Hawking: My 'Brief History of Time' was Wrong.

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Iwannaplato

Re: Hawking: My 'Brief History of Time' was Wrong.

Post by Iwannaplato »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:14 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:50 am That doesn't halp VA.
Why would you say that?

It seems to strengthen his case against all mind-independence conceptions if “objectivity”.
I swear I'll take on any realist who says people can't or don't change perspectives.
And if Stephen Hawking decided there was no oughtness-to-not-kill-humans, well I'd be forced go along with that also. Cause it's Stephen Hawking.
VA will just have to come up with a better quote.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:22 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:50 am That doesn't halp VA.
Why would you say that?

It seems to strengthen his case against all mind-independence conceptions if “objectivity”.
I swear I'll take on any realist who says people can't or don't change perspectives.
And if Stephen Hawking decided there was no oughtness-to-not-kill-humans, well I'd be forced go along with that also. Cause it's Stephen Hawking.
VA will just have to come up with a better quote.
Define “better” in realistic terms.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:22 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:15 am
Why would you say that?

That Hawking changed perspective? I think that's real, people changing their minds. I even think it happens without me being around.
Sounds to me you are taking advantage of the equivocal freedom afforded by the vagueness of “mind-independence”.

Do you think mind independence means “independent of your mind” or “independent of everyone’s minds”?

Philosophers insist it means the latter.

So - independent of everyone’s mind how would anyone know if Hawking changed his mind?
No, that was play. My main point was that I think most realists think people change their minds.
And now you are talking about 'how would anyone know'

Independent of any minds how does VA know there is no mind-independent reality, something he's said many times, not noticing the problem, and while also producing pictures of what it looks like, lol.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:24 am Define “better” in realistic terms.
One that applies to the issue. That's better for people, his audience. Just being realistic.

And I do notice the parts you don't respond to.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:25 am
Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:24 am Define “better” in realistic terms.
One that applies to the issue.
Define “issue” in realistic terms.
Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:25 am And I do notice the parts you don't respond to.
I am ignoring them because they don’t apply to the issue ;)
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:27 am Define “issue” in realistic terms.
That's an easy one. But I'm not a realist, so why should I bother?
I am ignoring them because they don’t apply to the issue ;)
Well, you shouldn't have brought up my supposed ontological model then, in the first place, for example. :D Or 'the constructivists', whoever they are. They may all be right as rain while VA is making terrible arguments related to a position he has that is similar to some of them. But I now know that you think 'the constructivists' are right. Perhaps that was a mere tangent: By the way, Iwanna, the constructivists are right. Good to know. If they've taken offense to my criticism of VA's assumptions and equivocations, please send them my apologies for any distress they felt identifying with VA in this context. I think they are being to generous to him in this identification, but I it's been a while since I read a constructivist and I can't be sure I read the ones you are referring to. Maybe they should feel insulting for bringing Hawking in the way VA did. That copycat, VA, him, [shakes head].
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

If we don't or can't know what reality really is - or if there's no such thing as reality as it really is - then we don't or can't know what reality is not. For example, we don't or can't know that reality is mind-dependent or mind-independent - given that those descriptions are coherent.

And that's the end of so-called anti-realism and constructivism and model-dependent realism, and all the other fashionable isms - all of which depend on realist assumptions. For example, the supposed dichotomy between mind-dependence and mind-independence is itself a realist distinction.

In the same way, all uses of language depend on agreement on the use of signs. Or what the hell did I just write?

Realism does not entail essentialism. And essentialism is what the fashionable isms are designed to refute.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Peter Holmes wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:49 pm If we don't or can't know what reality really is - or if there's no such thing as reality as it really is - then we don't or can't know what reality is not. For example, we don't or can't know that reality is mind-dependent or mind-independent - given that those descriptions are coherent.

And that's the end of so-called anti-realism and constructivism and model-dependent realism, and all the other fashionable isms - all of which depend on realist assumptions. For example, the supposed dichotomy between mind-dependence and mind-independence is itself a realist distinction.

