Nobel Prize for Physics 2022 awarded to 3 scientists for work in Quantum Mechanics

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: Nobel Prize for Physics 2022 awarded to 3 scientists for work in Quantum Mechanics

Post by Age »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:23 am
Age wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:54 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:35 pm It's just a shame that most people assume that you have to be a genius to understand quantum mechanics, with the stereotype of the mad professor with wild hair scribbling gobbledygook on a blackboard. It should be 'demystified' at school age because it gets right to the core of 'who' we are. A good maths teacher is worth their weight in gold. They can teach it to anyone. Knowledge is what gives children confidence, not patronising woke platitudes and 'dumbing down'.
you come across here as though you understand quantum mechanics. If this is true, then will you explain to us what you understand about quantum mechanics?

If no, then is this because you REALLY do NOT understand quantum mechanics, or because you are NOT a good maths teacher, or because you think or BELIEVE that we could NOT understand what you do, or is it because of something else?

But if yes, then we await your explanation.
No, I don't, but at least I have curiosity and enough understanding to know that with the right tools I could understand it a lot better than I do.
I agree.

I would also say that the right tools would be just the SIMPLIFICATION of 'that', which some claim to know but who can NEVER fully explain what 'that' IS, EXACTLY, when questioned nor challenged.

To me, the term or phrase 'quantum mechanics' just refers to what happens at the subatomic level, and how things work there. Which, by the way, IS absolutely CONSISTENT with what happens at the classic level, and how things work there. Although this is obviously in contradiction with the popular BELIEF, in the days when this is being written.

Re: Nobel Prize for Physics 2022 awarded to 3 scientists for work in Quantum Mechanics

Post by Age »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:24 am
Age wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:56 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:32 am

I thought it was Richard Feynman who said that. It's also a bit of an exaggeration. Obviously those people who won the Nobel prize must understand SOMETHING about how it works, or at least have the tools to enable them to try to work out how it works...
Or, they could have, once more, just FOOLED and TRICKED "others" into BELIEVING that they KNOW 'things', or have WORKED OUT 'things', which they are, actually, REALLY UNABLE to FULLY EXPLAIN.
At least they are making an effort and not just relying on 'big daddy in the sky did ____ (insert anything you don't understand)'. If you need an operation don't you just have to assume that the person performing the operation has the education and skills to know what he's doing? Or when you get on a plane, you assume that the people who built it knew what they were doing and that the plane won't fall apart in the air?
And now I have to assume that you are going to drone on like the unbelievable bore that you are and 'argue' for the sake of 'argument' about anything and everything. Do you take medication for your OCD?
You do realise that I'm only expressing MY opinion don't you?
What are you on about now?

Absolutely NOTHING you said here relates to absolutely ANY thing I said NOR meant here.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:32 am I thought it was Richard Feynman who said that. It's also a bit of an exaggeration. Obviously those people who won the Nobel prize must understand SOMETHING about how it works, or at least have the tools to enable them to try to work out how it works...

At least they are making an effort and not just relying on 'big daddy in the sky did ____ (insert anything you don't understand)'.
Sure but there is a big irony in that until they comprehend within QM equations the fact that "big daddy" (it ain't just in the sky) is actually the link between conscious experience and subject matter they are going to be pondering around the ripples for far too long.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

And I'm sure you have peer reviewed evidence to prove this assertion (whatever you are 'asserting'). I don't think your drug-induced hallucinations are going to cut it...
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:32 am
attofishpi wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:41 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:32 am I thought it was Richard Feynman who said that. It's also a bit of an exaggeration. Obviously those people who won the Nobel prize must understand SOMETHING about how it works, or at least have the tools to enable them to try to work out how it works...

At least they are making an effort and not just relying on 'big daddy in the sky did ____ (insert anything you don't understand)'.
Sure but there is a big irony in that until they comprehend within QM equations the fact that "big daddy" (it ain't just in the sky) is actually the link between conscious experience and subject matter they are going to be pondering around the ripples for far too long.
And I'm sure you have peer reviewed evidence to prove this assertion (whatever you are 'asserting'). I don't think your drug-induced hallucinations are going to cut it...
What drug induced hallucinations?

What like this one?

vegetariantaxidermy

Hmm. If nothing exists until it's observed, then isn't it dangerous for us to be 'observing' the universe with sophisticated telescopes? How did that asteroid which killed off the large dinosaurs do it, if the fauna at the time knew nothing about it? Or, didn't it 'happened' until we were aware that it happened? Do events only 'happen' in hindsight? The 'happening' had no meaning and therefore didn't 'happen' until we became aware of it? Where does this 'hindsight' come from? :? (Golly gee. We are going to need a whole new 'tense' in English)...
So, the 'meaning of life' is simply 'observation'?
vegetariantaxidermy

If nothing exists until we observe it, doesn't that essentially make us 'gods'?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:41 pm If nothing exists until we observe it, doesn't that essentially make us 'gods'?
No. Not sure how you would draw that conclusion, but then it never ceases to amaze me how often people on this forum like to attempt to consider an opportunity to call themself a god.

