Fun with logic, Peano and Constructivism!

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Re: Fun with logic, Peano and Constructivism!

Post by bahman »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:22 am
bahman wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:46 pm Free decision is different. You need to get ride of all constraints yet be able to decide.
Different how? Even humans are constrained in their decision-making.
Human is constrained by options. He however is to choose an option freely. We need the freedom to decide when the options are equally liked. You are free to decide because things are indifferent to you.
Skepdick wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:22 am In fact - unconstrained decision-making is impossible. Even you can't enumerate a set of infinite options, let alone choose from such a set.
You are fully aware when you make a decision.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

bahman wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:37 pm Human is constrained by options. He however is to choose an option freely.
You can't explain what the word "freely" means....
bahman wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:37 pm We need the freedom to decide when the options are equally liked. You are free to decide because things are indifferent to you.
How do you decide between "equally liked options" except rolling a dice? e.g random choice - entropy.
bahman wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:37 pm You are fully aware when you make a decision.
So is the algorithm - it's aware of all the possible options.

What you are talking about has a name in computer science: control flow.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Skepdick wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:24 am
bahman wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:37 pm Human is constrained by options. He however is to choose an option freely.
You can't explain what the word "freely" means....
I did. It is when you minimally like options equally. Or even when you go for the option you don't want for no reason.
bahman wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:37 pm We need the freedom to decide when the options are equally liked. You are free to decide because things are indifferent to you.
How do you decide between "equally liked options" except rolling a dice? e.g random choice - entropy.
I just do it. It looks random from third perspective but not from the first perspective.
bahman wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:37 pm You are fully aware when you make a decision.
So is the algorithm - it's aware of all the possible options.

What you are talking about has a name in computer science: control flow.
Everything is conscious. Consciousness is needed for any change. I however don't think that computer is conscious like us.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

bahman wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:28 pm I did. It is when you minimally like options equally. Or even when you go for the option you don't want for no reason.
This is incoherent.

To like all options equally is the same as to like all options at the same level of minimality.
If you "go for the option you don't want" it means you want the other option even less.
bahman wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:28 pm I just do it. It looks random from third perspective but not from the first perspective.
Non-deterministic algorithms are all about 1st person perspectives. From the POV of the algorithm the choice is random.

"Just pick any one". It seems that's exactly what you are doing.
bahman wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:28 pm Everything is conscious. Consciousness is needed for any change. I however don't think that computer is conscious like us.
You are just tripping up over the discretisation.

Either infinitesimals have a lower bound in which case there is finitely many of them between 0 and 1.
Or they don't have a lower bound in which case there's infinitely many of them between 0 and 1.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Skepdick wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:26 pm
bahman wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:28 pm I did. It is when you minimally like options equally. Or even when you go for the option you don't want for no reason.
This is incoherent.
Yes, it is. But we can do it. That is why we are different from machines.
Skepdick wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:26 pm To like all options equally is the same as to like all options at the same level of minimality.
If you "go for the option you don't want" it means you want the other option even less.
No, it doesn't mean that.
bahman wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:28 pm I just do it. It looks random from third perspective but not from the first perspective.
Non-deterministic algorithms are all about 1st person perspectives. From the POV of the algorithm the choice is random.
Free decision is not non-deterministic algorithm.
Skepdick wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:26 pm "Just pick any one". It seems that's exactly what you are doing.
You pick up the one you decide.
bahman wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:28 pm Everything is conscious. Consciousness is needed for any change. I however don't think that computer is conscious like us.
You are just tripping up over the discretisation.

Either infinitesimals have a lower bound in which case there is finitely many of them between 0 and 1.
Or they don't have a lower bound in which case there's infinitely many of them between 0 and 1.
Things has absolute length therefore there is a lower bound so called infinitesimal. The length L by definition contains L infinitesimals.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

