What is Philosophy?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Re: What is Philosophy?

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

tapaticmadness wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:19 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:45 am

Those who had mental issues are cured of their God experiences when are treated and got cured.

I read what you write and I wonder what is wrong with you. Why are you so worked up about this? To blame all the world's troubles on religion is ridiculous. What is eating at you?
Point is I provided the facts and my claim is objective and that warrant moral and ethical concern.
On the other hand, you provided no justifiable evidence to complain about my stance.

You are the one with the problem where you are so indifferent to the evil and negatives associated with religions especially the organized ones.
If you who is sacrificing humanity to the altar of evil for your selfish theistic reasons.

Post by Age »

Those who had mental issues are cured of their God experiences when are treated and got cured.

I read what you write and I wonder what is wrong with you. Why are you so worked up about this?
Correct me if I am wrong "veritas aequitas", but the reason "veritas aequitas" is so worked up about this is because they used to be a theist and religious, but they they "saw the light", as they say, as so does not believe God exists anymore.

It is a bit like the now non smoker who wants all the smokers around them to stop smoking, or the now vegetarian who wants all the meat eaters around them to stop eating meat and become a vegetarian, or like the born again christian who wants all the non believers to start believing.

"veritas aequitas" is now a disbeliever and wants all the believers to stop believing and start becoming disbelievers in God as well.
tapaticmadness wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:19 am To blame all the world's troubles on religion is ridiculous. What is eating at you?
Blaming "others" for every thing, means that one does not have to look at one's own self and all the wrong that they, themselves, do.
tapaticmadness

Post by tapaticmadness »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:54 am

I read what you write and I wonder what is wrong with you. Why are you so worked up about this? To blame all the world's troubles on religion is ridiculous. What is eating at you?
Point is I provided the facts and my claim is objective and that warrant moral and ethical concern.
On the other hand, you provided no justifiable evidence to complain about my stance.

You are the one with the problem where you are so indifferent to the evil and negatives associated with religions especially the organized ones.
If you who is sacrificing humanity to the altar of evil for your selfish theistic reasons.
This link doesn't connect.

youtube.com/watch?v=qIiIsDIkDtg
tapaticmadness

Post by tapaticmadness »

Factual objective evidence is just too too easy to come by. Every paranormal group is able to supply tons of data. Likewise a lot of debunking is fraudulent. Looking for evidence one way or the other is a fool’s errand. And even the very notion of evidence is unclear. As for peer reviewed, cold scientific evidence, again is so easy to produce. And destroy. The internet has made us all geniuses. It's all a matter of formatting and framing.

As for morality, for years i have been an in-your-face, Christian gay activist. I've done my share of pushing and shoving. Do you want me to give you an example? Or would you rather I didn't?
Veritas Aequitas

tapaticmadness wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:39 am
Ramachandran, the Temporal Lobes and God - Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIiIsDIkDtg

This guy suffered from temporal epilepsy and claim he experienced God and Jesus.
He got cured when he was sent to a psychiatric, a neuroscientist and given medicines.
Veritas Aequitas

tapaticmadness wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:46 am
tapaticmadness wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:19 am I read what you write and I wonder what is wrong with you. Why are you so worked up about this? To blame all the world's troubles on religion is ridiculous. What is eating at you?

Factual objective evidence is just too too easy to come by.
Every paranormal group is able to supply tons of data. Likewise a lot of debunking is fraudulent.
Looking for evidence one way or the other is a fool’s errand.
And even the very notion of evidence is unclear. As for peer reviewed, cold scientific evidence, again is so easy to produce. And destroy. The internet has made us all geniuses. It's all a matter of formatting and framing.
It is all boils down to these two;
  • 1. Factual objective knowledge justified with evidences and arguments albeit they come in a range of credibility condition upon the Framework they are produced.
    or
    2. Pure speculations without empirical justification and sound arguments.
If you are recommended to have brain surgery due to a medical problem that is terminal or else you can last another one year, which of the following would you opt for;
  • 1. The famous brain surgeon who had performed 1000 brain surgeries successful based on objective facts from medical science and experiences,
    or
    2. The fundamental theists who insist God is all-powerful, thus one is require to pray constantly and God will cure you in time or the shaman who insist his traditional medicines will cure you.
Surely the rational person will choose option 1.
Whilst there is no 100% certainty, option 1 will provide the greater chance of the result and longer term survival.

