Who are the real wild animals?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

puto

Re: Who are the real wild animals?

Post by puto »

'He who has a why to live can bear with almost anyhow'. Friedrich Nietzsche. So if you want you win :D
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

puto wrote:'He who has a why to live can bear with almost anyhow'. Friedrich Nietzsche. So if you want you win :D
I respect your education, could you please reiterate his sentence that you've quoted above in your own words?

Thank You!

Happy Thanksgiving! (from an American human)
puto

Post by puto »

No.
SpheresOfBalance

puto wrote:No.
Well Happy Thanksgiving anyway, life's too short "...for fussing and fighting my friend!"

PEACE, my friend!
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:Now that I've gotten your OK.

You assume you know a poacher. You assume I've built and designed human killing machines. You assume he does it for wages. You assume that killing is OK if it's for wages. You assume that my solution is not OK because it's not your way. You assume you know the way of a poacher. You assume that money is a good thing somehow. You assume you know the correct way. You assume that humankind knows what they're doing!
I'm fairly dubious theres this entity 'humankind' that knows bugger all. Yes I do assume money has a positive intention behind it, not least that barter starts to fail in complexity. I do assume the poacher collects rhino horns for the money, why do you think he does it? I think you have no 'solution' if its just to tell the poacher, "Stop it!". I did assume that your proclamations of working for the US DoD meant that you have a moral culpability in the death of others, as unless the US DoD has gone into retail and you were working on a bigger and better toaster, then they' have been doing their job and producing things to support the troops, who kill people.
Your sensing waffling could also be due to the assumption of understanding. But, OK!

Then I submit that Bill has a philosophy just like every other human, and he's just one that you fail to see eye to eye. Which is your right, but I think that in the spirit of fair play, you should give way to his right to speak as well as yours. During the Internets 'Blue Ribbon' campaign a wise leader of the movement said that: 'you don't really believe in freedom of speech until you fight for the right of your worst enemies right to speak freely.'
I think we are at cross-points here, as what has Bill got to do with post-modernism, as lance4k portrays, which was the style I thought you were referring to with your link.
No, I'm unhappy because mankinds current course is a bust along with a lot of other things. To ask the question "of what?" indicates that you have not read all my inclusions in this thread, which I demand you do before you ever engage me again in this thread, then your question shall be answered. I shall not be forced to reiterate for every lazy Tom, Dick, Harry and Arising_uk that comes along.
I have read your entries in this thread and so far I can't find any 'causal indicators', just your personal doom and gloom about the future.

Do you think such a "demand" can work in this medium?
Do you even know what inference is? I guess you had another problem with that mean old circular dictionary again, huh?
I have no problems with dictionaries. I do know what an inference is, as I like Logic.
Look, I'm sorry for the sarcasm but, do you understand the implications of A being nastier with B after B consistently disagrees with A in light of A being nicer to B only after B agrees with A on a particular? That was my allusion. And I submit that in light of my inference, had you taken notice, it would have allowed for a higher level of argument between us. ...
I thought I told you? I did not accept your assertion that I changed my manner after agreeing a point with you. If you have a higher-level then please feel free to use it, I'll try to keep up and let you know when I can't. It's also silly to apologise for sarcasm, ruins its point.
But we seem stuck here with my need of continued reiteration, which is swiftly becoming monotonous. ...
I think you'll find that it is you stuck there with this need. I'm a philosopher, I'm trained to bear monotony.
I once thought I'd be a good teacher, but I'd suck, because I become impatient and frustrated when I feel I'm beating my head against the wall. Maybe it's because I no longer exercise and have become a couch potato. But I digress, in allowing you to see me more clearly.
With respect to the teaching, if you are beating your head against a wall, do something different.
It seems that everything I say escapes you. My point was, for the second time, your statement to Bill seemed to indicate your sympathy with Nietzsche's Will to Power (selfishness) as if it was something to be proud of and embrace. ...
Does his Will to Power have to be selfish? I'd say that interpretation could depend upon ones culture. I'm not sure even now that I've understood Nietzche and I've had to read the canon and understand what led to him but he bloody well makes an impact I'll give him that. So I think ideas like "your sympathy with ..." and "Will to Power (selfishness)" the sign of a popular opinion rather than experience of reading him, could be wrong tho'.
I was wondering do you agree with this quote of Nietzsche:

"Women are considered profound. Why? Because we never fathom their depths. But women aren't even shallow."

I think he kept his head where the sun doesn't shine, how about you?
"Without music, life would be a mistake.”

“It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.”

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”

“Man is the cruelest animal.”

