another pointless thread...existential grousing

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: another pointless thread...existential grousing

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Arising_uk wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Yes. From me. You might like to look in the mirror some time too. ...
:lol: Oh! The irony.
Annihilating someone in a debate is hardly the same as telling someone over and over to kill herself, that she's ugly, usless etc. etc.....And they KNEW who she was, so it was deeply personal. I'm sure you couldn't give a rat's arse if I call you an idiot. Dammit. School teachers have so much power. It's enough to make you weep with frustration. ...
Become one then and change things.
You are clueless enough to be a school teacher. I thought you said you are a school teacher at some point. You make it sound as if you know everything that goes on in the playground. ...
I just tell you what my kids told me and what my students used to report.
I thought you had finally discovered what jargon is. ...
I always knew. you use it as something else.
That's the way it is with you. Get your hopes up that there is brain there, only to have them dashed in the very next comment. It's a rollercoaster ride. Oh, and I'm sorry if that makes you want to kill yourself. Please do NOT do that!
And before you make a comment about 'free speech', inciting someone to commit suicide and making their life a misery with harassment hasn't been legal for a very long time.
She's needs to get a life and stop posting on and reading twatter. Funny how you're so PC about some things.
How typical of the PC. So shallow and disingenuous. She had to stop because it's a bit difficult not to when you are dead. Always been empathetic have you? Actually this typifies the PC. They only 'care' about whatever trend is flavour of the month with them. There is no real depth or level of understanding. And you were the one calling me a troll. I didn't call you one, so it's a bit ridiculous to then tell me to look in the mirror after I have told you to. The difference here is that I know what a troll is, and surprise surprise you don't.
Of course, I don't expect you to understand a word I have written. Our minds are wired differently. It's like arguing over religion.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:How typical of the PC. So shallow and disingenuous. She had to stop because it's a bit difficult not to when you are dead. Always been empathetic have you? Actually this typifies the PC. They only 'care' about whatever trend is flavour of the month with them. There is no real depth or level of understanding.
:lol: Are you mad? I'm not PC but I appreciate the intentions behind it and certainly don't empathise with people who can't not read twatter responses. From the looks of it she killed herself due to a variety of factors with twatter maybe being the last straw but she clearly had more major issues. I have sympathy for those she left behind and anyone who is depressed enough to want to kill themselves but find failed suicides pitiful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOP5Ko2nz20
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Arising_uk wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:How typical of the PC. So shallow and disingenuous. She had to stop because it's a bit difficult not to when you are dead. Always been empathetic have you? Actually this typifies the PC. They only 'care' about whatever trend is flavour of the month with them. There is no real depth or level of understanding.
:lol: Are you mad? I'm not PC but I appreciate the intentions behind it and certainly don't empathise with people who can't not read twatter responses. From the looks of it she killed herself due to a variety of factors with twatter maybe being the last straw but she clearly had more major issues. I have sympathy for those she left behind and anyone who is depressed enough to want to kill themselves but find failed suicides pitiful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOP5Ko2nz20
:lol: No one ever admits that they themselves are PC. It's similar to how kristian nutters always claim to be 'not religious'. And you clearly have no empathy, being the tough old boiling fowl that you are. You can't help that of course.
Unless someone wants to go and live under a rock as a hermit for the rest of their life there is going to be a substantial level of awareness of social media. How can you expect a child at school not to know what's going on? Young people now depend on social media for their social existence. I don't even know how to use Twitter, but somehow I still know what's going on in the world, and even on Twitter to an extent. I avoided reading the paper for a while or watching TV news, but still managed to be more aware of what was going on in the world than the average person. :?
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Sun May 14, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

It's not my way to splay my life open in this (or any other) place.

I find doing so unseemly, unneccessary.

Even so, in a low moment, I cracked open the door (regretting it after the fact), clearing the path for all manner of jackassery at my expense.

I'm grateful my small admissions in the opening post didn't result in mockery. I'm also grateful for all the well-intended advice, though much of it is waaaay off the mark.

Anyway, there's no time today for me to address specifcs, make corrections, or give the finger to that one or two who deserve it (and you know who you are), so I'll leave all that for tomorrow.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

henry quirk wrote:...a kid, like mine, with difficulty focusing and controlling impulses.
Kinesthetic learner? Oppositional-Defiancy Disorder? A.D.D.? Asperger Syndrome? Autism? Academic giftedness? Is there anything that has been offered by anyone as far as formal diagnosis goes, whether you tend to believe it or not, Henry?

What's your lad struggling with? What's his level of challenge?

Maybe I can be somewhat helpful, if you feel free to say.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Immanuel Can wrote: Maybe I can be somewhat helpful, if you feel free to say.
For that I think you will need to be patient, Henry has stated that he will give more details tomorrow.

Henry, I hope I didn't offend by offering information in an attempt to clear up some details, information that you had posted on open forums. If that was to be confidential, I apologize.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

thedoc wrote: Henry, I hope I didn't offend by offering information in an attempt to clear up some details,
Translation: I think I might have put my foot in it, Henry, Sorry.
information that you had posted on open forums.
Translation: But, to be fair, it's more your fault than mine.
If that was to be confidential, I apologize.
Translation: How was I supposed to know it was a secret?
Vendetta

Re:

Post by Vendetta »

henry quirk wrote:It's not my way to splay my life open in this (or any other) place.

