Michel Foucault

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RachelAnn

Michel Foucault

Post by RachelAnn »

aka "Uncle Fester"
Anyone out there read "The Birth of the Clinic?" Got comments?
Yeah, I am reading Rorty, Canguilhem, and Foucault while the kids shovel the snow and sweep the chimney.
My reading list this winter break indicates masochistic tendencies, says my husband.
Why?
Beats me.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

Are you keeping up with your wifely duties? :twisted:
TheJanus

Post by TheJanus »

I've read it. I had to for a project I was doing on the subject of Early Modern Madness! How very light! It is a good read, though nowhere near as good as Madness and Civilization. I do, however, feel that in order to understand the latter book, you need to read the former. Also check out Foucault's lectures titled "Abnormal"; they provide a great accompanyment to the work of Canguilheim, and they more generally some up the field and work of New Historicist practice - the unpicking of the specific in relation to the general. Hope this helps! :shock:
amateurphilosophynerd

Keep going Rachel a fellow sufferer in the philosophical art

Post by amateurphilosophynerd »

Speaking as one so afflicted I know what you mean.(except I am not married :cry: ). Keep on with it. ( I have ended up half abandoning books and buying new ones). blessings
Grim

Re: Michel Foucault

Post by Grim »

I happen to have a copy of "Madness and Civilization" as well if anyone particularly wants to start a discussion.

:book: