Exactly Where Am I?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Belinda

Re: Exactly Where Am I?

Post by Belinda »

Age wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:24 am
Belinda wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:11 pm
Harbal wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:45 pm
I presume that consciousness is created or enabled by the brain, and what it is conscious of is delivered to it via the brain. Beyond that, I wouldn't want to talk about its location in space. But when we say "I", or "me", we don't always mean the same thing. If you were to say, "I nearly got run over by a bus today", it wouldn't seem to be same "I" as if you were to say, "I was thinking about rainbows today", if you see what I mean. One "I" is a physical object, while the other "I" would seem to be immatereal. When you say "I", you could be referring to your shape and size, or you could be referring to your emotional feelings, and other people would understand what you meant by the context.
"I nearly got run over by a bus today", it wouldn't seem to be same "I" as if you were to say, "I was thinking about rainbows today", if you see what I mean. One "I" is a physical object, while the other "I" would seem to be immatereal.
Spinoza said they (the physical and the immatereal ) are two aspects of the same.
The same 'what', EXACTLY?

By the way, I have ALREADY answered what 'they' are the two aspects of EXACTLY, numerous times throughout this forum.
By "two aspects of the same" I might have said "two aspects of nature; the subjective and the objective, or the mental and the physical.
For instance brain (objective, physical) , and mind(subjective, mental) are two aspects of
brain-mind.

Post by Age »

Belinda wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:40 am
Belinda wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:11 pm

Spinoza said they (the physical and the immatereal ) are two aspects of the same.

By the way, I have ALREADY answered what 'they' are the two aspects of EXACTLY, numerous times throughout this forum.
By "two aspects of the same" I might have said "two aspects of nature; the subjective and the objective, or the mental and the physical.
For instance brain (objective, physical) , and mind(subjective, mental) are two aspects of
brain-mind.
You wrote;
"Spinoza said they (the physical and the immatereal ) are two aspects of the same."

So, once again, what are 'they' (the physical and the immatereal) two aspects 'of', EXACTLY?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Age wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:13 am

brain-mind.
You wrote;
"Spinoza said they (the physical and the immatereal ) are two aspects of the same."

So, once again, what are 'they' (the physical and the immatereal) two aspects 'of', EXACTLY?
Cosmos.

Post by Age »

Belinda wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:24 am

brain-mind.
You wrote;

Cosmos.
And what does the 'cosmos' word mean or refer to, to you, exactly?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Age wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:39 am

You wrote;

Cosmos.
Cosmos is tamed chaos.

Post by Age »

Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:46 am
Age wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:39 am

Cosmos.
Cosmos is tamed chaos.
So, "spinozza" was saying that the physical and the immatereal are two aspects of 'chaos', which was or has been 'tamed', correct?

Also, does 'immatereal' mean the same as 'immaterial'?

If no, then what does 'immatereal' mean or refer to, exactly?