"Feminism"?

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: "Feminism"?

Post by Arising_uk »

No-one wanted to move to a rich culture where the priests and pope ruled and they were killing their neighbours.
Skip

Post by Skip »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:22 am Aside: How did Ireland manage to escape becoming a 'glorious multicultural melting-pot', the likes of which we have all come to love and cherish so dearly?
Two reasons: They've been colonized for the last thousand years, rather than colonizing other countries.
and
It's a better tax-haven for fake head-offices than for actual industries with people working, so there is a continuous net loss of Irish to other places, where they contribute their rich culture and unique identity to the multicultural mosaic or England and America. They're a cherished and substantial presence in bot the US and Canada.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Arising_uk wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:41 am No-one wanted to move to a rich culture where the priests and pope ruled and they were killing their neighbours.
Unlike England that didn't kill anyone.
vegetariantaxidermy

Skip wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:13 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:22 am Aside: How did Ireland manage to escape becoming a 'glorious multicultural melting-pot', the likes of which we have all come to love and cherish so dearly?
Two reasons: They've been colonized for the last thousand years, rather than colonizing other countries.
and
:?
Skip

Post by Skip »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:04 am
Imperialists go and conquer other nations, which were doing more or less okay on their own. Once the imperialists are through - whether they leave because it gets too expensive to subdue the natives or because they've removed everything of value and have no more use for that colony - they leave their mess behind: confused governance, confused religion, confused beliefs and mores, confused economy, confused land-ownership, confused borders, confused hierarchy; large blocs of native population uprooted and displaced; the entire structure of the society disrupted. IOW, not a stable nation, so there's bound to be trouble.
Some of that native population has also been converted to the colonizer's language, legal system and ideology, so they are no longer at home at home; no longer have an function in their own society; often unsafe, because they're regarded as traitors.
And the colonizers have made that other country part of their own, to facilitate the movement of natural resources, trade goods, precious objects and cheap labour to the home country.
So they've created millions of citizens of the empire who can also move - not as freely as the colonizers, but there's a little gate next to the big one. They come as servants first, then as students, then as migrant workers, then as immigrants and finally as refugees.
Their presence, and the reaction of the colonizers to their presence, causes unease (at best); it adds colour and texture and interest to the fabric of the home country, but it also changes the relationships and destabilizes the social structure.
This happens to every empire.
Chickens got to roost somewhere.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Unlike England that didn't kill anyone.
Was I excusing the English? But you could go right back if you wish when the Irish were the feared slavers and reavers of the English.
vegetariantaxidermy

Arising_uk wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:07 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Unlike England that didn't kill anyone.
Was I excusing the English? But you could go right back if you wish when the Irish were the feared slavers and reavers of the English.
How far back is that?
vegetariantaxidermy

Skip wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:14 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:04 am
Imperialists go and conquer other nations, which were doing more or less okay on their own. Once the imperialists are through - whether they leave because it gets too expensive to subdue the natives or because they've removed everything of value and have no more use for that colony - they leave their mess behind: confused governance, confused religion, confused beliefs and mores, confused economy, confused land-ownership, confused borders, confused hierarchy; large blocs of native population uprooted and displaced; the entire structure of the society disrupted. IOW, not a stable nation, so there's bound to be trouble.
Some of that native population has also been converted to the colonizer's language, legal system and ideology, so they are no longer at home at home; no longer have an function in their own society; often unsafe, because they're regarded as traitors.
And the colonizers have made that other country part of their own, to facilitate the movement of natural resources, trade goods, precious objects and cheap labour to the home country.
So they've created millions of citizens of the empire who can also move - not as freely as the colonizers, but there's a little gate next to the big one. They come as servants first, then as students, then as migrant workers, then as immigrants and finally as refugees.
Their presence, and the reaction of the colonizers to their presence, causes unease (at best); it adds colour and texture and interest to the fabric of the home country, but it also changes the relationships and destabilizes the social structure.
This happens to every empire.
Chickens got to roost somewhere.
Sorry. You lost me at 'Imperialists'.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Okay. "Imperialists" is not allowed.

It's helpful to know what words are disallowed because one would not want to be politically incorrect, would one?
vegetariantaxidermy

Greta wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:24 am Okay. "Imperialists" is not allowed.

It's helpful to know what words are disallowed because one would not want to be politically incorrect, would one?
No. I was genuinely lost. I suppose 'genuine' is a new concept for you.
Greta

Post by Greta »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:29 am

So you do not understand the idea of "imperialists" in the context of Skip's post? It seemed obvious enough. Do you require us to keep words limited to no more than three syllables for you?

I am familiar with the concept of being genuine. Good to know that that word is allowed as it's becoming hard to know which words are on the banned list these days. No doubt someone as politically correct as yourself will let us know when we have crossed those special lines.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: How far back is that?
Why would it matter?
vegetariantaxidermy

Greta wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:41 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:29 am

So you do not understand the idea of "imperialists" in the context of Skip's post? It seemed obvious enough. Do you require us to keep words limited to no more than three syllables for you?

I am familiar with the concept of being genuine. Good to know that that word is allowed as it's becoming hard to know which words are on the banned list these days. No doubt someone as politically correct as yourself will let us know when we have crossed those special lines.
I suppose it would be 'hard' for someone with Aspergers (or was it autism?). It's hard to keep up with whatever form of insanity is flavour of the month these days. Oooops. Is it PC to say that?
vegetariantaxidermy

Arising_uk wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:27 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: How far back is that?
Why would it matter?
So. You don't want to answer then. I'm used to that.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

I just wondered why time would matter in a rich cultural history?