PH's 'Moral Facts' are Circular & Baseless

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Re: PH's 'Moral Facts' are Circular & Baseless

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:48 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:08 am Why the fuss with 'empirical-rational'?
When I merely used the term 'empirical' [i.e. to imply not mind-independent] I am accused as being an empiricist when I am not, thus I use the term 'empirical-rational' to prevent me being accused as an empiricist.
The context here is you asking him to demonstrate that there is something real that is beyond the empirical-rational.
The term "empirical-rational" implies I am applying the optimality of the best of empirical and the highest level critical thinking.
This is what you say you mean by the term. So, you were asking him to demonstrate that something is real that is beyond the best of the empirical and the highest level of critical thinking.

It's a bit like asking someone to make a strong argument that is neither rational nor based on solid empirical evidence.

Again, you asked for something that was beyond this category. It's a kind of set up.

It's also a category confusion. Things are non-rational.
Off-topic.
I have stated, I used the term 'empirical-rational' to ensure no one accuse me of being an empiricist, PERIOD!
In this case, whatever I propose as real, fact, truth, knowledge and objectivity is a complementarity of the empirical and the rational.
This is the main reason why I introduced the 'empirical-rational' term.
This is like YIN must always exists with YANG in complementarity.

Set-up?
When a philosophical realist makes the positive claim the noumenon, thing-in-itself, fact-in-itself exists as an absolute mind-independent thing, the onus is on the philosophical realist to justify his claim.
There is no set-up; if one make a positive claim, then, justify that claim.

IWP: Things are non-rational.
You claim so because you are ignorant and is dogmatic with a philosophical stance.

Note this common philosophical statement by Kant;
Kant famously wrote,
"Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind."
Kant in CPR wrote:Thoughts without Content are empty, Intuitions without Concepts are blind.
It is, therefore, just as necessary to make our Concepts Sensible, that is, to add the Object to them in Intuition,
as to make our Intuitions Intelligible, that is, to bring them under Concepts.
B75
Re Kantian Philosophy;
Intuitions, Sensible are empirical elements.
Intelligible, thoughts, concepts are rational elements.

Thus for any thing to be real, the empirical must be complemented with the rational, i.e. empirical-rational [as defined in the above context].

For Kant, to postulate a positive noumenon or thing-in-itself as real [CONSTITUTIONALLY] is claiming it as a purely rational object without the thing grounded on the empirical, i.e. absolutely mind-independent. This is illusory, albeit could be a useful illusion in some context.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Well, indirect perception is the "empirical-rational" stance. :)

Be more empirical-rational
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Atla wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:01 am Well, indirect perception is the "empirical-rational" stance. :)
Is it? Do you indirectly perceive yourself perceiving?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Atla wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:01 am Well, indirect perception is the "empirical-rational" stance. :)

I want to know about the anti-emprical-rational philosophical positions.
I'm also interested in the neither-realist/antirealist positions.
I feel like we are marginalizing positions.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:16 am

I want to know about the anti-emprical-rational philosophical positions.
I'm also interested in the neither-realist/antirealist positions.
I feel like we are marginalizing positions.
Not anti, but imo an example that is half-empirical-rational, would be VA's philosophy I guess.

It generally uses empirical evidence, but rejects the empirical evidence for indirect perception.
It's rational, but it's irrational when it rejects even the possibility of the noumenon.

One should be more empirical-rational than that
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Atla wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:35 pm *It generally uses empirical evidence, but rejects the empirical evidence for indirect perception.
Sort of. If we are talking about ontology in general then the unperceived does not exist. If we are talking about anything else then the scientific FSKs hold. So, there were dinosaurs and big bangs and the cores (of planets) that we cannot see and all sorts of things. Now really, ontologically, they don't exist, but if it suits his purposes they do exist. And I've seen this ping pong back and for what feels like years.
It's rational, but it's irrational when it rejects even the possibility of the noumenon.
Except when he doesn't reject it.
One should be more empirical-rational than that
Or at least learn to live with what one's beliefs entail. If everyone's who is a realist is a moron, don't use realism to back up your positions. Then take it away and deny a post later. Then bring it back. Then call anyone pointing this out a person using a strawman.

It must be lovely to never notice cognitive dissonance.