Where do you think his head is now?
Well I'm sorry you have an aversion to acronyms. Look it up! As to annihilation read the topic; and then man follows.
But when will man follow? I think it a bold person who claims Mankind would not survive most catastrophes and life pretty much always. Do you mean that what we currently call civilization may vanish? I thought you'd like that as then all the other animals may get a break.
It would seem that you don't have a clue.
Tell me about what?
It wouldn't matter if I told you, Obviously you're not seriously into this conversation, either that, or you really are flighty.
A lot of assumptions there?
I think Bill does fine. As I said before, here at PNF we have spice in the variety of people. Bill I can handle, he's OK and adds an element of surprise. Some should sign up with "Nasty People Anonymous." I know that I tend to be abrasive sometimes as well, in terms of loosing my patience and not dealing with my frustration appropriately. But I'm also probably one of the few that can look in the mirror and honestly face themselves. Anyway, I like Bill for being Bill! And he can be just a potent in causing one to think!
Maybe but on the whole he doesn't want to talk about what he thinks, as such I think he's just punting his cause.
I agree! This is one of the most mature sites I've ever had the privilege of visiting. I don't necessarily mean the people in the forums but the Mod and any other administrative entities hat may visit. My hats off to them. It would seem that death threats are the only no-no and rightfully so! This is the kind of moderation I'd expect from a Philosophy site, IMHO. Mature despite the immaturity. Discussion can be heated. Yes this forum is a breath of fresh air, you can almost believe that you're really free.
I'm not sure what you mean by "you can almost believe that you're really free."? I look at the mods signature and think, hmm... but then I remember the old PNF motto.
It matters not, he deserves the same amount of indulgence you expect.
:lol: And that is exactly what he gets from me. Is this you indulging me?
Thanks. Hey I'm sorry I'm such a pain. It would seem that you and I are largely incompatible. I think it would be better if you stopped engaging me as some of your comments really piss me off and I'm afraid I'll berate you even more. I need to start exercising again.
Better for who?
:lol: If you think this berating on a philosophy forum. I think you put to much weight on exercise having much effect in this matter, but I agree that its always good for you, so have at it.
What my OS has is laughable. And these binocular glasses are no fun either.
Most have a magnifying application?
Last edited by Arising_uk on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpheresOfBalance

Arising_uk wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:Now that I've gotten your OK.

You assume you know a poacher. You assume I've built and designed human killing machines. You assume he does it for wages. You assume that killing is OK if it's for wages. You assume that my solution is not OK because it's not your way. You assume you know the way of a poacher. You assume that money is a good thing somehow. You assume you know the correct way. You assume that humankind knows what they're doing!
I'm fairly dubious theres this entity 'humankind' that knows bugger all. Yes I do assume money has a positive intention behind it, not least that barter starts to fail in complexity. I do assume the poacher collects rhino horns for the money, why do you think he does it? I think you have no 'solution' if its just to tell the poacher, "Stop it!". I did assume that your proclamations of working for the US DoD meant that you have a moral culpability in the death of others, as unless the US DoD has gone into retail and you were working on a bigger and better toaster, then they' have been doing their job and producing things to support the troops, who kill people.
Your sensing waffling could also be due to the assumption of understanding. But, OK!

Then I submit that Bill has a philosophy just like every other human, and he's just one that you fail to see eye to eye. Which is your right, but I think that in the spirit of fair play, you should give way to his right to speak as well as yours. During the Internets 'Blue Ribbon' campaign a wise leader of the movement said that: 'you don't really believe in freedom of speech until you fight for the right of your worst enemies right to speak freely.'
I think we are at cross-points here, as what has Bill got to do with post-modernism, as lance4k portrays, which was the style I thought you were referring to with your link.
No, I'm unhappy because mankinds current course is a bust along with a lot of other things. To ask the question "of what?" indicates that you have not read all my inclusions in this thread, which I demand you do before you ever engage me again in this thread, then your question shall be answered. I shall not be forced to reiterate for every lazy Tom, Dick, Harry and Arising_uk that comes along.
I have read your entries in this thread and so far I can't find any 'causal indicators', just your personal doom and gloom about the future.

