Experiments and observations.

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

duszek

Experiments and observations.

Post by duszek »

Multitasking is not supposed to be good and the reasons given are convincing.

Is reading during meals an example of it ?

Not if you observe the following rhythm:

you eat slowly until your stomach says: a break please !

Then you move to the food for the mind and read a passage or two, until your mind says: a break, please !

So you turn to eating again. And so on.

It is important to switch off the will power and to delegate the decision about the break to one´s body (stomach in this case) and to one´s mind.

It is good to occupy one´s mind during a meal with good material because otherwise worries and bad thoughts can occupy one´s mind, accompanied by negative emotions, and this is definitely undesirable.
duszek

Re: Experiments and observations.

Post by duszek »

When you exercise with what is called in Germany an expander, in a fancy way, then after a while you can move your back as if new muscles had grown there. They must have been there all the time but were never used before.
duszek

Post by duszek »

When young children have to listen to something not very pleasant and that makes them tense they naturally relieve the bodily tension by making strage bodily movements, as if they were doing unconscious pantomime.
It could also be compared to tai chi.

I often do something resembling tai chi (or streching after a sleep) and think that the slow movements have a value on its own, and perhaps are even better for me at that particular moment, better than the sequences of movements as taught in special tai chi classes.
What a Chinese person has considered good for his body hundreds of years ago may not be exactly what my particular body requires in a different moment of human history.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

Love your disease.
duszek

Post by duszek »

The first bit of a dish without salt or any spices tastes weak but then very soon the sense of taste sharpens and discovers taste in the previously un-tasty.

The first sip of tea does not taste as pronounced as the sips about 20 minutes later.

The sense of taste seems to need a warm-up time before it can function fully.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Black and green tea and also herbs for herbal teas could be used as spices.

Today I added some leaves of fermented Darjeeling into my morning soup. A cup of black tea can be too strong but a few leaves in a soup ? The effect of making one more alive for the rest of the day should be the same. Now I watch the level of my awakeness during the day. It seems to work.

Yesterday it was the leaves of melissa which I consumed as a salad instead of throwing them away (after the tea was drunk). I recognized them as the same ones which I ate raw in a bunch of fresh herbs in summer.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Pop music can help your moods. Perhaps that is why Princess Diana also danced to it at home when her life did not offer her enough reasons to be cheerful.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Inspired by the "savages":

instead of getting bored and worried and troubled by the lack of meaning in life
one can fill the gaps between one important activity and the next by

moving wildly and yelling silently to the right emotional background (pop music).

Good for physical and mental fitness, low costs.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Nutcrackers are not a good invention. A simple middle-sized hammer is for more effective. The disadvantages are a possible noise disturbing the neighbours and (probably) the light bulb in the table lamp gets broken by the vibrations, if you crack the nuts with a hammer on a table with a table lamp. My observations: the light bulb worked the night before and the following night, after the hammering of nuts, the wire inside was cut.

A good compromise: I hit the nuts one by one on the threshold, carry them to the table and finish the job with nutcrackers.

Nutcrackers were probably invented for people who lacked precision of movements and hit their fingers with the hammer.
duszek

Post by duszek »

When a body does not feel like running then there must be a reason to it.
Perhaps the joints are not ready for this exercise.

But a body may feel like walking on tip-toes for a while and get strong ankles that way.
And then it may feel like jumping up and down on a mat (silently, elastically, like a cat, so that the tenant below is not disturbed) and this may lead after a while to the body´s yearning for a run.

I just wait and see.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Speaking of experiments and observations, have you ever been involved in any psychological experiments?
duszek

Post by duszek »

Not yet, but I wouldn´t mind.

On the other hand, psychology takes place all the time in everyday life.
I observe as a lay person, draw conclusions, and try to make better choices next time.

Also on this forum, one needs to be a psychologist, up to a point.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Some people talk a lot. They seem to have an urge to do it.
Perhaps it is because they like to move their facial and head muscles.
But talking strains their vocal cords.

So how about dancing with the face ?

I mean: to let the face dance instead of the legs and the body.

One can react to impressions from the outside world by facial movements. Or to one´s own feelings and emotions.

It is better to remain unobserved while doing so.

It might be good for the hair growth: the blood circulates better in the sculp that way.
And it might prevent headaches.
duszek

Post by duszek »

We always draw sufficient conclusions from insufficient clues.
Clues are insufficient per se because nothing is sufficient.
Conclusions are sufficient for our further course of action.

If someone I know reacts in a tough way to someone I do not know then I abstain from mingling with the new person.
duszek

Post by duszek »

It is better not to know the lyrics of a pop song I like.
So I can attach my own associations to the emotions expressed by the melody and the rhythm.