Yes, objective facts and evidence can be manipulated but the point with objectivity is if you are doubtful, you can do the test to see whether you can repeat the conclusions as claims.
The point with general scientific theories that is objective is they so well tested and reinforced that if you are able to prove them wrong, you would be very famous and not posting in this forum.

As I had stated the objectivity of knowledge comes in degrees of credibility depending on the circumstances. For new knowledge [modern physics, neurosciences, medicines] which has not been sufficiently tested, they could be proven wrong and this is the norm and there is no fuss on it.

What you are doing is merely condemning objective knowledge and useless and worthless, and doing nothing positive at all and do not have the intelligence to use what is available optimally within the limitations and circumstances you are in.
As for morality, for years i have been an in-your-face, Christian gay activist. I've done my share of pushing and shoving. Do you want me to give you an example? Or would you rather I didn't?
I believe Christian morality is quite optimal for the present given our current state.
What is Christian-morality in principle is restricted to what in the Gospels [its constitution] as guided by the OT and NT.
Thus what God-Jesus commands and permit in the Gospels the Christians ought to obey and act.
I am not going into whether God-Jesus permit homosexuality within the Gospels or not.
The Christian-morality whilst is good in a way, it is not completely good as it has its negative baggage within its doctrines and principles.

There is no efficient model of morality at present.
What the secular world need is an efficient Framework and System of Morality and Ethics that will guide ALL humans to the highest and greatest good without any room for bad and evil elements to creep in.
I have proposed such a model in the Morality section in this forum.
tapaticmadness

Post by tapaticmadness »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:55 am

This guy suffered from temporal epilepsy and claim he experienced God and Jesus.
He got cured when he was sent to a psychiatric, a neuroscientist and given medicines.
I watched those videos. I learned nothing new. I grew up in the 1960s when psychedelic drugs were everywhere and ideas such as were presented in that video were talked about by everyone.
Veritas Aequitas

tapaticmadness wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:00 am

I watched those videos. I learned nothing new. I grew up in the 1960s when psychedelic drugs were everywhere and ideas such as were presented in that video were talked about by everyone.
Then your inability to learn anything new reflect on your low competence of subsumption the major premise with the minor premise, inference and intelligence.

Basically the abduction,
  • The mental cases, the drug addicts, the brain damage experience God.
    Theists experience God.
    Therefore there are possible associations between theists and mental cases, the drug addicts, the brain damage.

From the above one can form the hypothesis there is a link between the theists believe in God and the mental cases, the drug addicts, the brain damage experience God.

As one need to research to establish whether there is a linkage between them or not.

You just dismiss any link between them, learn nothing new, because the lack the knowledge to do so. As such you should research more widely and deeply without bias.

I have done the above research very extensively and deeply.
I have found similarities on the grounds of theists and the mental cases, the drug addicts, the brain damage which is related to the inherent existential crisis.
tapaticmadness

Post by tapaticmadness »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:06 am

Then your inability to learn anything new reflect on your low competence of subsumption the major premise with the minor premise, inference and intelligence.

Basically the abduction,
    Theists experience God.
    Therefore there are possible associations between theists and mental cases, the drug addicts, the brain damage.

From the above one can form the hypothesis there is a link between the theists believe in God and the mental cases, the drug addicts, the brain damage experience God.

As one need to research to establish whether there is a linkage between them or not.

You just dismiss any link between them, learn nothing new, because the lack the knowledge to do so. As such you should research more widely and deeply without bias.

I have found similarities on the grounds of theists and the mental cases, the drug addicts, the brain damage which is related to the inherent existential crisis.
When we think or feel or remember or imagine something there is more than likely an associated physiological event going on in the brain. Who knows, maybe that is always the case for every mental act, I don't know. The link between that mental act and the brain event is association. That's all one can say. I think you want to go farther and say that it is identity, so that the mental act and its object ARE the brain event. That would be illogical. The mind and the brain move along parallel tracks. Parallelism. If one track disappeared, there is no logical reason the other couldn't still be there. The link you always speak of is no more than association. Nothing more.
Veritas Aequitas

tapaticmadness wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:45 am

Basically the abduction,
    Theists experience God.

