Why Lincoln? I don't get it!

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"I'm not sure how you are defining "communitarian" and what is the opposite of a "communitarian" in this private language world of yours but if Sanders is one I must be for "communitarianism" and I'll say it with pride." "

Simply: the communitarian places the community above the individual, the 'we' before the 'i', the many over the one.

And: yes, you're a communitarian, just like most of the folks here.

#

"Sounds like you are "supporting" him now."

May seem that way, but -- really -- just tryin' to keep 'coverage' honest.
yiostheoy

Re: Why Lincoln? I don't get it!

Post by yiostheoy »

Lincoln was indeed initially disapproved of more than either Hillary or Donald currently is.

Lincoln was a homespun lawyer with strong Federalist views. His new party "the Republicans" favored that strong federalism in the face of Southern threats of rebellion and succession.

Ironically, the Southern states began their succession under Buchanan before Abe even could take office.

Even so, Lincoln marshalled what was left of his generals and began trying to mop up the Rebels.

This was not so easy until Grant and Sherman came along. The turning point in the war came with Meade at Gettysburg, but even he was afraid to follow up his victory there with a fast pursuit and final destruction of Lee's army even though Meade outnumbered Lee by 2 to 1 after the battle -- more than he did at the beginning of it.

The Nation was lucky that Grant and Sherman came along at just the right time to save it. Otherwise the Southerners would be growing cotton and tobacco using slave labor to this day -- what an international embarrassment that would be now.

And who knows what state might have succeeded next?
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

yiostheoy wrote:Lincoln was indeed initially disapproved of more than either Hillary or Donald currently is.

Lincoln was a homespun lawyer with strong Federalist views. His new party "the Republicans" favored that strong federalism in the face of Southern threats of rebellion and succession.

Ironically, the Southern states began their succession under Buchanan before Abe even could take office.

Even so, Lincoln marshalled what was left of his generals and began trying to mop up the Rebels.

This was not so easy until Grant and Sherman came along. The turning point in the war came with Meade at Gettysburg, but even he was afraid to follow up his victory there with a fast pursuit and final destruction of Lee's army even though Meade outnumbered Lee by 2 to 1 after the battle -- more than he did at the beginning of it.

The Nation was lucky that Grant and Sherman came along at just the right time to save it. Otherwise the Southerners would be growing cotton and tobacco using slave labor to this day -- what an international embarrassment that would be now.

And who knows what state might have succeeded next?
Take California....please!
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

Melchior wrote:
Take California....please!
California unlike Texas is NOT trying to succeed.

California is trying to take over the entire USA and run it. Same as NYS.

If there is another Civil War it would be between California versus NYS trying to take over the rest of the 50 states -- General Pelosi vs General Bloomberg. Neither one can mind their own business.

Note also that Trump is a NYC boy and Hillary used to live in Oakland CA.

:)
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Lmao! Given your mouth about others ignorance you secede in making a prat of yourself.