Analysis of misery in life – the way to look at it

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Agent Smith

Re: Analysis of misery in life – the way to look at it

Post by Agent Smith »

The OP makes a suggestion and some of us have followed it with mixed results. The OP's intent seems to be to solve one of the biggest problems facing humanity (algos aka suffering), but then s/he fails to do so, at least in the eyes of some folks around here and elsewhere too I bet. Perhaps we're not going about it the right way, oui mon ami?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Agent Smith wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:01 am The OP makes a suggestion and some of us have followed it with mixed results. The OP's intent seems to be to solve one of the biggest problems facing humanity (algos aka suffering), but then s/he fails to do so, at least in the eyes of some folks around here and elsewhere too I bet. Perhaps we're not going about it the right way, oui mon ami?
There are a lot of ways to subtly and not so subtly teach people to hate themselves. I think the OP is one, fairly common, way of trying to get people to increase their self-hate. I don't mean that dear Dattaswami is rubbing his hands together in cliche bad guy fashion and consciously trying to add to self-hate. I am sure he thinks he is being compassionate and kind to people. But he's not. There's a very dark contradiction in these old tired habits of self-relation that come creeping out of the East - and of course we have our own home grown versions such as don'taskme's. One can forgive them, since I think in most cases, they know not what they do.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:16 am
Agent Smith wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:01 am The OP makes a suggestion and some of us have followed it with mixed results. The OP's intent seems to be to solve one of the biggest problems facing humanity (algos aka suffering), but then s/he fails to do so, at least in the eyes of some folks around here and elsewhere too I bet. Perhaps we're not going about it the right way, oui mon ami?
There are a lot of ways to subtly and not so subtly teach people to hate themselves. I think the OP is one, fairly common, way of trying to get people to increase their self-hate. I don't mean that dear Dattaswami is rubbing his hands together in cliche bad guy fashion and consciously trying to add to self-hate. I am sure he thinks he is being compassionate and kind to people. But he's not. There's a very dark contradiction in these old tired habits of self-relation that come creeping out of the East - and of course we have our own home grown versions such as don'taskme's. One can forgive them, since I think in most cases, they know not what they do.
Take one more step back mon ami, one more step back. Anyway, you do make a fine point and it's always a pleasure to see a rare item with a 2% chance of being dropped when you off the boss. :) Forward soldier, forward!