Good Friday

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: Good Friday

Post by thedoc »

Skip wrote: Of course, plausibility was never the bible's strongest suit.
Just like Divine intervention is never a possibility for those in denial.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

thedoc wrote:
Skip wrote: Of course, plausibility was never the bible's strongest suit.
Just like Divine intervention is never a possibility for those in denial.
So now you theists know the mind of god as well! One would think it's precisely those most in denial who are most in need and amenable to divine intervention! What does the story of Saul/Paul convey to your brilliant theistic mind? The sheer hubris of what "you claim to know" being in tune with god's motives :!:

Your statement is further proof of all the demeaning and disgusting ways you attempt to raise yourselves above others. If your god is equal to what you write may you all live in the same septic tank.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Dubious wrote: So now you theists know the mind of god as well!
Who else could know it? It's their god (each god, each set of true believers), their story, their sandbox.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Skip wrote:
Who else could know it? It's their god (each god, each set of true believers), their story, their sandbox.
Good point! Their limitations also being "their" god's limitations. No matter what we do or how we think we ALWAYS reflect OUR limitations. We expect time, if permitted, to slowly erode SOME of those limitations.
Skip

Post by Skip »

I'll drink to that!
Actually, we didn't watch JCS this afternoon; we opted for Monty Python and the Holy Grail .
When your brain has many growing lacunae in it, old familiar gags are comforting - if only because you remember them...
...unlike today's date or where you parked the car.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

There was a good TV programme about the march from Selma to Montgomery. There are more Christs than Jesus of Nazareth.
Skip

Post by Skip »

There was a good BBC one about Karl Marx, as well.

Like all Christs, their work is long, hard is painful and its effects can be undone in an hour.
This is the advantage of reactionaries over progressives : it's easier to wreck than to build.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Skip wrote:Who else could know it? It's their god

What do I know to be TRUE for a FACT.
How do I know I know?
Who (or what) is it that knows?

Is there a world outside your knowledge? Can you go beyond what you know? You may postulate a world beyond the mind, but it will remain a concept, unproved and unprovable. Your experience is your proof, and it is valid for you only. Who else can have your experience, when the other person is only as real as he appears in your experience?
Skip

Post by Skip »

Dontaskme wrote:
Skip wrote:Who else could know it? It's their god

What do I know to be TRUE for a FACT.
How do I know I know?
Who (or what) is it that knows?
Besides, if the mind and will of God were unknowable, you'd have to burn people at random, or draw stoning victims by lot, coz you couldn't tell the witches and blasphemers from the righteous.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Skip wrote: Besides, if the mind and will of God were unknowable, you'd have to burn people at random, or draw stoning victims by lot, coz you couldn't tell the witches and blasphemers from the righteous.

Infinitely recursive - Nothing, knows everything. Everything, knows nothing.

It's all pure make-belief.

But what about Pain we say?

Realise that Pain happens, but it's not happening to any one - it's happening to Everything, and not one single identified thing infinitely recursive, so hard to tell what's one thing and what isn't, if one thing is known then all things are known.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote:

Infinitely recursive - Nothing, knows everything. Everything, knows nothing.

It's all pure make-belief.

But what about Pain we say?

Realise that Pain happens, but it's not happening to any one - it's happening to Everything, and not one single identified thing infinitely recursive, so hard to tell what's one thing and what isn't, if one thing is known then all things are known.
You should hook up with Walker. With any luck you would neutralise each other.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Dontaskme wrote: But what about Pain we say?

Wrong!
It's mostly, for days now, in my third left toe - the double-wide one I broke stumbling, barefoot, on a patio stone in the dark.
The patio stone suffered barely a twinge.
Harbal wrote: You should hook up with Walker. With any luck you would neutralise each other.
Or **gasp** reproduce.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Skip wrote: Wrong!
It's mostly, for days now, in my third left toe - the double-wide one I broke stumbling, barefoot, on a patio stone in the dark.
So what's feeling the pain? ...you or the toe?
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Dontaskme wrote:
Skip wrote: Wrong!
So what's feeling the pain? ...you or the toe?
I think it starts with the toe bitterly complaining of injury to the brain which makes the brain very unhappy...and thus pain is felt!
Skip

Post by Skip »

and many choice words ascend to the heavens