometimes).
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:57 pm I self-employ, and I do so in a gray area sphere (information). I find it, convey it, wash my hands of it.

Is your paid research as skewed toward your own beliefs as the views you present on this forum? Seems like a good researcher... a truthful researcher... would present varying views in a balanced way, so that conclusions could be broadly sound, rather than narrowly contrived.

Or are you passively content to be a pawn/soldier/messenger of narrow-minded thinking? :D
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Lacewing wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:57 pm
henry quirk wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:57 pm I self-employ, and I do so in a gray area sphere (information). I find it, convey it, wash my hands of it.

Is your paid research as skewed toward your own beliefs as the views you present on this forum? Seems like a good researcher... a truthful researcher... would present varying views in a balanced way, so that conclusions could be broadly sound, rather than narrowly contrived.

Or are you passively content to be a soldier/pawn of narrow-minded thinking? :D
some doggie is lookin' for a playmate

go sniff another butt: mine is busy
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:59 pm
Lacewing wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:57 pm

Or are you passively content to be a soldier/pawn/messenger of narrow-minded thinking? :D
some doggie is lookin' for a playmate

go sniff another butt: mine is busy
My questions are reasonable considering what you post on this forum while you claim to be a researcher. Is your research skewed too?