In the same way, all uses of language depend on agreement on the use of signs. Or what the hell did I just write?

Realism does not entail essentialism. And essentialism is what the fashionable isms are designed to refute.
Hawking himself...Page 64, The Grand Design
"One could have a model in which the table disappears when i leave the room and re-appears in the same position when i come back, but that would be awkward, and what if something happened, when i was out, like the ceiling falling in? How, under the table-disappears-when-I-leave-the-room model, could i account for the fact that the next time i enter, the table reappears broken, under the debris of the ceiling? The model in which the table stays put is much simpler and agrees with observation. That is all one can ask."
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:24 am
Thinking about how you behaved when I once asked you to define something, I'm a bit surprised to now find you asking the same of someone else. :roll:
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Harbal wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:29 pm
Thinking about how you behaved when I once asked you to define something, I'm a bit surprised to now find you asking the same of someone else. :roll:
Why are you surprised? I only ask because the task is impossible.

If you were asking me for the exact same reason - good thing I didn't answer!
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:44 pm
Harbal wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:29 pm
Why are you surprised? I only ask because the task is impossible.

If you were asking me for the exact same reason - good thing I didn't answer!
Yes, fair enough.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Peter Holmes wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:49 pm If we don't or can't know what reality really is - or if there's no such thing as reality as it really is - then we don't or can't know what reality is not.
For example, we don't or can't know that reality is mind-dependent or mind-independent - given that those descriptions are coherent.
You are begging the question above.
You are assuming there is a 'reality' which "we don't or can't know what reality {assumed] is not"
This is your bottom-up approach, i.e. assume there is a reality "down" there which "we don't or can't know what reality {assumed] is not"

If you read the OP, what Hawking is doing is, he is getting rid of the above assumption of the 'bottom-up' approach to a 'top-down' approach.

Note the OP, in [] = mine;
  • "According to Hertog, the new perspective that he has achieved with Hawking reverses the hierarchy between laws and reality in physics [the bottom-up] and is “profoundly Darwinian” in spirit [top-down]."

“It leads to a new philosophy of physics that rejects [the bottom-up] the idea that the universe is a machine governed by unconditional laws with a prior existence,
    and replaces it with [the top-down] a view of the universe as a kind of self-organising entity in which all sorts of emergent patterns appear, the most general of which we call the laws of physics.”
Here are some snippets from Hawking's new book [re Hanna Roberts];

• "With [a] top-down [approach] we put humankind back in the center [of cosmological theory], he said. Interestingly, this is what gives us control. (Hawking, as quoted in Hertog, 2023: p. 207)"

"Top-down cosmology recognizes that, much like biology’s tree of life, physics’ tree of laws is the outcome of a Darwinian-like evolution that can only be understood backward in time. The later Hawking propounded that down at the bottom, it isn’t a matter of why the world is the way it is—its fundamental nature dictated by a transcendental cause—but of how we got where we are. From this viewpoint, the observation that the universe happens to be just right for life is the starting point of everything else. (Hertog, 2023: p. 208,)"

"This observership, the interactive process at the heart of quantum theory that transforms what might be into what does happen, constantly draws the universe more firmly into existence. Observers—in this quantum sense—acquire a sort of creative role in cosmic affairs that imbues cosmology with a delicate subjective touch.
    Observership also introduces a subtle backward-in-time element into cosmological theory, for it is as if the act of observation today retroactively fixes the outcome of the big bang “back then.”
    This is why Stephen referred to his final theory as top-down cosmology; we read the fundamentals of the history of the universe backward—from the top down….
    Top-down cosmology turns the riddle of the universe’s apparent design in a sense upside down.
    It embodies the view that own at the quantum level, the universe bioengineers its own biofriendliness. Life and the universe are in some way a mutual fit, according to the theory, because, in a deeper sense, they come into existence together. In effect, I venture to claim that this view captures the true spirit of the Copernican Revolution."

