I'm not at all sure this has been handled properly.

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: I'm not at all sure this has been handled properly.

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Dubious wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:They'll probably have another referendum and overturn it anyway.
...extremely unlikely. Who would call the referendum? Not those who were anti EU and expect to be in power shortly. Not the EU that would accept another referendum by the Brits to now rejoin as acknowledgement of a colossal error (if it turns out that way). That creates a precedence the EU will not accept and if they do it will be at the UK's expense which by that time may no longer exist.

To my mind Frau Merkel shoulders most of the blame for the outcome. Based on the votes being so close, her refugee policy forcing not only Germany but Europe to host millions many of whom have already caused problems and refuse to integrate gave it the final resolution of OUT.

It's debatable if the EU will exist in the future. One thing is not, as Chancellor of the most powerful nation in Europe she has to go otherwise there won't even be a single hope remaining for a united Europe. How she could have extended such an overt invitation to flood the continent is beyond comprehension. Europe has, due to her, gained hordes of refugees but lost the UK.
According to Arising it has nothing to do with refugees flooding the country. He's full of crap on that of course.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Dubious wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:They'll probably have another referendum and overturn it anyway.
...extremely unlikely. Who would call the referendum? Not those who were anti EU and expect to be in power shortly. Not the EU that would accept another referendum by the Brits to now rejoin as acknowledgement of a colossal error (if it turns out that way). That creates a precedence the EU will not accept and if they do it will be at the UK's expense which by that time may no longer exist.

To my mind Frau Merkel shoulders most of the blame for the outcome. Based on the votes being so close, her refugee policy forcing not only Germany but Europe to host millions many of whom have already caused problems and refuse to integrate gave it the final resolution of OUT.

It's debatable if the EU will exist in the future. One thing is not, as Chancellor of the most powerful nation in Europe she has to go otherwise there won't even be a single hope remaining for a united Europe. How she could have extended such an overt invitation to flood the continent is beyond comprehension. Europe has, due to her, gained hordes of refugees but lost the UK.
According to Arising it has nothing to do with refugees flooding the country. He's full of crap on that of course.
In some senses maybe both of you are right. What people are really protesting against, relative economic hardship is not the fault of refugees. OTOH, politicians who wanted to leave the EU probably played up the refugee issue for all it was worth.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Gary Childress wrote:
In some senses maybe both of you are right. What people are really protesting against, relative economic hardship is not the fault of refugees. OTOH, politicians who wanted to leave the EU probably played up the refugee issue for all it was worth.
Immigration, in general, has been of concern to a lot of people for a long time. This has mainly been about the high number of Asian people who have settled here and has nothing to do with the EU. The immigration problem, as far as it relates to the EU, is about the relatively recent phenomenon of the high number of people from Eastern European EU countries coming into the Uk. Their presence here is having a significant impact, particularly on the working class. Not only are they competing for the same jobs, they are also effecting the availability of local services. As long as th UK is part of the EU, our government hasn't got the ability to exert any control over the situation.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Harbal wrote:
Gary Childress wrote:
Immigration, in general, has been of concern to a lot of people for a long time. This has mainly been about the high number of Asian people who have settled here and has nothing to do with the EU. The immigration problem, as far as it relates to the EU, is about the relatively recent phenomenon of the high number of people from Eastern European EU countries coming into the Uk. Their presence here is having a significant impact, particularly on the working class. Not only are they competing for the same jobs, they are also effecting the availability of local services. As long as th UK is part of the EU, our government hasn't got the ability to exert any control over the situation.
We have much the same thing that happens here in the US with migrants from Mexico. They compete with our working class and drive down wages. I take it Eastern Europeans will typically work for less?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Gary Childress wrote:. I take it Eastern Europeans will typically work for less?
Probably. I think they may also be more reliable and harder working, the unscrupulous bastards.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Dalek Prime wrote:Its not the immigrants taking jobs. It's the filthy rich who don't give a damn about the rest, and whether you work, or what you get paid to survive. All that matters to them, is them.
pot:kettle

-Imp
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Impenitent wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Its not the immigrants taking jobs. It's the filthy rich who don't give a damn about the rest, and whether you work, or what you get paid to survive. All that matters to them, is them.

-Imp
:?:
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Impenitent wrote:

-Imp
:?:
the egocentric predicament applies to all, even the workers

-Imp
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

The amount of harm done does not.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:According to Arising it has nothing to do with refugees flooding the country. He's full of crap on that of course.
Do you live here? Can you not read the news? There are no refugees flooding this country, we're not letting them in, what there are are workers from the ex-soviet and non-eu countries working cheaper. Although I think this was also a red-herring as many of the brexiteers led people to believe that if we get rid of them wages will have to rise and the British prole will take the jobs but I think this a dream as aspirations have changed and the prole doesn't want to work long-hard back-breaking hours anymore, as such foreign labour will still be needed and this will cause the situation to become worse as the prole was led to believe they'll be 'getting their country back'. It was a very bad move from certain of our politicians to stoke British Nationalism as its a very dangerous beast to ride and I'm not sure they are competent to do so.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Harbal wrote:Probably. I think they may also be more reliable and harder working, the unscrupulous bastards.
And better trained by the communist system they were in, those bloody swines.

I recently used a Hungarian painter and decorator who painted without masking tape and left no marks, what a show-off!
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Harbal wrote:... As long as the UK is part of the EU, our government hasn't got the ability to exert any control over the situation.
The problem is that they don't appear to be able to do this even if they have the power, as they haven't managed to curtail non-EU migration so why would this situation be any different?

It's untrue that they couldn't have done anything, the French and the Germans capped migration for a fair period when the ex-soviets joined, it was that idiot New Labour party who allowed unfettered access based upon a ridiculous guess about how many would come.

I think the people of Kent are going to be well pissed-off with the camps that are going to have to be set-up in their county, camps that they were told would not happen.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Arising_uk wrote:
I recently used a Hungarian painter and decorator who painted without masking tape and left no marks, what a show-off!
I know. If they're going to come here and compete for our jobs then they should at least play fair.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:globalization (Americanization)
Viva globalization!!!
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

bobevenson wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:globalization (Americanization)
Viva globalization!!!
It's only a euphemism for 'dumbed-down'. And being beholden to giant American corporations is hardly 'freedom'.