Even so, in a low moment, I cracked open the door (regretting it after the fact), clearing the path for all manner of jackassery at my expense.

I'm grateful my small admissions in the opening post didn't result in mockery. I'm also grateful for all the well-intended advice, though much of it is waaaay off the mark.

Anyway, there's no time today for me to address specifcs, make corrections, or give the finger to that one or two who deserve it (and you know who you are), so I'll leave all that for tomorrow.
I find it incredibly saddening that one such as you who just seeks opinions on a question/point of view is grateful that those here didn't rush to make fun of you. What does that say about the nature of people under anonymity?
I certainly hope that your boy will find some relief.
Harbal

Re: Re:

Post by Harbal »

Vendetta wrote:
I find it incredibly saddening that one such as you who just seeks opinions on a question/point of view is grateful that those here didn't rush to make fun of you. What does that say about the nature of people under anonymity?
On at least this occasion, it seems to say they don't tend to make fun of other people's misfortunes.
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Harbal wrote:
Vendetta wrote:
On at least this occasion, it seems to say they don't tend to make fun of other people's misfortunes.
For one to be relieved to see that something doesn't happen, they require an incredibly strong belief that it will. In this context that belief can only come from observation or personal experience, meaning that the lack of negativity is a rarity in the eyes of henry quirk.
While this occasion differs in result, its his fear itself that speaks wonders about the way people typically act.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Vendetta wrote: For one to be relieved to see that something doesn't happen, they require an incredibly strong belief that it will. In this context that belief can only come from observation or personal experience, meaning that the lack of negativity is a rarity in the eyes of henry quirk.
While this occasion differs in result, its his fear itself that speaks wonders about the way people typically act.
So you think what someone fears people might do is a better indicator of their behaviour than what people actually do do?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Vendetta wrote:
Harbal wrote:
Vendetta wrote:
For one to be relieved to see that something doesn't happen, they require an incredibly strong belief that it will. In this context that belief can only come from observation or personal experience, meaning that the lack of negativity is a rarity in the eyes of henry quirk.

You're right. He's wrong. Thank you for the gracious and appropriate reminder that we need to recall the humanity of those to whom we write, even on a forum like this.

Some people are here to be kind. Some are here to do philosophy. Some are not here for either purpose. And really, sometimes it's really best to ignore certain contributors; nothing they say will likely add value to your world.

You're right to point out that anonymity is a contributing factor to unkindness. But it doesn't make people do what's not already in them to do; it just gives them an open licence to do it. So if there's meanness...or the reasonable expectation of it...it isn't the anonymity that's really to blame, is it?
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Harbal wrote:
Vendetta wrote: For one to be relieved to see that something doesn't happen, they require an incredibly strong belief that it will. In this context that belief can only come from observation or personal experience, meaning that the lack of negativity is a rarity in the eyes of henry quirk.
So you think what someone fears people might do is a better indicator of their behaviour than what people actually do do?
Not their behaviour, the behaviour of others. What I am saying is that people do not have a fear of someone doing something if they do not have evidence that the person does the thing that they are afraid of. The fact that Henry is afraid of groups of people ostracizing him for his statement means that there are in fact people that do such, and enough people who do to warrant a fear. I find that saddening.
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Immanuel Can wrote:
Vendetta wrote:
Harbal wrote: On at least this occasion, it seems to say they don't tend to make fun of other people's misfortunes.

You're right. He's wrong. Thank you for the gracious and appropriate reminder that we need to recall the humanity of those to whom we write, even on a forum like this.

Some people are here to be kind. Some are here to do philosophy. Some are not here for either purpose. And really, sometimes it's really best to ignore certain contributors; nothing they say will likely add value to your world.

You're right to point out that anonymity is a contributing factor to unkindness. But it doesn't make people do what's not already in them to do; it just gives them an open licence to do it. So if there's meanness...or the reasonable expectation of it...it isn't the anonymity that's really to blame, is it?
Yes, that is true. Assigning all blame to anonymity kind of allows them to get away with it in a certain sense. As you graciously demonstrated above, there additionally exist people who choose to respond positively to comment while under the guise of anonymity. I suppose in reality, there are just some unhappy people out there with a lot of time on their hands, who feel the need to spread their negativity to others.
marjoram_blues

Re:

Post by marjoram_blues »

henry quirk wrote:It's not my way to splay my life open in this (or any other) place.

henry - if you are feeling less than your usual strong, independent self and regret the information you imparted, then you can leave it be. No more explanations are necessary. And perhaps this isn't the best place to open up.
I think you know that already.
Do whatever you think best.
I think people often regret showing any perceived sign of weakness. And sometimes then avoid the person/people they have opened up to.
I don't think it is weak but strong. Others can learn from the various responses - whether or not they fit your particular situation.
There is a value in all of this. Thanks again. And best wishes.