Btw, Kant also used the same Copernican Revolution analogy in placing the human conditions as primary.
  • "The Copernican Revolution did not pretend that our position in the universe is irrelevant, only that it isn’t privileged. Five centuries on, top-down cosmology returns to these roots. (Hertog, 2023: pp. 254-255,)"

One might say that in top-down cosmology, the laws serve the universe, not the universe the laws.
    The theory holds that if there is an answer to the great question of existence, it is to be found within this world, not in a structure of principles outside it. (Hertog, 2023: p. 258 )

For example, we don't or can't know that reality is mind-dependent or mind-independent - given that those descriptions are coherent.
note, mind [modern] = human conditions. Don't bring in your crap, there is no such thing as 'mind'.

I am very certain, you as a normal human being is very certain [maybe absolutely certain] whatever is of reality, it must be related to your mind. Thus cannot be ultimately independent of your mind.
Since, all normal humans are like you, then, reality must be conditioned upon their minds - leading to intersubjective agreement and therefrom degrees of credible and reliable objectivity.
From this perspective, reality cannot be mind-independent of the subject and subject[s] mind.
As such, the best mode of what is reality should be grounded on the mind [top] and digging down to as far as evidence [mind] can support.
This is what Hawking's new theory is involved in.

Therefore, humans must ignore their propensity [desperate psychology] to reify the illusory 'mind-independent' reality as real and recognized it is a merely illusion.
While recognizing this 'mind-independent' reality as an illusion, it can be a useful illusion when used and qualified as an illusion.

You as a philosophical realist is making the assumption then reifying and insisting that is real reality, i.e. the just-in, being-so feature of reality.

The not-mind-independence [top-down] {so-called anti-realism and constructivism and model-dependent realism} do not make any assumptions of a mind-independent reality.
As I had been insisting, the anti-mind-independence [top-down] approach start from the top with its confidence of the mind's existence, then based on observations and induction dig down as far as the evidence can support [i.e. without assuming there is a fixed bottom mind independent reality]

Penny dropped???
You have just FSKed your claim, i.e. 'agreement' which is collective consensus within the linguistic FSK.
Essentialism is irrelevant to this discussion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essentialism
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:18 am You can defend realism till the cows come home, but it doesn't matter in practice because constructivists are ultimately right.

It doesn't matter that the world is independent of human minds, because all knowledge of the world is always a human and social construction.

Pattern-matching and recognition is information processing. It's a branch of computer science, and computer science is recursive/self-referential. It's epistemology, not ontology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_recognition
Agree with the above.
Pattern recognition is basic within the evolutionary and psychological perspectives that are supported by its neural correlates [i.e. human conditions].

From the initial Big Bang there was this supposedly "primordial particle soup" without "patterns" which is still fundamental at present. A clue [not exactly] is at the below;

Pattern recognition (psychology)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_r ... sychology)

Why Did Humans Evolve Pattern Recognition Abilities?
https://cognitiontoday.com/why-did-huma ... abilities/

There was no patterns until after 4 billions year and much later when organisms acquired basic pattern recognition abilities where evolutionary adaptions continue to improve on it.

What are supposedly patterns we recognized from the physical of matters, solid or otherwise are [post hoc basis] ultimately made up of ??? [could be wave or particle as conditioned upon the observer], i.e. no real patterns, thus your point;

"It doesn't matter that the world is independent of human minds, because all knowledge of the world is always [ultimately] a human and social construction."
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

"What do we do now?"

"Dump the cargo, what else?!"

"What?! $10,000,000,000 worth of Spanish gold?!"

"I'm not going to say this again, dump the cargo!"

"Aye!"
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:59 am
Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:27 am Define “issue” in realistic terms.
That's an easy one. But I'm not a realist, so why should I bother?
So if you "aren't a realist and you shouldn't bother" why did you just define "better" in realistic terms?

Seems rather capricious...