If God is omnipotent, can he destroy himself?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

surreptitious57

Re: If God is omnipotent, can he destroy himself?

Post by surreptitious57 »

Jesus was not a God and neither was he resurrected from the dead. Eye witness evidence is the least reliable type of evidence there is. Especially when those seeing are engaging in confirmation bias. The scientific method is by contrast the most accurate means of determining evidence there is. It is a scientific fact that no human being can reverse the effects of permanent brain death. And so if Jesus was crucified then once he died he stayed dead. He was not resurrected and nor will there be a second coming after the so called apocalypse as per the Book Of Revelation. Jesus is as dead as every other human being who has died before or since and will ever die too. Now you are perfectly entitled to think otherwise but this however does not make it true. That is not how reality works. And so what you want to be true and what actually is true are not always the same
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Vendetta wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 2:01 am If he is truly omnipotent then he must be able to, but if he is capable of being destroyed, is he truly God?
You've got to be kidding me? The musings of an idle mind! :lol:
surreptitious57

Immanuel Can wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
There is zero evidence for God he is not part of observable reality
you have no way to say what anyone else knows or what they have seen in reality
Give me just one example of any human being who has ever been able to objectively demonstrate the existence of God. Your failure to
do so would not automatically disprove said existence but it would show there is no logical reason for it though. And I am very sceptical
of any truth claim that has precisely zero evidence to support it. Since without evidence I do not know whether or not it is actually true
surreptitious57

Justintruth wrote:
natural science makes no statements about the supernatural by definition
That is true. However the supernatural cannot be demonstrated and so any claim with regard
to its existence must be treated with scepticism. Just like any truth claim with zero evidence
SpheresOfBalance

Dontaskme wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 8:18 am
Dontaskme wrote:
Whatever exists is experienced as the sublime awareness which is ones very nature. All things are identical with ones own innermost awareness. Everything that exists is of the same nature of non-dual knowingness which is the great potential, the space of potential. Ultimate Reality is Immanence...aka Tacit...otherwise known as God.
When Jesus Christ walked the earth back in the day...he too taught to anyone willing to listen the Non-dual nature of reality. And is why Jesus was the only true living God...all other God's pale into insignificance compared to Jesus. The truth is, there can only be one truth, and Jesus told the truth and died for that truth... and it is up to each one of us to decipher the truth for ourselves.
And you "know" this because you were actually there, or you just "believe" it because you read it in a book that some largely ignorant men wrote, not women, men?

The life of Jesus was an exemplary lesson for all of us... his life is well documented recorded in the gospels of M.M.L.&J. ...even though the life of this man was written 30 or so years after he left the earthly plane for good. Paul is said to have wrote very accurate historical documents containing 100% true & precise evidence through Ist hand eyewitness accounts that Jesus did exist and that he was killed on the cross and was indeed resurrected ..some reporters at the time were willing to die for what they had witnessed, for they had come to know the truth first hand and were not afraid to lose their life, for they trusted what they saw with their own eyes.....some witnesses were still alive at the time Paul wrote his testimony for the resurrection ..therefore, the claim could never have be refuted.

If no one believes this, but wants to believe it then research it for yourself, but you will have to do some deep digging, truth does not want to be heard...but the gospels are the most reliable authentic historical documents ever recorded in living history......and just like any PHd student ..one has to do their research first before becoming a master of their knowledge.All Knowledge regarding history is found in a history book....The Bible was the ultimate His-Story book....see for yourself, the proof is in the pudding.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

surreptitious57 wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 1:39 pm
Justintruth wrote:
That is true. However the supernatural cannot be demonstrated and so any claim with regard
to its existence must be treated with scepticism. Just like any truth claim with zero evidence
That the human being has the capacity for scepticism,reasoning and critical and conscientious rational thinking ...doesn't that point to an absolute moral rational creator mind that created the human mind in it's image?

Or, if not, then where has the conscientious rational thinking human mind come from?

