Roe v Wade Overturned?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Immanuel Can

Re: Roe v Wade Overturned?

Post by Immanuel Can »

Walker wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:59 am So, the 70% is caused by answering the question of when abortion should take place, rather than if it should take place at all.
Yes, that's what I had remembered. The 70% think there should be *some* restriction on abortion, as to time, especially. Only about 30% think abortion should be available up to (and including) the moment of birth.

But why should that be? If the fetus is "not a person" so long as she is in utero, then every single aborter should be fine with abortion at any time, for any reason. But even they are not.

In any case, I'm still curious about commonsense's claim that 70% oppose the vacating of R v. W. -- which is a jurisdictional decision, not a decision about the legality of abortion per se.

If it were about abortion, then abortion would have been banned instantly in Cali and New York, not just made less available in Texas or Arkansas, pending the decisions in those states.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:07 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:27 am Of course, a majority can also be wrong about something. It wouldn't be the first time.
Yes, but in this case, it woudn't be material.

This isn't about the popularity or lack thereof of abortion. The Supreme Court's decision is only about jurisdiction. In theory, all states in the Union could legislate free abortions and infanticides for everyone. The fact that probably won't happen, whether one likes that fact or not, has nothing to do with this decision. It contains no ruling about abortion per se; only about jurisdiction.

Now, clearly, the public lacks the information to know what is constitutionally legal and what is not. They are not legal experts, or even lawyers. That is why jurisdictional determinations are made by the highest legal experts, the Supreme Court. Whether abortion itself should be a matter of public opinions is also obviously absurd; you can't murder people by opinion poll, or even decide who can be murdered and who can't, on the basis of popularity. That's immoral.

But whether or not it is, that has nothing to do with the Supreme Court's ruling, which is not on the matter of abortion itself, but on who has jurisdiction in matters LIKE abortion.
I was under the impression initially that you were concerned with a statistic that showed the majority of Americans were against the reversal of the R v. W. decision. It seems that perhaps the majority of Americans may be, however, it seems now that you are simply refuting the 70% figure. I apologize for my misunderstanding.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:19 am So it appears that there will probably be far fewer abortions in the US than before. I'm wondering if that will lead to more care and use of contraceptives
I doubt that anybody neglects to use a condom because they find it more convenient to pop out and have an abortion later instead. :roll:
Last edited by Harbal on Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Harbal wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:20 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:19 am So it appears that there will probably be far fewer abortions in the US than before. I'm wondering if that will lead to more care and use of contraceptives
I doubt that anybody neglects to use a condom because they find it more convenient to pop out and have an abortion later, instead. :roll:
I wouldn't think so. So I suppose it's overpopulation, like it or not, here we come.

BTW: Welcome back, Harbal. Haven't seen you post in a while.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:52 pm BTW: Welcome back, Harbal. Haven't seen you post in a while.
Thanks, Gary. :)
Flannel Jesus

Re: Abortion Overturned?

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:43 pm
Walker wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:31 pm Less convenience results in increased mindfulness, and increased mindfulness results in an accurate perspective regarding cause and effect. As a result, the hassle of getting an abortion will likely cause fewer pregnancies.
Your perspective on cause and effect is so skewed you think drinking water isn't supposed to cause dysentery.

Maybe we should start shitting in the water supply to recalibrate your perspective?
This made me laugh really hard. Thank you.
Harbal

Re: Abortion Overturned?

Post by Harbal »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:39 pmThis made me laugh really hard.
So an example of cause and effect then.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:20 pm
I doubt that anybody neglects to use a condom because they find it more convenient to pop out and have an abortion later instead. :roll:
Well, maybe not quite like that, but 99% of abortions are the elective kind. So somebody's not bothering to use a condom/ pill / diaphragm / restraint / good judgment.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:17 pm Well, maybe not quite like that, but 99% of abortions are the elective kind. So somebody's not bothering to use a condom/ pill / diaphragm / restraint / good judgment.
Human beings, they will insist on being human, what's to be done with them?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Harbal wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:26 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:17 pm Well, maybe not quite like that, but 99% of abortions are the elective kind. So somebody's not bothering to use a condom/ pill / diaphragm / restraint / good judgment.
Leave 'em be...they'll rise or fall as they will.

How goes it, guy? It's been a while.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:26 pm
By me? Nothing.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:29 pm How goes it, guy? It's been a while.
It's going okay, henry, is all well with you?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:45 pm By me? Nothing.
Yes, let head office deal with it.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Harbal wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:46 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:29 pm How goes it, guy? It's been a while.
It's going okay, henry, is all well with you?
Fair to middlin'.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:58 am
commonsense wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:43 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:13 pm
I just want your source.

It seems a simple request....if you have one... :?
I vaguely remember seeing a graphic on CNN, but it was your reference to 70% who are in favor of some restrictions that struck me.
So you extrapolated that 70%, miraculously the same number, oppose R v. W. being overturned? But you didn't have any reason to think it was true?
Sort of. I thought 70% was the number of people who approved of SOME restrictions as opposed to a complete ban, which could be enacted by any State now that Roe is not the law of the land. So I thought that anyone who approves of only some restrictions would disapprove of the overturn because it permits total bans. I now see the error of my ways.