Is philosophical enquiry a form of trolling

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Is philosophical enquiry a form of trolling

Post by Walker »

Is philosophical enquiry a form of trolling?

They're the same except for intent, and intent makes all the difference.

The intent of trolling is derailment.
The intent of philosophy is truth.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

commonsense wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:04 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:30 am
commonsense wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:58 am Well, is it?
could you explain what you mean?

At this level of vagueness, I'd say: it depends.
Good answer.

A troll writes short provocative posts intended to generate a response, like I did in the OP. Make of it what you like.
and just intended to generate that response only. IOW they aren't interested in the topic, they are using the topic to get people riled up.

I guess I don't see all philosophical enquiry OPs as doing this. But I get that perhaps you did actually mean enquiry and not inquiry and the OP was self-referential.

I think one can get the ball rolling with a general vague-ish question and not be trolling, since trolling implies things about your intentions. I don't think it's a great way to start a thread, and some forums even demand that you put something of your own position out there.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:21 am
Only when its an idiot such as Age trashing threads with pure drivel.
Philosophical enquiry can be a form of trolling for some people. I agree that Age is the only obvious troll on this forum currently, often bombarding threads and posters with mountains of nonsense claims and questions gushing forth as some sort of fantasy know-it-all glory for himself based on the delusions he seems mired in. It's surprising that he has not been banned from this forum, like any other excessive troll/spammer.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Plato was walking over a river and half way across, he looked down and asked "Are you hiding under the bridge Socrates?"

-Imp

Post by Age »

Lacewing wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:29 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:21 am
Only when its an idiot such as Age trashing threads with pure drivel.
Philosophical enquiry can be a form of trolling for some people. I agree that Age is the only obvious troll on this forum currently,
"age" IS the ONLY one, REALLY?

Also, what IS OBVIOUSLY CLEAR here IS that the word 'troll' here MEANS VERY DIFFERENT 'things', TO DIFFERENT 'people'.

Just like the word 'woke' ALSO DOES.

And, by the way, I think it WILL BE FOUND that I have been the ONLY one who somewhat defined the word 'troll' here, BEFORE I SAID and CLAIMED what I DID here. Which was JUST, more or less, that 'philosophical inquiry' can be a form of trolling for SOME people. I ALSO went out of my way to EXPLAIN the REASONS for MY CLAIM/S. UNLIKE what the "others" have done here.

Lacewing wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:29 pm often bombarding threads and posters with mountains of nonsense claims and questions gushing forth as some sort of fantasy know-it-all glory for himself based on the delusions he seems mired in.
But 'you' NEVER 'gush forth' your UNSUBSTANTIATED CLAIMS and BELIEFS, BASED UPON the DELUSIONS that you seem MIRED IN, right "lacewing"?
Lacewing wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:29 pm It's surprising that he has not been banned from this forum, like any other excessive troll/spammer.
So, this is the TYPE of 'arguing' here.

P1. I AGREE and/or BELIEVE that "age" is the ONLY, obvious, troll, on this forum, currently.
P2. I BELIEVE "age" just BOMBARDS 'us' with NONSENSE claims, and NONSENSE questions.
P3. I BELIEVE "age" believes that 'it' is some sort of know-it-all, based upon DELUSIONS that "age" is STUCK IN.
C. I am SURPRISED that "age" has NOT been BANNED.

"lacewing" do 'you' HAVE THE COURAGE to back up and support ANY of these, OBVIOUSLY, OUTRAGEOUS CLAIMS and PREMISES of YOURS here WITH ABSOLUTELY ANY 'thing', OF ANY ACTUAL SUBSTANCE?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Age wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:09 pm "age" IS the ONLY one, REALLY?
Only obvious troll. Obvious is a key word in that sentence.
Also, what IS OBVIOUSLY CLEAR here IS that the word 'troll' here MEANS VERY DIFFERENT 'things', TO DIFFERENT 'people'.
I agree. I doubt you are a troll. However, if you are a troll, you are a very, very skilled troll.
But my working assumption is that you are ingenuous rather than the opposite.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:46 pm
I agree. I doubt you are a troll. However, if you are a troll, you are a very, very skilled troll.
Can anyone suggest a better word for the visual of someone who seeks out or follows behind people, hoping to gather random crumbs of phrasing he can string together nonsensically into a necklace that he then wears to further exemplify his delusion of superior being? :)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:46 pm I agree. I doubt you are a troll. However, if you are a troll, you are a very, very skilled troll.
You know he will misinterpret that as a compliment.

He's not a troll, he's simply a scrambled egg brain that spends most of his life annoying people.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:11 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:46 pm I agree. I doubt you are a troll. However, if you are a troll, you are a very, very skilled troll.

He's not a troll, he's simply a scrambled egg brain that spends most of his life annoying people.
He's preparing us for that future where we know exactly what everyone means all the time.
People won't even jaywalk, then.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:08 pm Can anyone suggest a better word for the visual of someone who seeks out or follows behind people, hoping to gather random crumbs of phrasing he can string together nonsensically into a necklace that he then wears to further exemplify his delusion of superior being? :)
Energy vampire

Post by Age »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:08 pm
Can anyone suggest a better word for the visual of someone who seeks out or follows behind people, hoping to gather random crumbs of phrasing he can string together nonsensically into a necklace that he then wears to further exemplify his delusion of superior being? :)
The True DELUSION here IS this one's ASSUMPTION or BELIEF, which can be CLEARLY SEEN IN the words 'his delusion of superior'.

There is NOT even A THOUGHT of superiority here, let alone some BELIEF nor PRESUMPTION here, on my part.

In fact it has been 'me' who HAS BEEN ALREADY ACKNOWLEDGING and ADMITTING that 'i' intellectually WOULD BE and AM the MOST INFERIOR one here, in this forum.

