The Evil of Terrorism

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hobbes' Choice

The Evil of Terrorism

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Why is the West, especially the USA, so concerned with Islamic terrorism?

Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 20.28.16.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 20.28.16.png (171.2 KiB) Viewed 3050 times
Hobbes' Choice

Re: The Evil of Terrorism

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

What time period is that averaging data for?

I'm just wondering how it can only be two per year when it was almost 3,000 just on one day in 2001, there were just 49 on one day a couple months ago, etc.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Because they are paranoid fucks, and they always have to have something to be paranoid about. Mind you, when you consider what the US has done to their countries, it's quite incredible that muslims aren't blowing up Americans every chance they get.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 22.06.58.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 22.06.58.png (71.68 KiB) Viewed 3040 times

For Terrapin.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Terrapin Station wrote:What time period is that averaging data for?

I'm just wondering how it can only be two per year when it was almost 3,000 just on one day in 2001, there were just 49 on one day a couple months ago, etc.
I don't think the 49 fits into any 'terrorist' killing, but the stats predate that I think.

But the US has more to fear from lawnmowers.
Terrapin Station

Well, part of that is a distinction between whether something is accidental or intentional.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Terrapin Station wrote:Well, part of that is a distinction between whether something is accidental or intentional.
If I get shot by a terrorist I have the same intention as when I fall out of bed and die.

So rather then obsess about the threat of terrorism, i'd be better off placing some cushions around the bed.
Or rather then obsess about the threat of terrorism, take more care allowing toddlers around me having access to guns.
OR rather then obsess about the threat of terrorism, let the grass grow.

It matters not if lightning has no intention to kill does it? Precautions need to be proportionate with risk.

So they spend billions turning the world up-side down attacking Islamic countries (and angering more Jihadis), when the money would be better spent on other more immediate things; like a proper licensing system for possession of dangerous weapons.
Terrapin Station

Hobbes' Choice wrote:If I get shot by a terrorist I have the same intention as when I fall out of bed and die.
Haha, not the victim's intention or absence of intention. Whether there was an intention on someone's part to hurt the victim or whether it was an accident.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Terrapin Station wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:If I get shot by a terrorist I have the same intention as when I fall out of bed and die.
Haha, not the victim's intention or absence of intention. Whether there was an intention on someone's part to hurt the victim or whether it was an accident.
The intention is not relevant, as I can trust you can see here.
Terrapin Station

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:
It's relevant for the people who are more concerned with others who might intend to hurt them than they are with accidents.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Terrapin Station wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:Haha, not the victim's intention or absence of intention. Whether there was an intention on someone's part to hurt the victim or whether it was an accident.
It's relevant for the people who are more concerned with others who might intend to hurt them than they are with accidents.
Why do you think that?
vegetariantaxidermy

By far the greatest number of 'terrorist' attacks in the US are committed by KKKristians.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:By far the greatest number of 'terrorist' attacks in the US are committed by KKKristians.
Do you have any numbers on that?
vegetariantaxidermy

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:By far the greatest number of 'terrorist' attacks in the US are committed by KKKristians.
Do you have any numbers on that?
Very difficult to find a site that isn't biased and agenda-driven, but it's obvious anyway. Just think about all the attacks on abortion clinics. Not that I would defend islam. It's a revolting ideology, but facts are facts. And then of course there is the fact that the entire US military is just a bunch of terrorists (mostly kristian).