The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Post by Walker »

SNM: Karma, or destiny, is an expression of a beneficial law: the universal trend towards balance, harmony and unity. At every moment, whatever happens now, is for the best. It may appear painful and ugly, a suffering bitter and meaningless, yet considering the past and the future it is for the best, as the only way out of a disastrous situation.

Question: How can you say that all is well? Look at the wars, the exploitation, the cruel strife between the citizen and the state.

SNM: All these sufferings are man-made and it is within man’s power to put an end to them. God helps by facing man with the results of his actions and demanding that the balance should be restored. Karma is the law that works for righteousness; it is the healing hand of God.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:21 pm

Commentary on his observation:

This is similar to seated meditation practice that encompasses pratyahara, in which an impression is made upon consciousness, either with thought or through the senses, and then that impression is released automatically and immediately, with only the prompting of practice that begins the stilling and after that, intention and will also fall away.

Eventually “consciousness of,” thoughts and sensory impression, stills. Thoughts end and only awareness remains. The benefit of the practice? Knowing thyself as AM without I, is knowing how thy body functions without the interference of choice, via both experience and the awareness of non-dual non-experience.
It does not require meditation - in fact, some types of meditation – the ones that try to 'empty the mind' might just get in the way.
Silence and spaciousness go together. The immensity of silence is the immensity of mind in which a centre does not exist.

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
NM: Where there is no mind, there is no back to it. I am all front, no back. The void speaks; the void remains.
Q: Is there no memory left?
NM: No memory of past pleasure or pain left. Each moment is newly born.

________

When awareness knows sensation, consciousness is born ever new, in every new moment. Consciousness is this immediate KNOWING - it is the only knowing there is.
There is no such thing as nondual awareness prior to consciousness, because nondual awareness is not a thing. Only things are known. So there is no thing known as awareness without there being some thing to be aware of = (Duality)
And duality is this immediate knowing, the only knowing there is. In other words, the dream is all there is KNOWN.
Consciousness is a cognitive and dualistic process of awareness knowing sensation giving rise to the conscious recognition/feeling of beingness as and through the conscious experience.

There is no prior or preceding default natural pure state called awareness, that's just an artificially constructed illusory dualistic mental notion.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:54 am
It does not require meditation
That's just your conjecture.

Pratyahara is a part of a meditation practice that disconnects consciousness from sensory stimuli, including thoughts. It happens spontaneously within the meditation practice. One cannot function dualistically in this state. One cannot walk, talk, eat, chew gum, or do anything else. One literally is doing nothing. This is not conjecture. There is no dualistic thought to distinguish one, as one.

The cessation of thought is the purpose of meditation.

The purpose is not to have a particular type of thinking, such as piety.
Last edited by Walker on Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Question: What gives the present that ‘stamp of reality’?

SNM: There is nothing peculiar in the present event to make it different from the past and future. For a moment the past was actual and the future will become so. What makes the present so different? Obviously, my presence. I am real for I am always now, in the present, and what is with me now shares in my reality. The past is in memory, the future — in imagination. There is nothing in the present event itself that makes it stand out as real. It may be some simple, periodical occurrence, like the striking of the clock. In spite of our knowing that the successive strokes are identical, the present stroke is quite different from the previous one and the next — as remembered, or expected. A thing focused in the now is with me, for I am ever present; it is my own reality that I impart to the present event.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:11 am
Dontaskme wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:54 am
It does not require meditation
That's just your conjecture.

Pratyahara is a part of a meditation practice that disconnects consciousness from sensory stimuli, including thoughts. It happens spontaneously within the meditation practice. One cannot function dualistically in this state. One cannot walk, talk, eat, chew gum, or do anything else. One literally is doing nothing. This is not conjecture. There is no dualistic thought to distinguish one, as one.

The purpose is not to have a particular type of thinking, such as piety.

Continuing on then...What appears to meditate, never meditated. What appears to transcend, never transcended. Appearances are the actions and doing of no one. The 'you' does not do and therefore, does not exist, except as a known concept, and that which appears to be known, knows nothing, as knowing is one unitary process. One with the knowing, the only knowing there is, this single knowingness/beingness.

There is an aliveness, but this aliveness is not happening to a thing. There's simply just what's happening, and there is absolutely no thing making happening happen, and no thing able to stop happening from happening. In other words, there is no thing happening, only no thing, not a thing, nothing happening. Just as there is nothing happening in a nightly dream, the apparent waking state is also compared to a dream, and the dream is all there is.

Awareness is neither dead nor alive, as that which lives never dies, and that which dies never lives. These two concepts 'not live' and 'live' or to be or not to be are dualistic notions within a mind that is purely myth and fantasy in this CONception....which is the dream of artificial illusory separation, appearing real.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Does what you wrote in some way relate to the thoughts of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj? Is so, how? If not, why not?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Oooh, wow, this practice is simply not required to be able to understand that any one of us can be aware of our own thought stream and at the same time be aware of the silent blank space between each thought, realising that our thoughts do come and go in this empty blank space known as awareness that is the container of all our thoughts.

