General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: What are your apocalypse plans?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:57 pm
Dubious wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:20 am
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:44 pm

Suppose I martyred myself in an act of defiance against the powers that be in this world. And suppose my selfless act stirred them to spare the world from nuclear annihilation at their billing. Would it, therefore, be criminal for me NOT to sacrifice myself that way? What are people's thoughts here? Should I try it? At least see if it works?
Absolutely! If we knew that you were the Chosen One to save the world, and you didn't, we'd probably kill you anyway before the apocalypse is due. But if you were to commit to so noble a sacrifice, we'd certainly immortalize you in the highest statue the world has ever seen or better still, create a new global religion with you at its center...not a god that decides who qualifies for an afterlife but a human who saved THIS WORLD from annihilation! The hallelujah chorus from that time forward will take on a whole new meaning.
I've often thought that dying a heroic death in the name of humanity would probably be the best way to go. Me whimpering and cowering in fear till the end of my time seems like it would be a recessive hell. Maybe there would be 70 virgins for me in the afterlife or something. Then I certainly wouldn't be lonely. Now I just need to figure out exactly what to do and where to do it. Any ideas?
Everyone has their problems and pain. I'm not diminishing yours, but do you really have to keep trying to bring everyone else down? I thought you still had your parents. If you have a good relationship with them then you aren't really 'lonely'. True loneliness comes when someone very close to you dies. Not having a 'soul mate' isn't loneliness, it's just wanting what you don't have. I can't be bothered with people who believe that their happiness and peace of mind is entirely dependent on having a 'mate'. If you are mentally fragile now, then what exactly do you think would happen to your mental state after a traumatic breakup?? Your life now would seem like the most blissful existence imaginable. Why do you think so many people kill themselves after relationship breakdowns?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:22 pm
Dubious wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:20 am
Absolutely! If we knew that you were the Chosen One to save the world, and you didn't, we'd probably kill you anyway before the apocalypse is due. But if you were to commit to so noble a sacrifice, we'd certainly immortalize you in the highest statue the world has ever seen or better still, create a new global religion with you at its center...not a god that decides who qualifies for an afterlife but a human who saved THIS WORLD from annihilation! The hallelujah chorus from that time forward will take on a whole new meaning.
I've often thought that dying a heroic death in the name of humanity would probably be the best way to go. Me whimpering and cowering in fear till the end of my time seems like it would be a recessive hell. Maybe there would be 70 virgins for me in the afterlife or something. Then I certainly wouldn't be lonely. Now I just need to figure out exactly what to do and where to do it. Any ideas?
Everyone has their problems and pain. I'm not diminishing yours, but do you really have to keep trying to bring everyone else down? I thought you still had your parents. If you have a good relationship with them then you aren't really 'lonely'. True loneliness comes when someone very close to you dies. Not having a 'soul mate' isn't loneliness, it's just wanting what you don't have. I can't be bothered with people who believe that their happiness and peace of mind is entirely dependent on having a 'mate'. If you are mentally fragile now, then what exactly do you think would happen to your mental state after a traumatic breakup?? Your life now would seem like the most blissful existence imaginable. Why do you think so many people kill themselves after relationship breakdowns?
Fair enough. I'll shut up about it from here forward.
Last edited by Gary Childress on Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:57 pm I've often thought that dying a heroic death in the name of humanity would probably be the best way to go. Me whimpering and cowering in fear till the end of my time seems like it would be a recessive hell. Maybe there would be 70 virgins for me in the afterlife or something. Then I certainly wouldn't be lonely. Now I just need to figure out exactly what to do and where to do it. Any ideas?
Agreed! For me, there's no worse loneliness than being in a bad relationship. I think one has to be the type of person they want to be with... loving, stable, balanced, self-sufficient, etc. It's only fair as a trade. Few people are going to want to take on issues in another that they've resolved/transcended in themselves.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:57 pm Maybe there would be 70 virgins for me in the afterlife or something. Then I certainly wouldn't be lonely.
That's right! You'd be too tired to be lonely. One of the main mysteries of non-existence is where are all these supposed virgins going to come from, 70 to a guy! Why specifically 70! Another mystery! If it's always the same 70 for eternity, you're going to wish you were dead. Half that number spread out during one's lifetime is a much better idea. Being DNA based you know what you're getting!
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:57 pmNow I just need to figure out exactly what to do and where to do it. Any ideas?
Well, for one thing, don't do anything which renders you permanently inert. If life is a joke, laugh as long as possible! Examine all the footnotes in your subconscious for all the gruesome details. I recall you saying that you write poetry; that would be one good way to do it. The way the brain generates poetry is very unlike its prose counterpart which usually sees things in black and white or intermediate shades of gray but hardly ever in glorious technicolor. I've already written mine in verse; unfortunately it didn't end well. Also, no point in worrying about empty space. Though hard to believe, it's evidently a fact that if all that space were removed from all the humans on the planet we'd all fit into the size of a sugar cube. Live with the fact that we're all mostly dead already! :twisted:

In the meantime consider this be the verse by Philip Larkin...the last line is the obvious conclusion! But then where are all the prematurely defunct virgins supposed to come from??
This Be The Verse
By Philip Larkin

They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another’s throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don’t have any kids yourself.
vegetariantaxidermy