Did the capacity to think just happen to pop up out of nothingness by pure accident..and if it did, would or could you trust a mind like that...where everything believed about reality is all relative to the human mind that just happened to pop into existence by pure chance from zero nothingness?

If there is no absolute moral law, then what ever one believes goes...and no one can dispute or reject that belief since it's relatively their belief and no one else's business...is that the only standard and value of life for a living human being to live by?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

[/quote]
SpheresOfBalance wrote: And you "know" this because you were actually there, or you just "believe" it because you read it in a book that some largely ignorant men wrote, not women, men?
When someone is prepared to live up to their word of truth by actually physically dying for that truth, then I will follow and trust that person. Jesus was
that person...Jesus is my king and I am his princess...and I'm having a great life because I believe and follow him only...because only a reliable person can show you heaven.

Do you believe in love..or do you just know what love is.?

Knowing God is like knowing love, it's childsplay. . .the way a child trusts in his / her parents to nurture it's every need and desire.
surreptitious57

Dontaskme wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Justintruth wrote:
That the human being has the capacity for scepticism and reasoning and critical and conscientious rational
thinking ... doesnt that point to an absolute moral rational creator mind that created the human mind in its image

Or if not then where has the conscientious rational thinking human mind come from

Did the capacity to think just happen to pop up out of nothingness by pure accident ... and if it did would or could you trust a mind
like that ... where everything believed about reality is all relative to the human mind that just happened to pop into existence by
pure chance from zero nothingness

If there is no absolute moral law then what ever one believes goes ... and no one can dispute or reject that belief since its
relatively their belief and no one elses business ... is that the only standard and value of life for a living human being to live by
The capacity for scepticism and reasoning and thinking is not at all evidence of an absolute moral creator as that is not required

The mind is a function of the brain. The brain is part of a biological organism. All biological organisms are descended from single cell non
self replicating bacteria which was the very first life form. So it did not pop into existence by pure chance. And nor it did not come from
nothing. Not uness you want to go back to the very beginning of all that came to exist. Assuming that there was an actual beginning. And
also assuming it was quantum fluctuations that started it all. Then it would truly have come from nothing. But this is not currently known

There is no such thing as absolute or objective morality. Morality by definition can only be subjective or inter subjective and nothing else
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

surreptitious57 wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 1:19 pm
Immanuel Can wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
There is zero evidence for God he is not part of observable reality
you have no way to say what anyone else knows or what they have seen in reality
Give me just one example of any human being who has ever been able to objectively demonstrate the existence of God.
Easy. Anybody who has genuinely known, met, communicated or had a relationship with God. If even one of those cases turns out to be genuine, your objection is defeated.

You know that many such claims have been made. And I assume you view yourself as rational. Yet you claim there is no evidence, no way to know God. Even you must concede that IF one such happened, your whole argument would be disproved.

Therefore, you must know that none of them happened. So what I want to know is on what rational basis you would reject them. For that is what you would have to do in order to say, "I know what everybody can and cannot know about God."

How would you be able to verify if Moses actually did meet God on Sinai, or sent His Son to make God known to us? How would you disprove it? I'm not insisting you couldn't if you had the right method; and I'm certainly not that you accept those accounts just because you cannot disprove them. I'm open to seeing what test you would use.

But you say you know. I want to know HOW you got that knowledge.

As hard as that is, it's much harder for you to know what I know. That's impossible. But it might be possible for you to know and verify...however, that would take an act of faith on your part...at least enough faith to ask God to reveal his realness to you, which He could to if He so desired, obviously.

