Can we possibly agree on any of these points?

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

prof

Re: Can we possibly agree on any of these points?

Post by prof »

It's good to be skeptical; yet often skepticism is an evasion of seeking solutions to unavoidable problems. Just throwing up one's hands is no solution. It is an acquiescence, a way to dodge the hard work of reflecting on moral reasoning.

Anthony Kennedy, a teacher, a law professor, a jurist now serving on the Supreme Court of the United States, observed: "Moral relativism leads to skepticism, which often results in cynicism -- which is corrosive" of the highest and most noble values.

What are some of those high values, the Intrinsic values? Permit me to list a few:

Life, love, integrity, authenticity, individuality, beauty, unity, truth, community, liberty, solidarity, moral courage, responsibility, reality, etc.

According to the new perspective, axiogenics, if we go in this direction, toward the Intrinsic values, we will gain the most out of life. Why not maximize the value in life? Why settle for anything less?

It seems that moral philosophy, where it intersects with brain neurology, has given birth to something important, namely, this new perspective.

A Quality Life, a QL, is what enables us to get along well, to function, to flourish as human beings flourish -- namely, to be happy and to be ethical (morally good.) This is true success. To be morally good is to be in a state of balance, a state between overdoing and underdoing; and also, in certain specific areas, between over-valuing and under-valuing.

:idea: And, according to Philippa Foot, of Oxford: You should do what you have reasons to do; rationality has a close relationship with morality.

I agree with her view that when an individual commits a vice (has a vice) - say, for example, rudeness , that individual has a defect in his/her nature. Just as an owl that cannot see well in the dark has a defect, so too a human being who contributes to the evil in this world. To her, according to an interview that appeared in Philosophy Now, ethical shortcomings are comparable to the lack of 32 teeth in a person's mouth. ...they are a defect in one's nature. 8)

Comments? Questions?

:) Let's hear from someone else for a change....
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

prof wrote:It's good to be skeptical; yet often skepticism is an evasion of seeking solutions to unavoidable problems. Just throwing up one's hands is no solution. It is an acquiescence, a way to dodge the hard work of reflecting on moral reasoning.

Anthony Kennedy, a teacher, a law professor, a jurist now serving on the Supreme Court of the United States, observed: "Moral relativism leads to skepticism, which often results in cynicism -- which is corrosive" of the highest and most noble values.

What are some of those high values, the Intrinsic values? Permit me to list a few:

Life, love, integrity, authenticity, individuality, beauty, unity, truth, community, liberty, solidarity, moral courage, responsibility, reality, etc.

According to the new perspective, axiogenics, if we go in this direction, toward the Intrinsic values, we will gain the most out of life. Why not maximize the value in life? Why settle for anything less?

It seems that moral philosophy, where it intersects with brain neurology, has given birth to something important, namely, this new perspective.

A Quality Life, a QL, is what enables us to get along well, to function, to flourish as human beings flourish -- namely, to be happy and to be ethical (morally good.) This is true success. To be morally good is to be in a state of balance, a state between overdoing and underdoing; and also, in certain specific areas, between over-valuing and under-valuing.

:idea: And, according to Philippa Foot, of Oxford: You should do what you have reasons to do; rationality has a close relationship with morality.

I agree with her view that when an individual commits a vice (has a vice) - say, for example, rudeness , that individual has a defect in his/her nature. Just as an owl that cannot see well in the dark has a defect, so too a human being who contributes to the evil in this world. To her, according to an interview that appeared in Philosophy Now, ethical shortcomings are comparable to the lack of 32 teeth in a person's mouth. ...they are a defect in one's nature. 8)

Comments? Questions?

:) Let's hear from someone else for a change....
No value is intrinsic, except in relativistic terms in which parameters are agreed upon. In fact such a word is meaningless unless there is also a nominal value to the thing you are talking about.
For example if a coin says $1 on it, the intrinsic value is the market value of the cupro-nickle of which it is made.
How you can apply such a word to Love shows your lack of understanding of Love and "intrinsic".
prof

Post by prof »

To Whom It May Concern:

As you recall, I have defined the term "Intrinsic Value" in my earlier posts here at the Forum and in my writings, links to which are offered below.
I define it in terms of the meta-ethics, which is Formal Axiology; the definition is based on its richness of value, as compared with other values on the value spectrum, i.e., as compared with the two other values: Systemic and Extrinsic. When one Intrinsically values, one is intensely focusing, getting involved, starting to identify with, and even to bond with, what one is valuing (prizing, assessing, preferring, rating.)

To learn more on ethical topics, check out these references. They are all safe to open PDF files:

Be sure to make note of the insights in the paper,LIVING THE GOOD LIFE. It is easier reading than some of the other selections. This booklet is as relevant today as is was when first written, in 2007. You may especially enjoy its cartoons. Links to the PDF file is here:
http://wadeharvey.myqol.com/wadeharvey/ ... _Lifef.pdf

For the booklet A UNIFIED THEORY OF ETHICS, use this link: http://tinyurl.com/27pzhbf
Written in dialogue form, it depicts moral philosophers sitting around a table with the task of constructing a theory of ethics which is better than anything seen before. This booklet is the first of four parts. The other three parts are the following:

For the booklet ETHICAL ADVENTURES
http://tinyurl.com/38zfrh7

For the essay, ETHICAL EXPLORATIONS
http://tinyurl.com/22ohd2x

For the paper ASPECTS OF ETHICS
http://tinyurl.com/36u6gpo