God and the Philosophers

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Agent Smith

Re: God and the Philosophers

Post by Agent Smith »

Age wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:58 am
Agent Smith wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:38 pm
Age wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:56 am

The question about whether does or does not God exist has ALREADY been answered.

But, obviously, just not yet all have been made aware of this Fact.
One of the millenium questions, oui mon ami?
I do not know what it is that you are saying or asking for here.
It's just that from what I can gather no one actually cares about philosophy.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Agent Smith wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:43 am It's just that from what I can gather no one actually cares about philosophy.
..about ACTUAL philosophy - very true.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:01 am
Agent Smith wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:43 am It's just that from what I can gather no one actually cares about philosophy.
Hmmm. What's the difference?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Agent Smith wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:07 am
Ok. So there is the term 'philosophy' - Greek:- Love of Wisdom.

Most people that study and pursue what they think is philosophy are faithless. To me it appears to be: Love of logic\rationale

So.

I know where this argument of mine is about to head, but I will just say for now...it is not particularly wise to make the binary decision of atheist "philosophy" if one is truly seeking as much knowledge as possible.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:12 am

Most people that study and pursue what they think is philosophy are faithless. To me it appears to be: Love of logic\rationale

So.

I know where this argument of mine is about to head, but I will just say for now...it is not particularly wise to make the binary decision of atheist "philosophy" if one is truly seeking as much knowledge as possible.
Ms. Marple wrote:Most intereting.
is all I can say.

I feel the progress in our conversation is being impeded by an obvious culprit. Even so, I have to say you're on the mark. Atheistic outlooks are indeed exactly as you say they are, but the alternative to that is something worse???
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Agent Smith wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:32 am

So.

is all I can say.

I feel the progress in our conversation is being impeded by an obvious culprit. Even so, I have to say you're on the mark. Atheistic outlooks are indeed exactly as you say they are, but the alternative to that is something worse???
Well if one is truly loving the pursuit of knowledge and someone went to his death 2000 years ago, a point in time where man has sychronised the calendar to mark the occasion..is it wise to turn a blind eye to that in the light of to know God is via such a man and his sacrifice (for love)?

= worse?
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:40 am
Agent Smith wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:32 am

So.

is all I can say.

Well if one is truly loving the pursuit of knowledge and someone went to his death 2000 years ago, a point in time where man has sychronised the calendar to mark the occasion..is it wise to turn a blind eye to that in the light of to know God is via such a man and his sacrifice (for love)?

= worse?
I don't agree with the necessary premise of your belief.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Agent Smith wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:51 am
attofishpi wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:47 am
Agent Smith wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:42 am

Well, Jesus' tragic tale is intriguing to say the least, oui?
Answer the question, oui?
I'll try to and truth be told, I tried (in my previous post).
Really, where?

Please point out what is wrong with the premise that belief in Christ is actual love of wisdom (philosophy) while pursuing things philosophically.
Last edited by attofishpi on Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:35 am
Agent Smith wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:03 am
attofishpi wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:40 am

= worse?
Y ?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Agent Smith wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:03 am

Y ?
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Y ?
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Really, where?

Please point out what is wrong with the premise that belief in Christ is actual love of wisdom (philosophy) while pursuing things philosophically.
There's nothing wrong with love in re Jesus' tale as the key idsa in Christianity z it's just that that doesn't feel like the other guy if you catch me drift mate!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Agent Smith wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:00 pm

Really, where?

There's nothing wrong with love in re Jesus' tale as the key idsa in Christianity z it's just that that doesn't feel like the other guy if you catch me drift mate!
Actually no I don't...I have no idea what you are talking about. You really are a man of few words.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:52 am
Agent Smith wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:00 pm

Really, where?

Actually no I don't...I have no idea what you are talking about. You really are a man of few words.
You jest of course but true my expressive powers are no longer what they used to be and even when "they used to be" people used to complain to no end. Anyway, picking up where (I think) we left off, I'd say Euthyphro's dilemma has a major role in re the issue at hand.

Wouldn't you want God on your team?
owl of Minerva

Post by owl of Minerva »

If God is, as claimed in the East: Existence, Consciousness, Bliss then our existence is borrowed from that. We have existence, we are conscious and although not blissful we have sensation as a substitute.

If there is no God then everything is something from nothing and that may defy logic. A God that is all that exists, conscious of all of that exists and blissful in that existence may also defy logic.

The laws of nature position us between good and bad choices. If we choose the good we could, if not be blissful, at least suffer less. Even so the laws of nature limit and affect us and we may feel and suffer from the impact of the impropriety of others and possibly the sins of our fathers as well. Choosing what is best for all plus a stoic attitude to the ‘slings and arrows of fortune’ would appear to be the better choice.

Whether God exists or not we are here and have no choice but to figure it out. Great progress has been made in revealing the nature of the external world. The inner world is still a mystery.

Trying to solve the problem intellectually through logic is an interesting exercise but ultimately a futile one as infinity does not submit to limitation and the intellect is limited. If consciousness is all: infinite, our share of it through the intellect is finite. Not even quantum computing would help as the question of what reality is does not require a greater intellect. It requires an expansion of consciousness.