The way I see it, and this is only a theory:

These 'things' exist, but are not rendered - processed until the requirement becomes required. God and its projection of reality is as efficient as possible.

So.

The moment you look at something - the 3rd party intelligence projects the information of that something - the information that constitutes that thing is provided. Not sure if you have heard of the holographic principle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holograph ... prov=sfla1

Thus, our conscious perception is a construct of 2D flat-plane information from the sub-atomic 3rd party intelligence that processes the information from the 2D plane such that you and I can perceive the world - in the 3D normal perception. If you can imagine that all information exists on the plane of a super-super-super massive black hole - the event horizon - the actual king of all information - indeed, the ultimate universe construct in_fom_at_ion base, then you are part way to comprehending this intelligence that is the backbone to what you perceive.

Not sure if you know how a 3D computer game/other works via a 3D engine software. Well, all the information required to provide the 'virutal' reality is stored but NOT processed until the observer - turns or woteva - to look at it. There would be HUGE loss in energy for NO reason, if ALL the stored information was continuously being churned over/processed when nobody is observing it.

Well, it appears the 3rd party intelligence (God) is operating the same efficient methodology to our dumb arse (atheist) consciousess. :mrgreen:
vegetariantaxidermy

attofishpi wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:30 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:41 pm If nothing exists until we observe it, doesn't that essentially make us 'gods'?
No. Not sure how you would draw that conclusion, but then it never ceases to amaze me how often people on this forum like to attempt to consider an opportunity to call themself a god.

The way I see it, and this is only a theory:

These 'things' exist, but are not rendered - processed until the requirement becomes required. God and its projection of reality is as efficient as possible.

So.

The moment you look at something - the 3rd party intelligence projects the information of that something - the information that constitutes that thing is provided. Not sure if you have heard of the holographic principle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holograph ... prov=sfla1

Thus, our conscious perception is a construct of 2D flat-plane information from the sub-atomic 3rd party intelligence that processes the information from the 2D plane such that you and I can perceive the world - in the 3D normal perception. If you can imagine that all information exists on the plane of a super-super-super massive black hole - the event horizon - the actual king of all information - indeed, the ultimate universe construct in_fom_at_ion base, then you are part way to comprehending this intelligence that is the backbone to what you perceive.

Not sure if you know how a 3D computer game/other works via a 3D engine software. Well, all the information required to provide the 'virutal' reality is stored but NOT processed until the observer - turns or woteva - to look at it. There would be HUGE loss in energy for NO reason, if ALL the stored information was continuously being churned over/processed when nobody is observing it.

Well, it appears the 3rd party intelligence (God) is operating the same efficient methodology to our dumb arse (atheist) consciousess. :mrgreen:
It would have been an ok post if you hadn't poked your god-bothering bullshit into the equation. Grow up.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:24 amIt would have been an ok post if you hadn't poked your god-bothering bullshit into the equation. Grow up.
I didn't want to have to point out based on your stupid unintelligent posts within this thread - but ya you are a fucking dumb.
vegetariantaxidermy

attofishpi wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:29 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:24 amIt would have been an ok post if you hadn't poked your god-bothering bullshit into the equation. Grow up.
I didn't want to have to point out based on your stupid unintelligent posts within this thread - but ya you are a fucking dumb.
Wow, that's really 'insulting', coming from 'you'. I mean, your opinion of me means so much :|
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:15 am Wow, that's really 'insulting', coming from 'you'. I mean, your opinion of me means so much :|
Well the use of quotes around "you" sums what I am stating about you up.

My pearls of knowledge AND more importantly intelligence which when coupled together with faith = LOVE of WISDOM (true philosophy) renders anything I state upon this forum as casting pearls to swine. 8)
socrat44

Post by socrat44 »

Age wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:33 am To me, the term or phrase 'quantum mechanics' just refers to what happens at the subatomic level, and how things work there. Which, by the way, IS absolutely CONSISTENT with what happens at the classic level, and how things work there. Although this is obviously in contradiction with the popular BELIEF, in the days when this is being written.
I agree.
Attachments
Wave-Particle.jpg
Wave-Particle.jpg (20.65 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
vegetariantaxidermy

''Quantum mechanics for people who feel like idiots''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZiwtfr ... ceFestival
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:03 pm ''Quantum mechanics for people who feel like idiots''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZiwtfr ... ceFestival
Great video so far Veg, really looking forward to learning how I can 'non-locally' punch a New Zealand grandmother in the head. :P