When we think or feel or remember or imagine something there is more than likely an associated physiological event going on in the brain. Who knows, maybe that is always the case for every mental act, I don't know. The link between that mental act and the brain event is association. That's all one can say. I think you want to go farther and say that it is identity, so that the mental act and its object ARE the brain event. That would be illogical. The mind and the brain move along parallel tracks. Parallelism. If one track disappeared, there is no logical reason the other couldn't still be there. The link you always speak of is no more than association. Nothing more.
I am not going to waste time arguing against Dualism.

What I am interested is the linkage between the activities in the brain [collectively the mind] and the resultant acts committed by the person.

Thus the productive strategy is,
if there are 400,000+ homicides [2017 stats] per year,
then,
it has something to do with what is going on the brain [objective mnd] of the killers.

With the establishment of secular absolute objective oughts within an efficient Morality Model and understanding what is going within the brain, humanity will be able to vary the variable involved in a controlled manner to reduce the number of homicides progressively.

What proposals are you making the world a better to live in for all of humanity?
tapaticmadness

Post by tapaticmadness »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:23 am

Basically the abduction,
    Theists experience God.

What I am interested is the linkage between the activities in the brain [collectively the mind] and the resultant acts committed by the person.

then,
it has something to do with what is going on the brain [objective mnd] of the killers.

With the establishment of secular absolute objective oughts within an efficient Morality Model and understanding what is going within the brain, humanity will be able to vary the variable involved in a controlled manner to reduce the number of homicides progressively.

What proposals are you making the world a better to live in for all of humanity?
You are trying to stop some homicides by manipulating the brain of potential killers. I try to stop a headache by giving myself aspirin. The aspirin works, so why not do as you propose. I have no objection. Maybe it will work. That doesn't change my dualism.

That was the second or third time that you accused me of doing nothing to help humanity. I told you before that I was a gay activist trying to make life better for gay people. Do you not see that at doing something worthwhile? Or are you homophobic?
Veritas Aequitas

tapaticmadness wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:13 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:23 am

then,

You are trying to stop some homicides by manipulating the brain of potential killers. I try to stop a headache by giving myself aspirin. The aspirin works, so why not do as you propose. I have no objection. Maybe it will work. That doesn't change my dualism.
I have always qualified whatever actions to be taken for improvements must be tested and verified to be FOOLPROOF without side effects.

One point is I don't intend to do anything re morally with the potential killers at present.
It is a bit too late to change their already existing potential to kill other than to use secular laws and enforcement to deter them to the minimum.

What I am proposing are FOOLPROOF [without side effects] actions for the moral potential of future generations where people are born spontaneously with effective inhibitors to manage and modulate their inherent killing impulses.
That was the second or third time that you accused me of doing nothing to help humanity. I told you before that I was a gay activist trying to make life better for gay people. Do you not see that at doing something worthwhile? Or are you homophobic?
OK I agree that is a good thing which is at least something better than nothing.
However whatever you do will not be very effective due to the primal instinct of 'tribalism' which is basically the 'dualism' you propounded.
With the inherent 'tribalism' of us versus them, people will instinct distant themselves from the 'them' on any element of differences, i.e. skin color, race, politics, sexuality, etc.

The explanation for homosexuality is that it is a natural thing within nature as explained with the principles of the Normal Distribution where there are extremes with the distribution of variables of human nature, e.g. height, skin color, sexuality, gender, hair color, eye color, etc.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... l_Rule.PNG

For example the distribution of height within all humans on earth, there will be the average of say 5 feet 7 inches where 66% will range from 5 feet to 6'2" feet. 1% will be under 3.5 feet and 1% above 7'2" feet.

It is the same with sexuality where it is likely homosexuality could be like 10% [thereabout] of all population.
As such homosexuality must be accepted as natural occurrence and morally no one should view homosexuality negatively.

But tribalism - the us versus them instinct is also very primal and normal.
Thus those at the extreme end [may be majority] or those who are strongly driven by tribalism will view homosexuality [a sensitive element*] negatively.
This natural adverse view is strongly reflected in the major religions, i.e. the Abrahamic religions which are represented by 80% of theists.

