Post by marjoram_blues »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Arising_uk wrote:Sunshine.
8)
Sonny and Cher on a crisp, white Sunday morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BERd61bDY7k

Oh, babe, I got you, babe, I got you, babe

...And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And when I get scared, you're always around...

...I got you to hold my hand
I got you to understand
I got you to walk with me
And I got you to talk with me...

I got you babe 8)
artisticsolution

Re: What brightens your day?

Post by artisticsolution »

Aww...those were the days! Cher's long hair....gorgeous! And she always had that ultra shiny lip gloss that I wanted to wear so bad but I was only a kid so my mom,wouldn't let me. Then when I finally got old enough... matte lipstick was all the rage! Always a day late and a dollar short! Ha

Silence.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Lemn Sissay on foster kids as Superheroes - tonight's Ch 4 news.
Articulate - asking a young adult, Keely, what she had managed to keep throughout all her life.
First she mentioned regretfully that she had had a collection of teddy bears...
Lemn picked up that when he moved foster homes, he couldn't keep his own toys. Keely then said the only thing she had kept was her ponytail.

Then Lemn wondered why we tend to see foster kids as trouble when it is natural to runaway from an unsafe environment. Why can't we think of them as Superheroes, like Harry Potter?

Also, on 'success': not so much about his achievements as poet/writer, more about seeing himself in the mirror and knowing he is OK. A good person in spite of all that has happened.

Superheroes Speaking Out.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Jon Snow
Channel 4 News
Interviews on subject of Children in Care and the way forward. Sounds as interesting as dried up food in a pot. However, still can't get over last night's brilliance and really, really wish I had a copy. Who knew the news could bring joy to the heart.

A show of seamless good thinking and nature; creativity combined with experiences and policies of experts.
I remember images of Keely as the pony-tailed superhero, painted larger than life on an interior wall.
Lemn Sissay's 'Rain', a mural poem on a Manchester streetcorner: http://www.movingmanchester-schools.com/?page_id=333
The total rapport between the two as 'experts'.

Listen and read Lemn's story here ( there is an interactive transcript, select any language):
https://www.ted.com/talks/lemn_sissay_a ... =en#t-6148

Then, the courteous and constructive discussion - led by Jon, between Lemn; a Tory Minister ( so-called expert on policy) and a trainee social worker ( also an expert, previously a child in care).
This is where I wish I could remember the words used by Lemn, as he gently countered the Minister, and her approach and perspective taken.

The respect, the knowledge and the smiling face; uplifting and uplighting.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Hobbsy on fire.

...philosophy is the examination of that babble, the process of understanding of babble, and the realisation of consequences of the fact that some people believe in the babble.
Walker

Post by Walker »

A good laugh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8tzlfvJ9-w

A simulacrum of dialogue.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Walker wrote:A good laugh!

Are you talking about you having a good laugh AT someone, or something... in the PN forum? Anything specific?
Walker

Post by Walker »

marjoram_blues wrote:

Are you talking about you having a good laugh AT someone, or something... in the PN forum? Anything specific?
I'm talking about the link, Silly!

Not AT someone.

In brief, the sharp directness of the voice silences distractions.

This principle is used in some spiritual practices.

When distractions are silenced, then comes Aha!

When distractions are silenced, the warmth of humor bubbles up.

The linked video is about the delight of adversity!
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Walker wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:

I'm talking about the link, Silly!

Not AT someone.

In brief, the sharp directness of the voice silences distractions.

This principle is used in some spiritual practices.

When distractions are silenced, then comes Aha!

When distractions are silenced, the warmth of humor bubbles up.

The linked video is about the delight of adversity!
Silly Billy, little me, eh :roll:
Still worth a check to see what you were getting at; laughing AT any philo dialogue here would not be unusual...in fact, it is probably seriously necessary.

I can see Humour lying on a Hot-Cold spectrum, arising from all kinds of scenarios. [Reminder to self: must read current PN magazine]
Not seeing this principle you talk of. Silence me up some spiritual Ha-Hahness, will ya?
Walker

Post by Walker »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Still worth a check to see what you were getting at; laughing AT any philo dialogue here would not be unusual...in fact, it is probably seriously necessary.

I can see Humour lying on a Hot-Cold spectrum, arising from all kinds of scenarios. [Reminder to self: must read current PN magazine]
Not seeing this principle you talk of. Silence me up some spiritual Ha-Hahness, will ya?
I'd say worth it, and necessary.

For a more-or-less general interest, public forum, appropriateness calls for being rather than instructions for becoming.

Under forum conditions, being is Word, and beingness paradoxically requires not the equivalence denoted by “to be.”
Walker

Post by Walker »

Could be just a guy thing. Could just be me. In the U.S. the guy would let it rip.

Holding back out of faux consideration for Chmelar is the shtick.

British Tv Host Cant Stop Laughing At German Name

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7lqeemM-XU
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Walker wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:

I'd say worth it, and necessary.

For a more-or-less general interest, public forum, appropriateness calls for being rather than instructions for becoming.