Do you think such a "demand" can work in this medium?
Do you even know what inference is? I guess you had another problem with that mean old circular dictionary again, huh?
I have no problems with dictionaries. I do know what an inference is, as I like Logic.
Look, I'm sorry for the sarcasm but, do you understand the implications of A being nastier with B after B consistently disagrees with A in light of A being nicer to B only after B agrees with A on a particular? That was my allusion. And I submit that in light of my inference, had you taken notice, it would have allowed for a higher level of argument between us. ...
I thought I told you? I did not accept your assertion that I changed my manner after agreeing a point with you. If you have a higher-level then please feel free to use it, I'll try to keep up and let you know when I can't. It's also silly to apologise for sarcasm, ruins its point.
But we seem stuck here with my need of continued reiteration, which is swiftly becoming monotonous. ...
I think you'll find that it is you stuck there with this need. I'm a philosopher, I'm trained to bear monotony.
I once thought I'd be a good teacher, but I'd suck, because I become impatient and frustrated when I feel I'm beating my head against the wall. Maybe it's because I no longer exercise and have become a couch potato. But I digress, in allowing you to see me more clearly.
With respect to the teaching, if you are beating your head against a wall, do something different.
It seems that everything I say escapes you. My point was, for the second time, your statement to Bill seemed to indicate your sympathy with Nietzsche's Will to Power (selfishness) as if it was something to be proud of and embrace. ...
Does his Will to Power have to be selfish? I'd say that interpretation could depend upon ones culture. I'm not sure even now, that I've understood Nietzche and I've had to read the canon and understand what led to him but he bloody well makes an impact, I'll give him that. So I think ideas like "your sympathy with ..." and "Will to Power (selfishness)" the sign of a popular opinion rather than experience of reading him, could be wrong tho'.
I was wondering do you agree with this quote of Nietzsche:

"Women are considered profound. Why? Because we never fathom their depths. But women aren't even shallow."

I think he kept his head where the sun doesn't shine, how about you?
"Without music, life would be a mistake.”

“It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.”

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”

“Man is the cruelest animal.”

Where do you think his head is now?
Well I'm sorry you have an aversion to acronyms. Look it up! As to annihilation read the topic; and then man follows.
But when will man follow? I think it a bold person who claims Mankind would not survive most catastrophes and life pretty much always. Do you mean that what we currently call civilization may vanish? I thought you'd like that as then all the other animals may get a break.
It would seem that you don't have a clue.
Tell me about what?
It wouldn't matter if I told you, Obviously you're not seriously into this conversation, either that, or you really are flighty.
A lot of assumptions there?
I think Bill does fine. As I said before, here at PNF we have spice in the variety of people. Bill I can handle, he's OK and adds an element of surprise. Some should sign up with "Nasty People Anonymous." I know that I tend to be abrasive sometimes as well, in terms of loosing my patience and not dealing with my frustration appropriately. But I'm also probably one of the few that can look in the mirror and honestly face themselves. Anyway, I like Bill for being Bill! And he can be just a potent in causing one to think!
Maybe but on the whole he doesn't want to talk about what he thinks, as such I think he's just punting his cause.
I agree! This is one of the most mature sites I've ever had the privilege of visiting. I don't necessarily mean the people in the forums but the Mod and any other administrative entities hat may visit. My hats off to them. It would seem that death threats are the only no-no and rightfully so! This is the kind of moderation I'd expect from a Philosophy site, IMHO. Mature despite the immaturity. Discussion can be heated. Yes this forum is a breath of fresh air, you can almost believe that you're really free.
I'm not sure what you mean by "you can almost believe that you're really free."? I look at the mods signature and think, hmm... but then I remember the old PNF motto.
It matters not, he deserves the same amount of indulgence you expect.
:lol: And that is exactly what he gets from me. Is this you indulging me?
Thanks. Hey I'm sorry I'm such a pain. It would seem that you and I are largely incompatible. I think it would be better if you stopped engaging me as some of your comments really piss me off and I'm afraid I'll berate you even more. I need to start exercising again.
Better for who?
:lol: If you think this berating on a philosophy forum. I think you put to much weight on exercise having much effect in this matter, but I agree that its always good for you, so have at it.
What my OS has is laughable. And these binocular glasses are no fun either.
Most have a magnifying application?
I'm Done with your misconception and lies.

Have a good one!
SpheresOfBalance

Arising_uk wrote:
<snip>

Yes I do assume money has a positive intention behind it...
A modern day human with money is exactly the same thing as a neanderthal with a wooden club, just a modern version; EXACTLY!

Mankind has not advanced in his understanding of life, only in his method of exploitation and the delusion found in his smokescreens!

<snip>
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

:lol: You don't think this post kinda defeats the previous one?
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Arising_uk wrote: <snip>

Yes I do assume money has a positive intention behind it...
A modern day human with money is exactly the same thing as a neanderthal with a wooden club, just a modern version; EXACTLY!

Mankind has not advanced in his understanding of life, only in his method of exploitation and the delusion found in his smokescreens!