Thoughts are contained within no thing, because it is only things that know no thing...in this CONception, and there's no force on earth that has the power to cessate a thought, if a thought does indeed arise as and when it arises on the screen of empty blank awareness.

Seriously, no need to flog this dead horse, it's old news, repackaged as newsworthy to the young and newcomers on the path to enlightenment,that's all.

We're all just babbling baboons, acting more like parrots and barking dogs, echoing the same record over and over again for all eternity, woof woof.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:40 am Does what you wrote in some way relate to the thoughts of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj? Is so, how? If not, why not?
No one wrote it, no one posted it, no one questions reality...there is no Nisargadatta Maharaj.

All there is are images of the imageless, appearing as a duality of subject and object, observer and observed, in what is fundamentally this nondual reality, in other words, there is no reality, except in this CONception, this illusory dream of separation, where there is none, as concepts know nothing, and nothing knows concepts.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:02 am
Walker wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:40 am Does what you wrote in some way relate to the thoughts of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj? Is so, how? If not, why not?
No one wrote it, no one posted it, no one questions reality...there is no Nisargadatta Maharaj.

All there is are images of the imageless, appearing as a duality of subject and object, observer and observed, in what is fundamentally this nondual reality, in other words, there is no reality, except in this CONception, this illusory dream of separation, where there is none, as concepts know nothing, and nothing knows concepts.
- Obviously, with your unreasoned assertions and playing with words, you misunderstand non-dualism.
- It’s probably because you are tossing around a lot of ambiguous terms.

- Non-dualism says that only the permanent is real, and the transitory is illusion.
- Non-dualism says that the permanent is always present and the transitory comes and goes, like thoughts.

- I could support this with the words of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj, but at this point even a dummy like me can realize that with you, what's the point of that? You don't care what he says.

- For you, this thread is all about the thoughts of the self-described, non-existent, unknowing and unthinking, non-self, know-nothing DAM.

- From this, on the dualistic level of concept, which is what defines existence here, we can say that the transitory is not always present, but when it is present, it is real, although in the big picture of non-duality it is not permanent and therefore, not real.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:55 am

Oooh, wow, this practice is simply not required to be able to understand that any one of us can be aware of our own thought stream and at the same time be aware of the silent blank space between each thought, realising that our thoughts do come and go in this empty blank space known as awareness that is the container of all our thoughts.
You obviously do not know about cessation of thought, and yet you're so full of noise. The few cliches you've learned won't get you far with those who know.

Your bowl, she's-a-full, and the qualities required for both analysis and learning, they'z a-not-there.

Your self-described dog capacity, and your parroting imitations that you project onto others, although desperately seeking validation with the company of we, is in fact your solitary path. Humans think and reason.

I'm only telling you this out of human decency, as cause for disengagement with you on this topic, because you're too full of what you don't know and really don't care to understand the words of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj, as I think you'll be the first to admit.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:30 pm You obviously do not know about cessation of thought, and yet you're so full of noise.
Ok, if you say so, then so be it. That's frankly none of my business.
Walker wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:30 pmThe few cliches you've learned won't get you far with those who know.
Ok, if you say so, then so be it, what you think you know, is frankly none of my business Richard. What is my business, is what I think, and that's all that matters to me personally.
Walker wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:30 pmYour bowl, she's-a-full, and the qualities required for both analysis and learning, they'z a-not-there.

Your self-described dog capacity, and your parroting imitations that you project onto others, although desperately seeking validation with the company of we, is in fact your solitary path. Humans think and reason.

I'm only telling you this out of human decency, as cause for disengagement with you on this topic, because you're too full of what you don't know and really don't care to understand the words of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj, as I think you'll be the first to admit.
If you say so, then so be it, that's none of my business what you say, or what you think. I'm only sharing what I think, and do not care whether my thoughts invoke a newsworthy response or a reaction, or not, from anyone reading.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:15 pm
your opinion is incorrect.

That's all.

You should learn from this experience, rather than behave like a child who doesn't deserve serious answers.

Bad girl. Bad.

You're dismissed.
What you think of this girl here, is none of my business.
I'm sorry to hear you feel so shitty and bad, and dismissive.
But that outcry of emotion has got nothing to do with what this girl here knows and understands about the topic subject that is nonduality.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:43 amblah blah meh!!
Pointing to the non-conceptual base reality is the prime principle of the nondual message.

Do feel free to continue on, but know that no one ever speaks, writes, hears or sees your words...or mine. They are but appearances of the void.

The nondual message is clear, it cannot be spoken of, only pointed to using concepts, which in and of themselves are empty of any principle or substance. They are simply the sound of silence. The images of the imageless. The unknown knowing.

Everyone sees and hears only what they want to see and hear, via what appears to be in the dualistic context.
But few rarely see or hear what is actually here.

I am not here to live up to yours or anyone else's expectations. I am here solely to live before an audience of one.
Walker

Post by Walker »

DAM wrote: ...
Don't sweat it. Truly.

:)
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:39 am
DAM wrote: ...
Don't sweat it. Truly.

:)
I am not here to live up to yours or anyone else's expectations.

Truly. 🥱