bahman wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:50 pm Yes, it is. But we can do it. That is why we are different from machines.
You can't explain how you do it - you are no different to a machine.
bahman wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:50 pm No, it doesn't mean that.
Then what does it mean?
bahman wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:50 pm Free decision is not non-deterministic algorithm.
Then what is it?
bahman wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:50 pm You pick up the one you decide.
Which one did you decide and how?
bahman wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:50 pm Things has absolute length therefore there is a lower bound so called infinitesimal. The length L by definition contains L infinitesimals.
This is circular. How do you measure length? What is your unit?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Skepdick wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:01 am
bahman wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:50 pm Yes, it is. But we can do it. That is why we are different from machines.
You can't explain how you do it - you are no different to a machine.
I am able to stop to write you whenever I want in spite of wanting to write you. Machine just follow a chain of causality. Mind can break and create a chain of causality whenever it wants. Like stop writing.
bahman wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:50 pm No, it doesn't mean that.
Then what does it mean?
You can like an option more yet pick out another option just because you want.
bahman wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:50 pm Free decision is not non-deterministic algorithm.
Then what is it?
The one that you cannot write an algorithm for it.
bahman wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:50 pm You pick up the one you decide.
Which one did you decide and how?
The point is that a machine can resolve a problem in a point that there is a equal conflict of interest. A mind can.
bahman wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:50 pm Things has absolute length therefore there is a lower bound so called infinitesimal. The length L by definition contains L infinitesimals.
This is circular.
It is not.
Skepdick wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:01 am How do you measure length?
Everything has an absolute length. That is why we can measure them. We use a good constant to assign a standard length to things.
Skepdick wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:01 am What is your unit?
The true unit is infinitesimal. We don't have access to it so we use other thing which are made of infinitesimal.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:14 pm I am able to stop to write you whenever I want in spite of wanting to write you. Machine just follow a chain of causality. Mind can break and create a chain of causality whenever it wants. Like stop writing.
So can a machine.

NOP
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:14 pm You can like an option more yet pick out another option just because you want.
You mean you can choose the least preferred option? Sure!

An algorithm can do that. You can program your choice-function either way.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:14 pm The one that you cannot write an algorithm for it.
You haven't given me any procedure for which i can't write an algorithm yet.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:14 pm The point is that a machine can resolve a problem in a point that there is a equal conflict of interest. A mind can.
The way I resolve my own conflicts is by flipping a coin.

Here's a bunch of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlock_ ... algorithms]Deadlock prevention algorithms.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:14 pm It is not.
Yeah. it is. It's no different to the Integers.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:14 pm Everything has an absolute length. That is why we can measure them. We use a good constant to assign a standard length to things.
OK, but the length is always divisible by 2. Hence your problem.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:14 pm The true unit is infinitesimal. We don't have access to it so we use other thing which are made of infinitesimal.
So the Integer 1. Which is indivisible by 2 (if the division is to be closed).
bahman

Post by bahman »

Skepdick wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:48 pm
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:14 pm I am able to stop to write you whenever I want in spite of wanting to write you. Machine just follow a chain of causality. Mind can break and create a chain of causality whenever it wants. Like stop writing.
So can a machine.

NOP
No. I don't use an algorithm when I want to stop a chain of causality or create one.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:14 pm You can like an option more yet pick out another option just because you want.
You mean you can choose the least preferred option? Sure!

An algorithm can do that. You can program your choice-function either way.
Yes, but not freely.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:14 pm The one that you cannot write an algorithm for it.
You haven't given me any procedure for which i can't write an algorithm yet.
You don't use any algorithm when you decide freely. Do you? That is the very meaning of freedom.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:14 pm The point is that a machine can resolve a problem in a point that there is a equal conflict of interest. A mind can.
The way I resolve my own conflicts is by flipping a coin.

Here's a bunch of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlock_ ... algorithms]Deadlock prevention algorithms.
Yes, but you can resolve that issue without flipping a coin too. You simply decide.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:14 pm It is not.
Yeah. it is. It's no different to the Integers.
Integers don't have any absolute length.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:14 pm Everything has an absolute length. That is why we can measure them. We use a good constant to assign a standard length to things.
OK, but the length is always divisible by 2. Hence your problem.
You cannot divide infinitesimal to two.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:14 pm The true unit is infinitesimal. We don't have access to it so we use other thing which are made of infinitesimal.
So the Integer 1. Which is indivisible by 2 (if the division is to be closed).
Infinitesimal has a absolute length. Integer is mathematical construct.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:47 pm No. I don't use an algorithm when I want to stop a chain of causality or create one.
Then what do you use?
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:47 pm Yes, but not freely.
It's as "freely" as you are doing it. That's why it's non-deterministic to the programmer.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:47 pm You don't use any algorithm when you decide freely. Do you? That is the very meaning of freedom.
Of course I do. I choose the thing which maximises my utility, whatever that may be given my utility function.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:47 pm Yes, but you can resolve that issue without flipping a coin too. You simply decide.
In the cases where I can decide - I decide.
In the cases where I can't decide - I flip a coin.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:47 pm Integers don't have any absolute length.
The "absolute length" of the 1st integer is 1 - its distance from 0.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:47 pm You cannot divide infinitesimal to two.

