Insult competition.

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

kriswest

Re: Insult competition.

Post by kriswest »

thedoc wrote:
kriswest wrote:Do discussions normally get totally deleted around here? What happened to all the discussions that were here?

Yes, it's happened before. Moderation without excuse or explanation, one of the mod's didn't like something.
The whole damn forum? I can see a thread or two but , what can cause such a loose cannon action? Pretty rude as well.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

kriswest wrote:
thedoc wrote:
kriswest wrote:Do discussions normally get totally deleted around here? What happened to all the discussions that were here?
Yes, it's happened before. Moderation without excuse or explanation, one of the mod's didn't like something.
The whole damn forum? I can see a thread or two but , what can cause such a loose cannon action? Pretty rude as well.
I'm not sure if they wiped a whole forum before, but they did wipe out a thread that I had started, and I thought was going very nicely. When I complained they let me know, in no uncertain terms, that it was their decision, and mere members had no say in it.

PS, don't be surprised if this post disappears.

And your's, as you are challenging the authority of the Mod's.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Accusing people of trivial political correctness has become very fashionable nowadays but it is often just a smokescreen for unvarnished bigotry. Donald Trump is an obvious example because in his transparent guise of "telling it like it is" all he's actually doing is reinforcing the deeply ingrained prejudices of those who support his views. The ones who say "I'm not a racist, BUT...." or "I'm not a sexist, BUT"...

Having said that I agree that there is such a thing as trivial political correctness which demeans many principles of liberalism. If I'm to be branded as a male chauvinist pig then so be it because I'm never going to call women wopeople and I'm never going to call a manhole a personnel access way.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Ten to one the Steven Harper's Conservatives threatened to sue because I mentioned him in an unflattering manner. He did that on the CBC. Election year, you know.

I was wondering why my post count went down by over 200.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Dalek. You ought to try posting on a physics forum if you're not a member of the priesthood and you've forgotten the secret handshake. The absolutely inflexible rigidity with which physics is willing to defend its canonical doctrines has to be seen to be believed. Furthermore the hubris of this stance is breathtaking because the models they're defending make not the slightest lick of sense and they fucking well know it.

What happened to all the absurdists in the world who would know how to handle this tragic story? Where is M. Voltaire or M. Camus? Why did Kurt Vonnegut and Douglas Adams die?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Obvious Leo wrote:Dalek. You ought to try posting on a physics forum if you're not a member of the priesthood and you've forgotten the secret handshake. The absolutely inflexible rigidity with which physics is willing to defend its canonical doctrines has to be seen to be believed. Furthermore the hubris of this stance is breathtaking because the models they're defending make not the slightest lick of sense and they fucking well know it.

What happened to all the absurdists in the world who would know how to handle this tragic story? Where is M. Voltaire or M. Camus? Why did Kurt Vonnegut and Douglas Adams die?
Their works live on in us true believers, Leo. No worries. :wink:
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Obvious Leo wrote:Accusing people of trivial political correctness has become very fashionable nowadays but it is often just a smokescreen for unvarnished bigotry. Donald Trump is an obvious example because in his transparent guise of "telling it like it is" all he's actually doing is reinforcing the deeply ingrained prejudices of those who support his views. The ones who say "I'm not a racist, BUT...." or "I'm not a sexist, BUT"...

Having said that I agree that there is such a thing as trivial political correctness which demeans many principles of liberalism. If I'm to be branded as a male chauvinist pig then so be it because I'm never going to call women wopeople and I'm never going to call a manhole a personnel access way.
'Political correctness' has nothing to do with being liberal or not. It's about going along with the mob and not going against the fashionable way of 'thinking' at the time. It would have been 'politically incorrect' (and extremely dangerous) to stick up for jews, for example, in Nazi Germany. It stifles free speech because it makes it very difficult to voice an opinion if that opinion goes against whatever ideology is in vogue at the time. You aren't allowed to object when your country is being taken over by an alien culture because that would be 'hate speech' (an excellent way to silence dissenters). It's perfectly acceptable to go to war to stop a foreign culture from taking over, but voice an opinion when the foreign culture is invited to do this by whichever moron is in power and all hell breaks loose.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Now you've done it VT. You've let the genie out of the bottle and started me off on cultural hegemony. Some people deny that there is such a thing as an Australian culture to safeguard but I dispute this passionately and often. In fact I made a bit of a goose of myself in the pub a few weeks ago when I was proven wrong in an argument about the Kardashians. I could have sworn they were a mountain range in Central Asia.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Obvious Leo wrote:Now you've done it VT. You've let the genie out of the bottle and started me off on cultural hegemony. Some people deny that there is such a thing as an Australian culture to safeguard but I dispute this passionately and often. In fact I made a bit of a goose of myself in the pub a few weeks ago when I was proven wrong in an argument about the Kardashians. I could have sworn they were a mountain range in Central Asia.

Ha ha ha ha, those Caucasians.

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Obvious Leo wrote:Now you've done it VT. You've let the genie out of the bottle and started me off on cultural hegemony. Some people deny that there is such a thing as an Australian culture to safeguard but I dispute this passionately and often. In fact I made a bit of a goose of myself in the pub a few weeks ago when I was proven wrong in an argument about the Kardashians. I could have sworn they were a mountain range in Central Asia.
There is certainly an Australian culture, an Australian mind-set. When you think of the US and Canada, are they the same? I don't think so. Australians are quite different from even their closest neighbours, New Zealanders. What about the English, are they the same as the French? Hardly. Those fools are so stifled by political correctness that they have allowed a completely alien mind-set and culture to pretty much take over --islam. Serves them right if they end up with Sharia law. Then again, they aren't allowed to complain about it, because they will be charged with 'hate speech'.
A certain amount of immigration is fine, but not when the foreign culture ends up out-numbering the mother culture. That's not fair. I don't see Japan or China allowing it in their countries.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Australians are quite different from even their closest neighbours, New Zealanders.
Absolutely true and I know whereof I speak because I've lived roughly equal proportions of my life in each country. We have much in common but there are also profound and distinct cultural differences which both countries are very anxious to maintain. So they bloody well should, in my opinion.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: What about the English, are they the same as the French?
They're not even the same as each other, VT. The cultural mindset of a Yorkshireman is as different from the cultural mindset of an east London Cockney as an Indian is from a Zulu. They may as well hail from different planets.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Amazing. Someone starts a thread specifically dedicated to insults and others use it ror a civilised conversation. It's not much of an insult, salt and pepper it with whatever offends, but you're a contrary bunch.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

uwot wrote:Amazing. Someone starts a thread specifically dedicated to insults and others use it ror a civilised conversation. It's not much of an insult, salt and pepper it with whatever offends, but you're a contrary bunch.
You might regard it as correcting an imbalance, uwot. Many threads start out as attempts at civilised conversation but then degenerate into childish name-calling tirades. Particularly if HexHammer turns up, because he's nothing but a brainless illiterate troglodyte with the manners of a pig. ( is that more like what you were expecting?)
uwot

Post by uwot »

Well, it's better, Obvious Leo; but I don't see why you feel it necessary to insult pigs.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Some of my best friends are pigs, uwot, and they will forgive me my metaphor.