Just because I may well KNOW some 'things', which "others" have YET TO, CERTAINLY does NOT make 'me' in ANYWAY superior. The ONLY 'thing' that 'me' KNOWING some 'things', which "others" do I YET, is DIFFERENT, ONLY.

SLSO, the WAY I LOOK AT and SEE 'things' DIFFERENTLY FROM 'you', people, ALSO does NOT MAKE 'me' superior NEITHER, The WAY I 'operate', AGAIN, just MAKES 'me' DIFFERENT, ALONE.

Post by Age »

SEE HOW 'these people' WOULD, BACK THEN:

1. KEEP PRESUMING 'things' WITHOUT EVER SEEKING OUT and OBTAINING ACTUAL CLARIFICATION FIRST.

2. KEEP USING words as though their OWN, personal, DEFINITION/MEANING ALIGNS WITH "another's" OWN, personal, DEFINITION/MEANING, WITHOUT EVER having A DISCUSSION ABOUT HOW the "other" is ACTUALLY DEFINING 'that word' NOW WITHOUT DISCUSSING ABOUT WHAT the "other" IS ACTUALLY SAYING, and MEANING.

Now, if ANY one would LIKE to Truly KNOW IF I MISINTERPRETED ABSOLUTELY ANY 'thing' here, or NOT, then, BY ALL MEANS, LET 'us' HAVE A DISCUSSION.

After all, IF A DISCUSSION WAS TO TAKE PLACE, then what MIGHT BE FOUND IS that it was ACTUALLY "attofishpi" here who was the one who ACTUALLY MISINTERPRETED 'things' here.
attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:11 pm He's not a troll, he's simply a scrambled egg brain that spends most of his life annoying people.
'I' ONLY have THE POWER TO so-call 'annoy' people like 'you', "attofishpi", BECAUSE people like 'you' GET ANNOYED WHEN I POINT OUT and SHOW 'your' CONTRADICTIONS, INCONSISTENCIES, and/or just False AND Wrong CLAIMS.

Like I have BEEN DOING. Which 'you' OBVIOUSLY could NOT COUNTER NOR REFUTE. Which HAS LEFT 'you' ANNOYED, CLEARLY.

Post by Age »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:42 pm

He's preparing us for that future where we know exactly what everyone means all the time.
I have JUST SHOWN and EXPLAINED HOW 'this' CAN and WOULD TAKE PLACE.

I have NEVER even THOUGHT, nor even SUGGESTED, let alone SAID nor CLAIMED, that there is some place/time where 'we' KNOW, EXACTLY, what EVERY one MEANS, ALL the time.

So, WHY 'you' would MAKE 'this' PRESUMPTION and CLAIM here, ONLY 'you', REALLY, KNOW "iwannaplato".

WILL 'you' EXPLAIN TO 'us' the reason/s WHY 'you' MADE this VERY CLEARLY False AND Wrong CLAIM here "iwannaplato"?

If no, then WHY NOT?
Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:42 pm People won't even jaywalk, then.
Well 'this' is an even STRANGER, MORE RIDICULOUS, and ALSO False AND Wrong PRESUMPTION and CLAIM here now.

WHY do 'you' CONTINUALLY MAKE 'these False AND Wrong' ACCUSATIONS and CLAIMS?

Post by Age »

Now, BACK TO the opening post.

I have ALREADY CLAIMED, and EXPLAINED WHY;

SOME 'philosophical inquiry' is very much done in the 'form of trolling', but then sometimes 'it' IS NOT done with 'trolling' intended AT ALL.

NO one has been ABLE TO REFUTE what I have SAID and WRITTEN here. And, I WAIT to be QUESTIONED and/or CHALLENGED OVER 'this'.

In the meantime, some people have SHOWN that they PREFER to LOOK AT 'me', JUDGE 'me', and/or just KEEP talking ABOUT 'me', INSTEAD.

Post by Age »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:08 pm
Can anyone suggest a better word for the visual of someone who seeks out or follows behind people,

1. hoping to gather random crumbs of phrasing
One who just LIKES to CLEAN UP the MESS that "others" LEAVE BEHIND 'them'.

Therefore, 'Cleaner' is A SUGGESTION for A BETTER 'word'.
Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:08 pm 2. he can string together nonsensically
What APPEARS TO BE 'the case', AT FIRST GLANCE, is NEVER necessarily what 'it' SEEMS TO BE.

What 'this', literally, and ACTUALLY, MEANS IS if some 'thing' APPEARS or SEEMS TO BE 'nonsensical' on FIRST APPEARANCE, then, ONLY through a DEEPER LOOKING INTO and some form of OPEN and Honest DISCUSSION, or REFLECTION, can the ACTUAL Truth COME-TO-LIGHT, and BE REVEALED.

Just SAYING and/or CLAIMING that 'that' IS NONSENSICAL, WITHOUT EVER ACTUALLY PROVIDING what 'that' IS, EXACTLY, IS one of the GREATEST and HIGHEST FORMS of DECEPTION, ATTEMPTING TO DECEIVE, and/or Dishonesty.
Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:08 pm into a necklace that he then wears to further exemplify his delusion of superior being? :)
What the REAL and True DELUSION here IS 'this one' BELIEVING that 'I' think or believe that 'I' AM of superior being.

AND, I WILL EXPLAIN, AGAIN, WHY 'this DELUSION', which 'this one' HOLDS TO BE TRUE, KEEPS EXISTING; it IS BECAUSE of the BELIEFS that 'this one' HOLDS ONTO, MAINTAINS, and is COMPLETELY and UTTERLY FIXED ON-TO and FIXATED UP-ON.