Do we lose our identity when we die?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Do we lose our identity when we die?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

If we go on, in what form?

PhilX
attofishpi

Re: Do we lose our identity when we die?

Post by attofishpi »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:If we go on, in what form?

PhilX
What a pointless thread and question. Nobody knows the answer to that, not even me and i know God exists.
ReliStuPhD

Post by ReliStuPhD »

PhilX
Depends on who you ask.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

ReliStuPhD wrote:

PhilX
Depends on who you ask.
A sage?..you know any?
jackles

Post by jackles »

Thats just it the local identity is confused after death. Because it finds no locality only its self as ego or the false identity of ego. If how ever you in local life find ya true id which is nolocality then alls well.
ReliStuPhD

Post by ReliStuPhD »

attofishpi wrote:
ReliStuPhD wrote:

PhilX
Depends on who you ask.
A sage?..you know any?
Google?
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Depends on what ego you have. Most egos are similar. Naturally when you are reborn you will become same as local again. You will get a new unique avatar each avatar is a random grabbag but it's the same sucker, just different flavors, orange watermelon cherry or grape. It's the random reset that makes it fun, plus you get to take on thoughts an identities of famous books and cultural avatars. It's during puberty when your identity begins to change into conglomerate social blah-isms. Poor fashion trends nowadays, how boring. If you are special you'll dress differently. Play it safe if you can't pick an identity and won't lose an identity pick em all. (all the cool ones)
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

PhilX
'We' don't go on but our constituent parts return to feed a part of the world in the form of chemicals.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

PhilX
Dust, usually.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Arising_uk wrote:
PhilX
'We' don't go on but our constituent parts return to feed a part of the world in the form of chemicals.
Explain the mechanism of action. What you are saying is, life arises with no discernable cause, exists for a handful of years in a mediocre world, and then suddenly, inexplicably, never arises again, for an infinite number of years. Meanwhile during this time there are millions of conscious beings, yet your consciousness (consciousness, not neccessarily personality) somehow never arises again. Doesn't sound too scientific.

Personally, I'm scared. I don't want to live forever, nor do I want to experience their dweeby, boring, tedious, sufferable lives. So please explain the science behind this eternal non-existence you speak of.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

How can you loose something that you never had? There are some who believe that what we call identity, or ego, is really just an segment of a larger, universal identity that recombines with the universal consciousness at death. If this is true and, we are actually still part of the universal consciousness, but are just under the illusion that we are separate, then there is nothing, that is the individual, that we will loose. We just return to the state we were in before, and have not really lost anything.

HC, I believe that dust comes much later, at first it is usually worm food, or ashes. I suppose you could argue that ashes are a kind of dust.
jackles

Post by jackles »

Yep how can you let go of something you never had sums it up in a perfect way. Consciousness was always nolocal you cant loose nothing. And nothing is the real you.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:Explain the mechanism of action. What you are saying is, life arises with no discernable cause, exists for a handful of years in a mediocre world, and then suddenly, inexplicably, never arises again, for an infinite number of years.
You see any dodo's, passenger pigeons, dinosaurs, recreated humans?
Meanwhile during this time there are millions of conscious beings, yet your consciousness (consciousness, not neccessarily personality) somehow never arises again. Doesn't sound too scientific.
Sounds very scientific to me, one-way entropy.
Personally, I'm scared. I don't want to live forever, nor do I want to experience their dweeby, boring, tedious, sufferable lives. ...
Don't be, when you're dead you'll never experience again, and cheer-up it'll all be over pretty soon.
So please explain the science behind this eternal non-existence you speak of.
Sure, you're a one-way entropic system as is the universe.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Arising_uk wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:Explain the mechanism of action. What you are saying is, life arises with no discernable cause, exists for a handful of years in a mediocre world, and then suddenly, inexplicably, never arises again, for an infinite number of years.
Meanwhile during this time there are millions of conscious beings, yet your consciousness (consciousness, not neccessarily personality) somehow never arises again. Doesn't sound too scientific.
Personally, I'm scared. I don't want to live forever, nor do I want to experience their dweeby, boring, tedious, sufferable lives. ...
Don't be, when you're dead you'll never experience again, and cheer-up it'll all be over pretty soon.
How is energy created or destroyed?
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
Arising_uk wrote:
How is energy created or destroyed?
Energy can be converted into mass and vice-versa (it's really the law of conservation of energy and mass).

PhilX