What brightens your day?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoram_blues

Re: What brightens your day?

Post by marjoram_blues »

Can anyone here enlighten me as to how I might record the BBC R4 programme mentioned above.
Also, how I could record something similar - I love this idea of a Desert Island audio legacy.
Appreciate any help...
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

marjoram_blues wrote:Can anyone here enlighten me as to how I might record the BBC R4 programme mentioned above.
Also, how I could record something similar - I love this idea of a Desert Island audio legacy.
Appreciate any help...
Hi Marjoram - if you are listening via the internet this should do the trick:-
http://download.cnet.com/Streaming-Audi ... 05083.html
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Obvious Leo wrote:Clive is regarded as a great Australian icon and by many as possibly our most significant cultural export of the past half century. He was a rebellious child of the sixties counter-culture who managed to get up the noses of practically every known authority figure in what was a very culturally constrained society at the time. He was (and is) a slayer of sacred cows and this fellow writer in the Aussie vernacular salutes him as the Messiah!! Keep stickin' it up 'em, cobber.
What a great idea for my Dad's Christmas present..a Clive James book! Just hope i can find one in time..dammit!!
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

attofishpi wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:Can anyone here enlighten me as to how I might record the BBC R4 programme mentioned above.
Appreciate any help...
Hi Marjoram - if you are listening via the internet this should do the trick:-
http://download.cnet.com/Streaming-Audi ... 05083.html
Thanks for that. I don't usually listen via the internet but I'll give it a go. Kinda gave up on recording anything - apart from small audio files during my language courses.
About time I caught up with technology...reel 2 reel is just so passe' :wink:
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Music

Now and again I pop into the Music thread ( Aesthetics).

What brightens my day?
When people post not only links but provide information and even the lyrics, or part thereof. New discoveries of substance. And sometimes the quirky, the jaw-dropping ones of a kids performance...

A recent favourite: 'I talk to the wind'...King Crimson (posted by Spheres).

Keep 'em coming :)
hazlett

Post by hazlett »

Reading book while drinking coffee in my favorite chair.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

hazlett wrote:Reading book while drinking coffee in my favorite chair.
The simple things in life.
How many chairs do you have? Why is that one the favourite- will the others get jealous?
For me, it's all about position. Natural light and putting my feet up. Oh yeah, and tea with a chocolate digestive. Yum.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Driving out on a dark, blustery morn for a Christmas haircut :roll:
Walker

Post by Walker »

marjoram_blues wrote:Driving out on a dark, blustery morn for a Christmas haircut :roll:
I just cut my hair this morning. :shock:

Buzz cut, electric clippers. I’m not too particular.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Working out...

Walker

Post by Walker »

That's brilliant!

:D

More resistance for him
Less for her
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Bill Wiltrack, he say: ' Working out... '

:) Fit for purpose.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/work+out
work out
1. To accomplish by work or effort: worked out a compromise.
2. To find a solution for; solve: worked out the equations; worked out their personal differences.
3. To formulate or develop: work out a plan.
4. To discharge (an obligation or debt) with labor in place of money.
5. To prove successful, effective, or satisfactory: The new strategy may not work out.
6. To have a specified result: The ratio works out to an odd number. It worked out that everyone left on the same train.
7. To engage in strenuous exercise for physical conditioning.
8. To exhaust (a mine, for example).
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Vinegar.

All-purpose, no messing...
What a veritable blessing

And now I must dash
sprouts to peel
teapot to clean

the joys of Christmas Eve

If I get lost in the scrimmage
I wish everyone here,
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !!!
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

marjoram_blues wrote:Amongst all the doom'n'gloom of dreich winter days
I honestly don't find overcast, winter, or rainy days as doom 'n' gloom. To me they are all necessary for life on planet earth. I actually hate sunny days more if there is a lot of humidity, such that it's really humid days I can't stand, though we are 70 some percent water. :shock:

and being inundated with depressing and anger-inducing headlines,
Now that I agree with, yet for me it can simply be when I'm reminded of mankinds reluctance to change for the better, that sets me off.

it is easy to slip into the greyest of moods.
Grey might be my actual color, at least on the inside. ;)

So, this morning I read the latest from Clive James, who can still manage to raise a smile and share special moments of joy with others.
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... mes-winter

My maple tree has shed the last of its fiery leaves. This is now the actual winter, not a rehearsal. In compensation, my friend Ann Baer has sent me an autumn maple leaf in its full crimson glory. I have propped it up in the bookcase near where I write. Ann Baer is 101 years old and I am hoping to catch some of her secret.
I could use more time, but it will need luck. My main drug might stave off the leukemia indefinitely, but indefinitely could mean until tomorrow. Meanwhile, my morning antibiotics pick’n’mix must deal with winter’s threat to my tattered lungs, and a few days ago the threat was multiplied by the sudden failure of the heating system in my house.
I had to spend 24 hours wearing a complete set of thermal underwear under thick corduroy trousers and several sweaters: the layered look. The thermostat doodad was successfully replaced only just before I left for the oncology clinic at Addenbrooke’s. I was the only person in the waiting room who looked as if he had mistaken the clinic for a ski resort.
But the blood-tests were fine and I came home more determined than ever to enjoy the little things. Better than pretending you are living on a knife-edge like a downhill racer is to enjoy the way the coffee smells before you spoon it out of the tin. Call it the smaller hedonism. My niece, learning Russian at Melbourne University, spotted an error when I told her that the language is like being embraced by a bear in a fur coat. A bear, she pointed out, has a fur coat already. She was right: I should have said a bear in a brocade dressing gown. But I am delighted she has an eye for detail...
'...enjoy the way the coffee smells before you spoon it out of the tin. Call it the smaller hedonism...'

Beautiful thoughts expressed with skill and in the spirit of humour and delight.
But I think that besides visible light brightening my day, ;) , it's something cute, innocent, honest, funny, or that smells really good and inviting, like maybe freshly ground coffee, whether it's in the tin/plastic or not. Does that make me a non specific hedonist?
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:Amongst all the doom'n'gloom of dreich winter days
I honestly don't find overcast, winter, or rainy days as doom 'n' gloom. To me they are all necessary for life on planet earth. I actually hate sunny days more if there is a lot of humidity, such that it's really humid days I can't stand, though we are 70 some percent water. :shock:

and being inundated with depressing and anger-inducing headlines,
Now that I agree with, yet for me it can simply be when I'm reminded of mankinds reluctance to change for the better, that sets me off.

it is easy to slip into the greyest of moods.
Grey might be my actual color, at least on the inside. ;)

So, this morning I read the latest from Clive James, who can still manage to raise a smile and share special moments of joy with others.
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... mes-winter

My maple tree has shed the last of its fiery leaves. This is now the actual winter, not a rehearsal. In compensation, my friend Ann Baer has sent me an autumn maple leaf in its full crimson glory. I have propped it up in the bookcase near where I write. Ann Baer is 101 years old and I am hoping to catch some of her secret.
I could use more time, but it will need luck. My main drug might stave off the leukemia indefinitely, but indefinitely could mean until tomorrow. Meanwhile, my morning antibiotics pick’n’mix must deal with winter’s threat to my tattered lungs, and a few days ago the threat was multiplied by the sudden failure of the heating system in my house.
I had to spend 24 hours wearing a complete set of thermal underwear under thick corduroy trousers and several sweaters: the layered look. The thermostat doodad was successfully replaced only just before I left for the oncology clinic at Addenbrooke’s. I was the only person in the waiting room who looked as if he had mistaken the clinic for a ski resort.
But the blood-tests were fine and I came home more determined than ever to enjoy the little things. Better than pretending you are living on a knife-edge like a downhill racer is to enjoy the way the coffee smells before you spoon it out of the tin. Call it the smaller hedonism. My niece, learning Russian at Melbourne University, spotted an error when I told her that the language is like being embraced by a bear in a fur coat. A bear, she pointed out, has a fur coat already. She was right: I should have said a bear in a brocade dressing gown. But I am delighted she has an eye for detail...
'...enjoy the way the coffee smells before you spoon it out of the tin. Call it the smaller hedonism...'

Beautiful thoughts expressed with skill and in the spirit of humour and delight.
But I think that besides visible light brightening my day, ;) , it's something cute, innocent, honest, funny, or that smells really good and inviting, like maybe freshly ground coffee, whether it's in the tin/plastic or not. Does that make me a non specific hedonist?
Ah Spheres - thanks for dropping by. Always a pleasure to talk with you, even if you don't always hear what I say ( because I'm mouthing at the screen).
I adore some of your more gnarly growls, I also laugh out loud at some of our other wonderful 'characters' ( devils included)...not liking the more hateful screeches but hey, this thread is to help balance out my mind - taking it to a sunnier clime.

It can be overwhelming and I really wish I could type out all my feelings and thoughts which arise - but time and energy are against me. Just hope that you and others keep on doing what you're doing. It would be a boring and useless place if we all agreed.

I'm not sure if you are a 'non-specific hedonist' - you are who you are. And that's just fine. As you say, we are all works in progress. Some of us are more work than others.
Enjoy the festivities and keep well.