Let's make philosophy fun.

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Let's make philosophy fun.

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:46 am Image
There is an advantage to mindless consumerism. When clinging to the anticipation/satisfaction cycle of retail therapy, one can realistically assess the cost/benefit of the activity and make a realistic assessment of its worth based on one's current self-concept, which a glut of mindless consumerism will eventually change either by necessity or by some higher authority that can override one's own enslaved judgement, such as the piper.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

"People of Athens, I do not have a foot fetish!" - Plato

-Imp
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:11 pm Image
At least he learned something. It's better than not learning at all.

Trying out my new "positivity" exercises.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:41 pm

"Positivity" by itself only works for idiots. Instead, have to be realistic first and then look on the bright side.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:28 pm
Depends on what you mean by 'lightbulb'
To change a Lightbulb is a pseudo-problem. Lightbulbs give off light. If the Lightbulb needed changing, it would not be giving off light, so it could not have been a Lightbulb. :lol:
Atla

Post by Atla »

Random crazy foil-hat philosophical-Astrological thing: I have the impression that the world went mad in the last few hundred years in a very strange way. Difficult to even put it into words, but there seems to be a loss of ability to differentiate between good and evil. The two somehow became one and the same thing. There is a convergence, or rather a non-difference between them. But maybe this is somehow not normal at all.

I mean this state of affairs is neither good nor bad. It's just weird on all levels.

So I spent a few days once, trying to figure out where all this originated. I used all my mighty knowledge of accepted and unaccepted things. Kept getting closer, first I localized it to England and had to review the history of England all the way back to the Vikings, then localized it to sometime in the 16-18th century, then to the Whigs, and finally localized the anomaly to this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Somers

Was the main figure of the first Whig Junto. Looks like he set the tone for the later British Empire, the Whigs of the 18th century looked up to him and his mentality as the example to be followed. But his mind was the mind of a Pisces with a natural convergence or non-difference between good and evil. What he caused was all unintentional, he was simply being himself and it worked perfectly.

This influence, mentality spread around the globe through the British Empire. (If there is an "Illuminati", it may have highjacked the British Empire in the 19th century, and doubled down on this mentality from then on, globally. But this time with malicious intent and intentionally. That's the problem with convergence, it can be misused.)

And that's a possible story why the world doesn't make sense now. :)
Last edited by Atla on Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:41 pm

Uncertainty is the only certainty there is, and knowing how to live with insecurity is the only security.

Certainty (also known as epistemic certainty or objective certainty) is the epistemic property of beliefs which a person has no rational grounds for doubting.

''I am sitting with a philosopher in the garden; he says again and again "I know that that's a tree", pointing to a tree that is near us. Someone else arrives and hears this, and I tell him: "This fellow isn't insane. We are only doing philosophy." Ludwig Wittgenstein

Ludwig Wittgenstein also seems to connect certainty with indubitability. He says that “If you tried to doubt everything you would not get as far as doubting anything.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:40 am
simplicity wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:28 pm
Instead of the need to constantly push your pleasure buttons, perhaps doing things because they will improve the overall quality of your life [and the lives of those around you] might be a path that will actually result in contentment [the best you can hope for as an adult].
Allow me to show you what CONTENTMENT means for me personally.

When the 'mind' drops into the heart, there is a stillness, “a warm tenderness of heart.”
It stands to reason, really: since the heart perceives through vibrational resonance, the emotional signature of this resonance is intimacy: a sense of kinship or belongingness with everything in a single coherent and compassionate whole. Intimacy is the heart’s innate vibrational field, its own signature way of knowing and being in the world.

The HEART is the species of intimacy.
“Pure intimacy… Objectless intimacy… Intimacy without something or someone attached to that intimacy…”

I must admit though (simplicity) It takes some digging to get there. There's GOLD in them there hills. :lol:
That's all very nice, but it's simply an intellectual attempt at understanding Reality...which is impossible.

If you wish to tap into the non-intellectual, then you must sacrifice your ego, your 'self.' There is no other way, so telling me what contentment means to you personally is not going to help. All of these words are simply pointing...the words are empty. Do you understand?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

simplicity wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:47 pm Do you understand?

I understand there is nothing to understand.

Now phil, the osopher tell me something I don't know.

Oh wait!
Atla

Post by Atla »

simplicity wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:47 pm That's all very nice, but it's simply an intellectual attempt at understanding Reality...which is impossible.

If you wish to tap into the non-intellectual, then you must sacrifice your ego, your 'self.' There is no other way, so telling me what contentment means to you personally is not going to help. All of these words are simply pointing...the words are empty. Do you understand?
Did you find any new major insights in the non-intellectual that can be expressed in language?
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Atla wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:08 pm
simplicity wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:47 pm That's all very nice, but it's simply an intellectual attempt at understanding Reality...which is impossible.

Did you find any new major insights in the non-intellectual that can be expressed in language?
Insights made from meditation practice are derived from seeing things as close to what they are as is possible [accounting for your built-in perceptual filters]. So everything you perceive is an insight, but it is normal to people who can keep a fairly clear mind.

Initially, many people might suggest that "understanding" that you cannot understand anything becomes quite apparent. This greatly aids in the constant needs to bring up the little voice in one's head to provide analysis. After a while, you just let it go and realize that life makes a great deal more sense and goes a hell of a lot better just allowing it all to come and go [without commentary].
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

simplicity wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:47 pmInstead of the need to constantly push your pleasure buttons, perhaps doing things because they will improve the overall quality of your life [and the lives of those around you] might be a path that will actually result in contentment [the best you can hope for as an adult].
simplicity wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:47 pmThat's all very nice, but it's simply an intellectual attempt at understanding Reality...which is impossible.

simplicity wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:47 pmInitially, many people might suggest that "understanding" that you cannot understand anything becomes quite apparent. This greatly aids in the constant needs to bring up the little voice in one's head to provide analysis. After a while, you just let it go and realize that life makes a great deal more sense and goes a hell of a lot better just allowing it all to come and go [without commentary].
OK, if you say so.
Atla

Post by Atla »

simplicity wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:18 pm
Atla wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:08 pm

Insights made from meditation practice are derived from seeing things as close to what they are as is possible [accounting for your built-in perceptual filters]. So everything you perceive is an insight, but it is normal to people who can keep a fairly clear mind.

Initially, many people might suggest that "understanding" that you cannot understand anything becomes quite apparent. This greatly aids in the constant needs to bring up the little voice in one's head to provide analysis. After a while, you just let it go and realize that life makes a great deal more sense and goes a hell of a lot better just allowing it all to come and go [without commentary].
Sure, but did you find any new major insights in the non-intellectual that can be expressed in language?