The tie that saved Rome. Do Western nations need a State Religion?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gustav Bjornstrand

Re: The tie that saved Rome. Do Western nations need a State Religion?

Post by Gustav Bjornstrand »

Hello there Hobbes. You misquoted me. I didn't write that.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:The crazy USA is Rome nonsense. History is more complex and never repeats itself.

No, Cincinnati is Rome, it has the seven hills of Rome, and it has the nickname of the Queen City, the origin of which I discovered, as confirmed by the Cincinnati Public Library, doing in 20 minutes what the rest of the world couldn't do in 170 years, finding a description of Cincinnati as a queen in words similar to the way Babylon and Rome were described in the book of Revelation. History, my friend, does repeat itself.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Greatest I am wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Gustav Bjornstrand wrote: Is creating a State Religion the way to peace?
It clear is his opinion but it there is plenty of historical examples where this is a silly thing to say.

From the early medieval period All Europe was untied under Christianity and there was not a single day of peace until 1918.
Secularism has shown some promising trends, but noting to write home about. And where the system has mirrored an overarching state religious system such as co-called Soviet Russia under Stalin the results have been internal peace but external war, exported to promote the quasi-religion of the Comintern.

A state religion demands obedience, that is where the problem starts. Without a reasonable opposition, any system demanding obedience, turns to tyranny. Secular democracy is the least worst system so far.
A state religion can only work such as in the UK where the power of the church is completely subordinated by the democratic process.
Which is basically what I propose.

I never proposed a theocracy, only that Western democracies rid themselves of the most immoral creeds the way some are doing by outlawing Islam.

Regards
DL
Who decides? You can't just ban whatever religion you please, without doing so for all.
Have you already forgotten your idea to model your utopia on Constantinian Rome?
It is highly unlikely to be able to model your utopia on the UK, which has achieved it state religious system through unique historical contingencies, and there is no where any moves to outlaw specific religions.
Who are "oulawing" Islam?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

bobevenson wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:The crazy USA is Rome nonsense. History is more complex and never repeats itself.

No, Cincinnati is Rome, it has the seven hills of Rome, and it has the nickname of the Queen City, the origin of which I discovered, as confirmed by the Cincinnati Public Library, doing in 20 minutes what the rest of the world couldn't do in 170 years, finding a description of Cincinnati as a queen in words similar to the way Babylon and Rome were described in the book of Revelation. History, my friend, does repeat itself.
Fuckoff dingbat.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Greatest I am wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Greatest I am wrote: You should do something about your Tourette syndrome.

Regards
DL
I'll that that as you conceding to my greater knowledge of history.
I think we've had this out before; your crazy USA is Rome nonsense.
History is more complex and never repeats itself.
Yet Washington used to be called Rome.

Regards
DL
So is cincinnati so what?
And Rome was called New Troy.
So what- don't mean shit.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
bobevenson wrote:

Fuckoff dingbat.
If a limey weren't one, he could think of a British term instead of an American one.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

bobevenson wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
bobevenson wrote:
Fuckoff dingbat.
If a limey weren't one, he could think of a British term instead of an American one.
An amusing insult 'limey": idiot Americans denigrating the science of the British that allowed each sailor a lime ration to successfully stave off scurvy vitamin C deficiency whilst American sailors lost their teeth and hair.
However, i'm not even British.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
It clear is his opinion but it there is plenty of historical examples where this is a silly thing to say.

From the early medieval period All Europe was untied under Christianity and there was not a single day of peace until 1918.
Secularism has shown some promising trends, but noting to write home about. And where the system has mirrored an overarching state religious system such as co-called Soviet Russia under Stalin the results have been internal peace but external war, exported to promote the quasi-religion of the Comintern.

A state religion demands obedience, that is where the problem starts. Without a reasonable opposition, any system demanding obedience, turns to tyranny. Secular democracy is the least worst system so far.
A state religion can only work such as in the UK where the power of the church is completely subordinated by the democratic process.
Which is basically what I propose.

I never proposed a theocracy, only that Western democracies rid themselves of the most immoral creeds the way some are doing by outlawing Islam.

Regards
DL
Who decides? You can't just ban whatever religion you please, without doing so for all.
Have you already forgotten your idea to model your utopia on Constantinian Rome?
It is highly unlikely to be able to model your utopia on the UK, which has achieved it state religious system through unique historical contingencies, and there is no where any moves to outlaw specific religions.
Who are "oulawing" Islam?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO9m6OstwNo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpa6V8os-f0

Quite a few other countries have banned some of the garb that misogynous Muslim men force their wives to wear.

Regards
DL
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Greatest I am wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO9m6OstwNo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpa6V8os-f0

Quite a few other countries have banned some of the garb that misogynous Muslim men force their wives to wear.

Regards
DL
Arabian garb is not mandated by Islam, but by cultural association.
The unsustainable banning of the burkha by France is absurd, and contradictory.
As for Angola- Are you have a fucking laugh? Angola has been in continual strife since the mid 1970s, I'd not recommend anything they do, nor suggest what they do as any kind of model.

Here are two reasons why the ban is absurd, two not banned costumes.
Last edited by Hobbes' Choice on Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
bobevenson wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Fuckoff dingbat.
I'm not even British.
Oh, really, what the fuck are you?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

bobevenson wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
bobevenson wrote: If a limey weren't one, he could think of a British term instead of an American one.
I'm not even British.
Oh, really, what the fuck are you?
I have the distinction of being a human being, and having the benefits of qualities you have long abandoned or never had.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:[

]
Really?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Mecc ... chool_fire

Regards
DL
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Greatest I am wrote:

]
Really?

Regards
DL
Yes really. You'll need to find out where in the Koran is states that covering the whole body is part of the religion.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:

]
Really?

Regards
DL
Yes really. You'll need to find out where in the Koran is states that covering the whole body is part of the religion.
You are correct that it was not meant to be, but Islam has been corrupted and their misogynous men decided that it was a good way to subjugate women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... RdLpOxwJ3g

Regards
DL
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Greatest I am wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:
Really?

Regards
DL
You are correct that it was not meant to be, but Islam has been corrupted and their misogynous men decided that it was a good way to subjugate women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... RdLpOxwJ3g

Regards
DL
Women are able to choose that dress in France, as they are able to choose to give up their lives to be nuns.
The law is stupid.