Book reviews

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

amateurphilosophynerd

Post by amateurphilosophynerd »

Rortabend wrote:
learning to write crap academic book reviews is next project.
Thanks for the ringing endorsement!
To clarify
MY WRITING OF ACADEMIC BOOK REVIEWS IS CRAP not the books I read, hopefully the books I read with fixed income benefits are good. In fact not hopefully- I only buy the best, I believe I have Philosophy books of the very highest qaulity even if I struggle with what I read like unjust theories of justice because -I am struggling to learn philosophy as a new self taught discipline-that is-until or if I EVER can be ready properly prepared and happy to re-enter University and please God go the whole hog right up to learning to be like my Alma mater.
As I said to Rortabend before I hold academics in the highest of esteem even if I want at times to scream out my frustration at badly written texts, particular perspectives and as far as limited resources allow- appraising the research base of the various Academic Institutions for urgent needs of my own which at best feel oxymoronic, not youthful aggh, and my projects feel futile and senseless- even though I absolutely wish to pursue a THEORETICAL dimension to my increasingly ugly senseless life that somehow people in my life see as making contribution** a key thing.
amateurphilosophynerd

Rortabend wrote:APN,

You've completely lost me I'm afraid.
My book reviews of Academic books would be crap because I struggle to write them and I have seen instances of first class reviews in academic journals to set the standard.
amateurphilosophynerd

Re: ATTENTION: RICK LEWIS

tbieter wrote:I'm definitely interested in your proposal. Maybe Rick Lewis will add a topic section called "Members' Book Reviews"
This is a good idea I support it but I lack confidence in reviewing books myself. Although I read books, qaulity books and do review them even if its one or two lines.
amateurphilosophynerd

Re: I think the WORLD of academic book reviews

amateurphilosophynerd wrote:They are my model for How to Do it just need the Knowledge of My Discipline/s to go with it; otherwise it is shamelessly independent, anarchic trips on line to the academic stratsophere and see what I can get mits on in terms of book recomendations, research papers (qaulity is all important and how do i judge it??!!), actual books themselves, value of actual books themselves, inject more than a hefty bit of Blue Skies Thinking into me (!!!!) and any educational resources OF QAULITY that I can get my hands on.!!!
Barstard Pedagogy for beginners. No doubt all the numerous Servers I have been on will shut out their resources to me. Isn't independent thinking to be cherished even if that thinking needs training learning etc??probably not!
amateurphilosophynerd

MEMBERS Book Reviews for PN might be a very good idea. Anything to incentivised one is a good idea. I guess folks might feel very pleased with themselves especially if they were amateur, lay etc.
amateurphilosophynerd

Re: Book reviews

Whether I love a book or authorial point of view or hate it I guess a Review is in order. *imagines laying into some crappy stuff* but I have the highest regard for Academics Reviews if I am able to get hold of them as well as the high points of literary culture in the Broadsheets.