Exactly. Dividing 1 by 2 is open, not closed e.g the answer is not in the domain of the integers.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Skepdick wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:58 pm
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:47 pm No. I don't use an algorithm when I want to stop a chain of causality or create one.
Then what do you use?
I use my mind.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:47 pm Yes, but not freely.
It's as "freely" as you are doing it. That's why it's non-deterministic to the programmer.
Non-deterministic means that you cannot anticipate it. Free decision is non-deterministic. It is also free.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:47 pm You don't use any algorithm when you decide freely. Do you? That is the very meaning of freedom.
Of course I do. I choose the thing which maximises my utility, whatever that may be given my utility function.
Yes, we all use maximum utility when we follow a chain of causality. We however are free not to use it.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:47 pm Yes, but you can resolve that issue without flipping a coin too. You simply decide.
In the cases where I can decide - I decide.
In the cases where I can't decide - I flip a coin.
You can always decide.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:47 pm Integers don't have any absolute length.
The "absolute length" of the 1st integer is 1 - its distance from 0.
In real number yes. In integer number no.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:47 pm You cannot divide infinitesimal to two.

Exactly. Dividing 1 by 2 is open, not closed e.g the answer is not in the domain of the integers.
Yes.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:21 pm I use my mind.
As far as I can tell your mind is a Turing machine.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:21 pm Non-deterministic means that you cannot anticipate it. Free decision is non-deterministic. It is also free.
Exactly. As the programmer I can't anticipate precisely what a non-deterministic algorithm will decide, even though I wrote it.

Like this: https://repl.it/repls/EthicalBlindNetbsd

Code: Select all

I choose not to choose!
[78, 80, 26]
[79, 8, 46]
I choose not to choose!
[60, 56, 31]
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:21 pm Yes, we all use maximum utility when we follow a chain of causality. We however are free not to use it.
So you are minimising, not maximising utility. Is just an inverse.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:21 pm You can always decide.
That's true thanks to my coin.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:21 pm In real number yes. In integer number no.
The real number 1 is exactly the same distance from 0 as the integer 1.Said differently.

Real(1) = Integer(1)
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:21 pm Yes.
So Integer(1) is what you are looking for?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:58 pm
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:21 pm I use my mind.
As far as I can tell your mind is a Turing machine.
Not when it comes to experience, decision and causation.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:21 pm Non-deterministic means that you cannot anticipate it. Free decision is non-deterministic. It is also free.
Exactly. As the programmer I can't anticipate precisely what a non-deterministic algorithm will decide, even though I wrote it.

Like this: https://repl.it/repls/EthicalBlindNetbsd

Code: Select all

I choose not to choose!
[78, 80, 26]
[79, 8, 46]
I choose not to choose!
[60, 56, 31]
Yes, your program is non-deterministic but it is not free.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:21 pm Yes, we all use maximum utility when we follow a chain of causality. We however are free not to use it.
So you are minimising, not maximising utility. Is just an inverse.
No, I am not either thinking of minimising or maximising when I decide freely.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:21 pm You can always decide.
That's true thanks to my coin.
You could do it without a coin. I do it all the time.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:21 pm In real number yes. In integer number no.
The real number 1 is exactly the same distance from 0 as the integer 1.Said differently.

Real(1) = Integer(1)
There is no distance in integer number.
bahman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:21 pm Yes.
So Integer(1) is what you are looking for?
No. I was looking for how one can get a consistent mathematical framework that allows us the measurement at the same time explain how one can get continuum from infinitesimal.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

bahman wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:39 pm Yes, your program is non-deterministic but it is not free.
How do you test for "freedom"?
How do you falsify "freedom"?
bahman wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:39 pm No, I am not either thinking of minimising or maximising when I decide freely.
You could do it without a coin. I do it all the time.
You still haven't told me how and why you do it. If you don't know know how; and you don't know why - then why are you so sure you are doing it "freely" ?
bahman wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:39 pm There is no distance in integer number.
Then what is subtraction?
bahman wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:39 pm No. I was looking for how one can get a consistent mathematical framework that allows us the measurement at the same time explain how one can get continuum from infinitesimal.
What you are really asking is how one can get a "continuum" from discrete elements. The simple answer is - you can't.

Mathematics is discrete because language is discrete. On metaphysical level - language is discrete because time is discrete. Humans think in beginnings and ends. Physics is discrete because a "measurement" is an effect on the measurement apparatus caused by the thing being measured.

If physics was "continuous" you can't have things like "causes" and "effects" - you'll just have a function.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:02 am Physics is discrete ... [but not for the reason you explained]
Physical entities are discrete, and, you are right that language and mathematics are discrete (a very astute and correct observation, by the way). But all physical relationships are analog, which is why no mathematical measurement is ever absolutely exact (except by accident) because measurement is in terms of arbitrary discrete units of measure.

There is no physical infinitesimal (or infinite) which are only the extremes of arbitrary (human invented) units of measure.[/quote]