Under forum conditions, being is Word, and beingness paradoxically requires not the equivalence denoted by “to be.”
The worth and necessity of asking further questions of anyone is debatable - especially when the response is pretty much predictable gobbledygook.
However, Walker, you are clearly an exception. The principle of the Sharp Directness of Voice did indeed produce a deep Silence.
In other words, the process worked :shock:
The ensuing warm Bubbliness of Being was The Word and The Laugh. Thank you.
I think they should name a bath product after it. Howzabout...'Philosophy of the F-A-R-T' ( the Force and Art of Righteous Ticklification)
Last edited by marjoram_blues on Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Walker wrote:Could be just a guy thing. Could just be me. In the U.S. the guy would let it rip.

Seriously? Did you go out of your way to find that clip - or do you have a well-kept store that you dip into for special occasions ?
Walker

Post by Walker »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Walker wrote:Could be just a guy thing. Could just be me. In the U.S. the guy would let it rip.

Seriously? Did you go out of your way to find that clip - or do you have a well-kept store that you dip into for special occasions ?
Weird, isn’t it.

I was looking for an old clip. It’s a clip of a German weather girl who gets the giggles on-air. She is just so real, so unscripted, so cute and spontaneous, and her laughing is infectous in the best of ways. All body language and laughter. She would surely brighten any old gloomy day. But it’s gone now, and this other one immediately popped up with the search words, “laughing German weather lady.”
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Even the Sad Times are Good

I think this will be truly worth a listen:
How My Sister Said Goodbye is on BBC Radio 4 on 30 December at 11am. You can donate to Marie Curie at justgiving.com/FionaFreedland.

I read this article yesterday; I only give you snippets - if you want the biggest lump in your throat ever, you can read it here:
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... land-discs

What do you picture when you hear the theme music to Desert Island Discs? For years, I did as the title suggests: I’d imagine a remote beach of bone-white sand, with the requisite lone palm tree, surrounded by azure blue waters. But now I have only to hear that melody to be taken somewhere else entirely. The instant that gentle tune plays out from the radio on a Sunday morning, I am back in the living room of my older sister, Fiona, having a conversation that was absorbing, funny, revealing – and the last such talk we would ever share.

How My Sister Said Goodbye - extract
Jonathan Freedland in conversation with his sister Fiona, whose final wish was to record her own Desert Island Discs

She had been diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2009, when she was 45. She had been through extraordinarily intensive medical treatment: 18 or 19 operations (she had lost count), and between 70 and 80 rounds of chemotherapy (she had lost count of that number, too). Her doctors told her she had set some kind of record.
But by the early spring of 2014 it was becoming clear that the disease could not be resisted much longer. She knew she was going to die....

...She mentioned the answering machine message that she had kept, carefully stored and saved, from our mother, who had died two years earlier. She cherished it because it was the only recording she had of her voice. She sometimes played it back, just to feel near her. She didn’t want Beth and Ellie, or Robin, to be in that position. She wanted to give them more than a scrap to hold on to.
Fiona told me she wanted to record her own Desert Island Discs
...the format demands the interviewee look back over a life in full, which is what she wanted.

She began with Doris Day singing Que Sera Sera. It wasn’t there for its musical value so much as a reminder of our own mother, who loved the song and would sometimes sing it to Fiona when she was a little girl. As the song played out, the two of us were transported back to our childhoods, the room filling with memories of those years we had shared: Fiona the oldest, me the youngest, with Dani in between. Like smell, music seems to have a hard-wired connection to memory, evoking the past instantly and powerfully...

...Inevitably, we drew closer to her illness and to the reason she was playing the castaway. She spoke of the previous five years, of the ordeal of her treatment and the pain she had endured. Yet she also described the joy she had felt in that period, her appreciation of the family she loved and of life itself, every day of which she had learned to savour.

...she recalled a family holiday in Italy, by a lake where almost every day she would swim in the water while Robin and her daughters drifted by on a pedalo. She was then recovering from a recent round of surgery but as she swam, she would think to herself, “This is just heaven. Heaven.” The song that brought all that back, the song the four of them had belted out as they packed up their towels for each daily trip, was Edith Piaf’s La Vie En Rose...

The function of the recording, imagined by Fiona as a posthumous gift, began to change. When close friends came to visit, Fiona would ask, or motion to, Robin to put on the CD, and they would listen with her. Sometimes, when she could, she would nod or smile at the relevant moments. Sometimes she might squeeze their hand. But, in what she knew were her last times with those she loved, she let her special edition of Desert Island Discs do the talking. It became the way she said goodbye.

...She understood that this could be an extremely helpful way to approach a terminal illness: helpful for the person facing the end, helpful for those left behind. She had told the story of her life, addressed those she wanted to speak to, made sure those who loved her would still be able to hear her voice when they needed to. People leave wills and letters, of course. But sometimes it’s the voice you long for.
I love this. How would you start to pick the music of your life...chronologically, melodies galore but there will always be stand-out moments.