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:52 pm

Hmm. I wonder what you deleted :lol: Anyway, it's not hard to do a process of elimination. There's nothing wrong with the way you look. You are intelligent and savvy. Therefore it must be 'something else'. You do realise that 'neediness' is probably the single biggest turn-off to either sex don't you? It's probably not something that anyone has much control over, but at least you can be more aware of what's going on when you understand this. Some people just aren't good at relationships eg. those who are extremely jealous are NEVER going to have a successful relationship and should just stay from them. Same with serial philanderers. In fact there is probably only a small minority of people who have all the right ingredients and happen to find someone who has all the same ingredients.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:30 pm

Hmm. I wonder what you deleted :lol: Anyway, it's not hard to do a process of elimination. There's nothing wrong with the way you look. You are intelligent and savvy. Therefore it must be 'something else'. You do realise that 'neediness' is probably the single biggest turn-off to either sex don't you? It's probably not something that anyone has much control over, but at least you can be more aware of what's going on when you understand this. Some people just aren't good at relationships eg. those who are extremely jealous are NEVER going to have a successful relationship and should just stay from them. Same with serial philanderers. In fact there is probably only a small minority of people who have all the right ingredients and happen to find someone who has all the same ingredients.
I'm needy, I get jealous, and am a sucker for a pretty girl. My eyes tend to wander also. So I guess those are three strikes against me. I also get codependent when I'm with someone I love. I'm doomed to failure in relationships. I know it but part of me wants to believe that there is the hope of finding someone who will stick with me as much as I will stick with them. I tend to be devoted and loyal when I find someone I'm interested in but that doesn't seem to count for anything.
vegetariantaxidermy

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:32 am

I'm needy, I get jealous, and am a sucker for a pretty girl. My eyes tend to wander also. So I guess those are three strikes against me. I also get codependent when I'm with someone I love. I'm doomed to failure in relationships. I know it but part of me wants to believe that there is the hope of finding someone who will stick with me as much as I will stick with them. I tend to be devoted and loyal when I find someone I'm interested in but that doesn't seem to count for anything.
So you want to find a masochist. That's a red flag in itself for fuck sake.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Lacewing wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:53 pm Few people are going to want to take on issues in another that they've resolved/transcended in themselves.
Very good point! Lacewing. :)

Why take on more emotional baggage than you yourself can carry. Why, when you do not need to. Rather, it is wise to learn to carry your own baggage, or even better, leave it outside any union with another.

Then and only then can two people enter a state of transcendental enlightened union with another.

No small talk. No association = The Zen Masters Relationship.

Relationships that are codependant, jealous, insecure, and needy, is addiction...these relationships are still on the journey of self-mastery.

The greatest of all relationships is the one you have with yourself alone. Only when you can fearlessly be alone with yourself without want or need for another; will you discover, you are never alone, because you will become a magnet to everyone who is seeking their own self-mastery.

Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:24 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:32 am

So you want to find a masochist. That's a red flag in itself for fuck sake.
I'm aware that there's most likely no one out there for me and that I'm probably every woman's worst nightmare. I wish I could change but 55 years of solitude and alienation doesn't seem to have made a gem out of me. Such is life. I'm basically screwed and I know it. Maybe I'll get lucky and die in my sleep soon. There doesn't seem to be anything else particularly enticing waiting for me in life.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:04 am
Lacewing wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:53 pm Few people are going to want to take on issues in another that they've resolved/transcended in themselves.
it is wise to learn to carry your own baggage, or even better, leave it outside any union with another.
Yes! And downsize to a very small carry-on. :)

When I stopped waiting for the right partner and explored/pursued my life's passions on my own, I created and experienced some of the best and most amazing years of my life... so far.
Dontaskme wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:04 am The greatest of all relationships is the one you have with yourself alone. Only when you can fearlessly be alone with yourself without want or need for another; will you discover, you are never alone
Agreed! We come into this world on our own, and we go out of this world on our own. Exploring this life for ourselves seems to be a natural (even, intended) approach, rather than mindlessly subscribing to all of society's notions. We are amazing cosmic explorers who should avoid becoming easily detoured from our greatest paths. :D
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:20 pm There doesn't seem to be anything else particularly enticing waiting for me in life.
You're not supposed to wait for it -- you're supposed to create it. There are things you can do and resources you can use. Right now you seem intent on focusing on this sad narrative, and no one can save you from doing that. Maybe if you knew how powerful your thoughts are in sustaining your reality, you would be more eager to explore ways for changing them. In a Universe this vast, it simply makes no sense that you and your life experience can only be one way or follow one path. Your thoughts are driving more than you (currently) know.
Toppsy Kretts

Post by Toppsy Kretts »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:55 pm
Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:43 pm I would personally, go to the woods.
think about it... All the zombies, are going to go to the city because that's where the mass population is going to try to hide... And the buildings surrounded by concrete and impenetrable walls so that draws the zombies away from the forest. But if you stay in the forest say dig tunnels over a couple months, especially being prior military I'm sure we all know how to dig ******* fox tunnels. Have dead zombie bodies laying at each entrance the decay smell of the zombies kind of worked on The Walking Dead, so that would be a plus and every so often going and scavenging food from a nearby town, or from animals hunting.
and another thing, if your desperately trying to survive, your not going to die, your going to eat anything and everything you an get your hands on.
Then after sometime, you will and effectively learn how to catch prey and bigger to bigger animals.
THere is one big flaw to your plan.
THere ain't gonna be no zombies. The poxy clipz is gonna be caused by the death of bees, or the death of grass.
Maybe the end of oil?
AHHHHH i instantly thought of zombies, and why bees??? cause of that movie the happening? And that one line with Alberts theory?