<snip>
Not quite exactly as homo sapiens sapiens has domestication. Given that we think the neanderthal, homo erectus and homo sapiens pretty much wiped out the last of the dino line, how is it you think they survived to become 'we'? And what makes you think 'we' can't do the same? Especailly since we have domestication. Still, if you really want to worry, think of the Bees.
puto

Post by puto »

SpheresOfBalance take a class on Nietzsche, o.k. :?:
SpheresOfBalance

puto wrote:SpheresOfBalance take a class on Nietzsche, o.k. :?:
How about I'll just get a job one day, if I'm lucky, live the remainder of my life, and then die.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:How about I'll just get a job one day, if I'm lucky, live the remainder of my life, and then die.
Not sure about the job as I think it contingent upon things but philosophically its necessary that you will live the remainder of your life and pretty damm certain that you will die, not sure what luck has to do with it, unless you mean with a bit of luck you'll get a job and if so I wish you that luck, as I know an experience of unemployment.
SpheresOfBalance

Arising_uk wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:How about I'll just get a job one day, if I'm lucky, live the remainder of my life, and then die.
Not sure about the job as I think it contingent upon things but philosophically its necessary that you will live the remainder of your life and pretty damm certain that you will die, not sure what luck has to do with it, unless you mean with a bit of luck you'll get a job and if so I wish you that luck, as I know an experience of unemployment.
Your Empathy, Love and Compassion is why I love you. Your means of argument is why you frustrate me. The reason I loose control with you is because I loose control of me. Physical and mental exercise is the cure of my loosing control.

Happy Holidays, My friend!
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:Your Empathy, Love and Compassion is why I love you. Your means of argument is why you frustrate me. The reason I loose control with you is because I loose control of me. Physical and mental exercise is the cure of my loosing control.

What holidays?

My means of argument is mainly to ask questions until I understand what is being said, until I get this straight there can be no real argument. Why would questions frustrate you? Is it that I also state what I think about each and every sentence? The reason why you lose control is that you have no effective means of control or you mean to. This is mental exercise and you'd be pushed to find better. I agree with you and the Greeks, "Mens sana in corpore sano" but losing control may point to other intentions.
SpheresOfBalance

Arising_uk wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:Your Empathy, Love and Compassion is why I love you. Your means of argument is why you frustrate me. The reason I loose control with you is because I loose control of me. Physical and mental exercise is the cure of my loosing control.

What holidays?

What? You don't celebrate Thanksgiving? I don't know why, it was yours up until July 4th 1776. ;-)

My means of argument is mainly to ask questions until I understand what is being said, until I get this straight there can be no real argument. Why would questions frustrate you?
It told you, I can't see for crap and I can't type for crap, I spend hours verifying my data before posting in the interest of being accurate. I really get pissy when I get hit with a barrage of questions and false assumptions of my points, some of which I feel are either self evident or have already been covered. It becomes overwhelming. I prefer answering one liner's. OK, maybe two or thee wouldn't be so bad. I absolutely hate rehashing because I don't like spinning my wheels. One likes to feel like they're making some progress.

Is it that I also state what I think about each and every sentence? The reason why you lose control is that you have no effective means of control or you mean to.
I'm not talking about controlling your resolve. I'm talking about controlling your perception via my speech. I'm not trying to impress anyone with my vocab. With me it's about effective, emphatic articulation.

This is mental exercise and you'd be pushed to find better.
Pat yourself on the back, why don't you?

I agree with you and the Greeks, "Mens sana in corpore sano" but losing control may point to other intentions.
I'm glad you included 'may,' because from my perspective, 'intentions' is like 'way' not the right word. I would say, 'emotional manifestations.'

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:What? You don't celebrate Thanksgiving? I don't know why, it was yours up until July 4th 1776. ;-)
I doubt it was celebrated in England in 1775, a quaint colonial celebration I'd heard, something to do with thanking the Indians and 'god' or some such.
It told you, I can't see for crap and I can't type for crap, I spend hours verifying my data before posting in the interest of being accurate. I really get pissy when I get hit with a barrage of questions and false assumptions of my points, some of which I feel are either self evident or have already been covered. It becomes overwhelming. I prefer answering one liner's. OK, maybe two or thee wouldn't be so bad. I absolutely hate rehashing because I don't like spinning my wheels. One likes to feel like they're making some progress.
Don't be ridiculous! Take all the time you need to process this barrage that comes only in reply, if it appears to quick or ill thought out, be reassured I've spent a lot of time thinking about it. Rehashing is an aspect of memory.
I'm not talking about controlling your resolve. I'm talking about controlling your perception via my speech. I'm not trying to impress anyone with my vocab. With me it's about effective, emphatic articulation.
Then you ought to lose the idea that it has to be 'empathy', as this is a subjective term so far. When you say "controlling" my perception by your speech, what do you mean? As I might agree.
Pat yourself on the back, why don't you?
Not what I intended, I meant, writing comprehensively itself is one of the most mentally taxing and efficient mental exercises man has discovered. Doing it in a philosophy forum is a gym.
I'm glad you included 'may,' because from my perspective, 'intentions' is like 'way' not the right word. I would say, 'emotional manifestations.'
Manifestations of what?