But to stand at a distance and say, "I just don't believe" is arbitrary. You can do it, but surely you can see that it doesn't imply you know either way.
surreptitious57

I used the term objectively demonstrate which means that anyone who had experienced God would be able to provide actual evidence
for it. That is how I would know. Claims mean nothing less they can be shown to be true. Even if they actually are true. So is there any
evidence for God that fits this specific criteria. You cannot provide any then I have zero reason to accept he exists. So have another go
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

surreptitious57 wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 3:54 pm
The capacity for scepticism and reasoning and thinking is not at all evidence of an absolute moral creator as that is not required

The mind is a function of the brain. The brain is part of a biological organism. All biological organisms are descended from single cell non
self replicating bacteria which was the very first life form. So it did not pop into existence by pure chance. And nor it did not come from
nothing. Not uness you want to go back to the very beginning of all that came to exist. Assuming that there was an actual beginning. And
also assuming it was quantum fluctuations that started it all. Then it would truly have come from nothing. But this is not currently known

There is no such thing as absolute or objective morality. Morality by definition can only be subjective or inter subjective and nothing else
There's lots of biological brains in all sorts of form..so why does human brain specifically have a moral ration mind / brain and not in a cat or a dog?

Is it by sheer chance that the process of thinking rationally just happened to the human brain...is a human any different to any other creature that has evolved from the same single cell non self replicating bacteria ..what ever that is?

Is it not a bit far fetched to say the human mind is a function of the brain ..wouldn't that be like saying the the pictures on your TV or music in your radio are nothing more than the function of the actual TV set, or radio? Hmm.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

surreptitious57 wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 4:20 pm I used the term objectively demonstrate which means that anyone who had experienced God would be able to provide actual evidence
for it.
Good. Let's start there.

a) if a person has a genuine experience with God, and if God deliberately deals with individuals, how is that individual to transfer his/her experience to you, so as to "objectively demonstrate"?

b) if a person can instruct God to provide an objective demonstration on command, is God the Supreme Being, or is the person commanding Him the Supreme Being?

If those are problems, then what would you reasonably expect for a person to do in order to show you that God exists? In other words, what would you accept as "real evidence" in such a situation?

The question's not rhetorical, but sincere -- I want to know, so that if there's a way, I can tell you about it or perform it for you.

But if there's no way for me to do it for you, then you can't reasonably be surprised if I don't. And yet, there may still be a way for you to know...

More on that after I give you a chance to respond.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

surreptitious57 wrote:

self replicating bacteria which was the very first life form.
If the human rational thinking mind is descended from single cell non self replicating bacteria then surely there must have been a mind behind the single cell non self replicating bacteria evolving that single cell non self replicating bacteria into the eventual form of a human brain with the capacity to think rationally and morally. Something knew how to make a human brain from a single cell non self replicating bacteria?

How in your opinion do you think a human brain is possible without a mind behind it? One that built it from a single cell non self replicating bacteria.

That the mind cannot be seen does not make it not exist. It's a supernatural phenomena. Anything that can build a human being from scratch is worthy of my attention and gratitude.
SpheresOfBalance

Dontaskme wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 3:00 pm
SpheresOfBalance wrote: And you "know" this because you were actually there, or you just "believe" it because you read it in a book that some largely ignorant men wrote, not women, men?
When someone is prepared to live up to their word of truth by actually physically dying for that truth, then I will follow and trust that person. Jesus was
that person...Jesus is my king and I am his princess...and I'm having a great life because I believe and follow him only...because only a reliable person can show you heaven.

Do you believe in love..or do you just know what love is.?

Knowing God is like knowing love, it's childsplay. . .the way a child trusts in his / her parents to nurture it's every need and desire.
Women were largely property back then! If I were you I'd be outraged. I'm a male and I am. It just goes to show the archaic/antiquated mentality of that day. So what can one really expect from those people? Isn't it hard to project back into time so as to know and understand those that lived then. I believe that many would be quite surprised, with hollywood currently as their only guide. Such a joke!
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Dontaskme wrote: That the mind cannot be seen does not make it not exist. It's a supernatural phenomena. Anything that can build a human being from scratch is worthy of my attention and gratitude

Exactly. And this same principle can be applied to the Supreme. There are many instances of things​ in our world that we are not able to see or grasp, per se, such as the mind, consciousness, or even things such as sound. Yet we do experience them, so therefore we know and believe them to exist.
Now, if you were to take an individual who has no concept for the experience such as sound (lets say they're deaf, perhaps), how can your possibly convince them for certain that the idea of hearing exists?