There is no way, human can resolve the issue of the deeply ingrained tribalism and existential crisis which is negative towards homosexuality easily at present. Best of luck to your activism but I expect any progress to be very slow.
As such it would be better for you to develop equanimity* against the natural and inevitable negativity of homophobia at present.
Buddhist philosophy is very effective at this process or perhaps just blindly cling to Christianity's "Love your enemies" no matter what.

Thus to resolve the antagonistic view of homosexuality from the majority of people efficiently and expeditiously we need to trace to trace to the root causes, which is tribalism and the sensitivity to homosexuality which is triggered by the existential crisis.

In the future there is hope, there will be a need to look the neural algorithm in the brain re the adverse views of those who are homophobic and to ensure their {cannot get rid of} inherent and unavoidable tribalism and existential crisis in this direction is well managed and modulated from birth, i.e. dealt at root level rather than firefighting the symptoms.

Thus your apprehension and condemnation of my direction toward the algorithm of the brain [mind] is merely limiting your progress to the resolution of natural homophobia and providing no hope of greater progress for your cause in the future.
tapaticmadness

Post by tapaticmadness »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:12 am

Thus to resolve the antagonistic view of homosexuality from the majority of people efficiently and expeditiously we need to trace to trace to the root causes, which is tribalism and the sensitivity to homosexuality which is triggered by the existential crisis.

You have a greater fear of dividing people into different groups than I do. I don't think tribalism is the problem. I rather like being different and contending with the others. As for the existential crisis, I'm not sure what you mean by that.
Veritas Aequitas

tapaticmadness wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:44 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:12 am

You have a greater fear of dividing people into different groups than I do. I don't think tribalism is the problem. I rather like being different and contending with the others. As for the existential crisis, I'm not sure what you mean by that.
Yes, you don't think so, and you are not sure because you lack the essential knowledge and the philosophical tools to dig into the deeper root cause of the problem.

You may like this or that, but there are 7+ billion humans who will not be like what you rather like.

You missed my point.
Diversity is very natural, thus I have to go along with what is natural.
In addition specialization is a critical feature of efficiency thus necessary for the progress of humanity.

Tribalism is not about dividing people into groups.
Tribalism via evolution eons ago was critical for tribes to stick together and be wary of threats from other tribes.
This survival trait had been encoded in the DNA/RNA and embedded deep in the brain of all humans.

As humans evolve further there was more co-operation and interaction between tribes and this get-together grew larger and larger as seen at present.
But the tribalism instinct [birds of feather] that is inherent in the brain of all human is still very active in the majority of people and this is so evident.
You cannot dispute this.

This is where there are Democrats versus Republicans where some members are very antagonistic, aggressive and anti-the-other. This is also common in sports, politics, social, gender, sexuality, etc.

If you are ignorant of this 'tribalism' instinct that is encoded in the DNA and embedded deep in the brain of all humans as the root causes, you are merely fire-fighting the symptoms.

The existential crisis emerge from the following facts;
  • 1. All humans are "programmed" to fear [unconsciously] thus to avoid death.

2. Upon any awareness of the threat of death [especially premature not natural] terrible fears and pains will be triggered to ensure the person avoid the threat.

3. But all humans has evolved with self-awareness thus is aware of inevitable mortality all the time UNCONSCIOUSLY. Note 'unconsciously' not consciously.

4. The premises 2 and 3 generate an unresolvable existential dilemma. Within the unconscious awareness, unconscious terrible fears and pains are triggered which result in an existential crisis within the unconscious.

5. This existential crisis leaks and manifests in the conscious as Angst, anxieties, despairs, hopelessness, meaningless, depression, various mental pains, etc.

6. To resolve the existential crisis, the majority turn to theism and religions to soothe the existential pains.
tapaticmadness

Post by tapaticmadness »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:18 am
Yes, you don't think so, and you are not sure because you lack the essential knowledge and the philosophical tools to dig into the deeper root cause of the problem.

To resolve the existential crisis, the majority turn to theism and religions to soothe the existential pains.[/list]
Never argue with anyone who thinks the theory of evolution explains everything.