It's time for government to get out of bed with religion.

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bobevenson

It's time for government to get out of bed with religion.

Post by bobevenson »

Just to give you one seemingly innocent, but actually dangerous example, I think every speaker at the Republican and Democrat convention ended his stupid speech with "God bless America!" Besides being dangerous, it's as phony as the day is long!
Philosophy Explorer

Re: It's time for government to get out of bed with religion.

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

bobevenson wrote:Just to give you one seemingly innocent, but actually dangerous example, I think every speaker at the Republican and Democrat convention ended his stupid speech with "God bless America!" Besides being dangerous, it's as phony as the day is long!
Is it better to say "May the Devil curse America" traitor?

PhilX
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

I agree! I doubt that most of them even go to church or even think about a god most of the time. I dream of a day when theism will stop being imposed on everyone and everything as much as it is.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

And "In God we trust" should be taken off our coins and currency if for no other reason than God apparently not doing a very good job!
Philosophy Explorer

bobevenson wrote:And "In God we trust" should be taken off our coins and currency if for no other reason than God apparently not doing a very good job!
And you're the living proof that God isn't doing a good job.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

PhilX
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

bobevenson wrote:And "In God we trust" should be taken off our coins and currency if for no other reason than God apparently not doing a very good job!
Yes... off and out of everything that's of public usage by people of varying viewpoints. It's actually outrageous to be claiming what we all are supposed to believe in.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

And in the USA, when a president is sworn into office, he should be putting his hand on the U.S. Constitution, not some version of the Bible!
Philosophy Explorer

bobevenson wrote:And in the USA, when a president is sworn into office, he should be putting his hand on the U.S. Constitution, not some version of the Bible!
Better than groping yourself :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PhilX
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Lacewing wrote:I agree! I doubt that most of them even go to church or even think about a god most of the time. I dream of a day when theism will stop being imposed on everyone and everything as much as it is.
Do what we did then, make one of them the official religion and relegate it to political impotency. Seems to have done the trick over here.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Arising_uk wrote:
Lacewing wrote:I agree! I doubt that most of them even go to church or even think about a god most of the time. I dream of a day when theism will stop being imposed on everyone and everything as much as it is.
Do what we did then, make one of them the official religion and relegate it to political impotency. Seems to have done the trick over here.
Jesus Christ, please stick that Church of England up your godforsaken ass, and I don't mean your stupid donkey!
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

bobevenson wrote:Just to give you one seemingly innocent, but actually dangerous example, I think every speaker at the Republican and Democrat convention ended his stupid speech with "God bless America!" Besides being dangerous, it's as phony as the day is long!
Bob! You've gone and said something I can't find any fault with. What the fuck are you playing at? Think of your reputation. Have you lost the plot?
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

No, I have not lost the plot, in fact I have embellished it. And I'll give you another example of this blind and phony chauvinism. When president Obama was running for office eight years ago, he belittled other candidates for wearing an American flag in their lapel. Today, I sure he wears one on his fucking pajamas!
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

bobevenson wrote:Jesus Christ, please stick that Church of England up your godforsaken ass, ...
Why? As it's effectively removed religion from politics and civil life? What you are asking for apparently.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Harbal wrote:
Bob! You've gone and said something I can't find any fault with. What the fuck are you playing at? Think of your reputation. Have you lost the plot?
:lol: I'm feeling weird too. I agreed completely with his OP and some other posts on this thread.

All this God business kicked into overdrive while the US was fighting Muslims. Stung by Islamic claims that the west were decadent the US has tried to show that they are just as devout and "holy" (and dangerous). Thing is, everyone is influenced by the company they keep, even when only associated by conflict. I see it as a phase that the US needs to grow out of in order to thrive again.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

bobevenson wrote:And in the USA, when a president is sworn into office, he should be putting his hand on the U.S. Constitution, not some version of the Bible!
I agree. You see, Bob... when you say things that aren't all wackadoodle, people are quick to agree... which shows that people aren't just attacking you for anything at all that you say or do... but rather, they're only attacking you when your absurdity is too toxic or insane to bear (which, admittedly, seems to be the case most often).