Trump - a puzzling enigma

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by Sculptor »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:09 pm
commonsense wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:07 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:40 pm What is 'puzzling' is why we are acting as if it's unusual for the very old and sick to die.
No, we are acting as if it is civilized and compassionate to care for the weak among us. Such is the nature of being a social animal, for all of us will be weak someday.
Pathetic virtue-signalling and emotional blackmail. That's not reality. Being a 'social animal' does not mean sacrificing the young for the old. People in aged care facilities die of colds and flu all the time. Why are we letting THAT happen?? How cruel and evil of the rest of us.
How Woke of you you bloody PC moron
Atla

Post by Atla »

commonsense wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:51 pm
Atla wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:41 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:48 pm Do yourself a favour and just spend a minute looking at this link.

https://twitter.com/lumi_1984/status/12 ... 2219063296

What is going on here?
1 Trump actually believes his own lies.
2 Trump thinks he is so smart that he can bamboozle a moderately intelligent reporter.
3 Trump is just stupid and confused applying a mindless american exceptionalism and simply cannot believe his own failure, and the failure of the USA, being the country least capbale oif dealing with the virus.
Oh look, Sculptor doesn't understand something. What are the odds
Bullshit. Stick to the subject.
I don't have to here but actually I did: if people actually understood Trump, he probably wouldn't have been elected. And are you Sculptor's dad or something?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:23 pm

No, we are acting as if it is civilized and compassionate to care for the weak among us. Such is the nature of being a social animal, for all of us will be weak someday.
Pathetic virtue-signalling and emotional blackmail. That's not reality. Being a 'social animal' does not mean sacrificing the young for the old. People in aged care facilities die of colds and flu all the time. Why are we letting THAT happen?? How cruel and evil of the rest of us.
How Woke of you you bloody PC moron
How clueless of you (as usual). It's just a shame you are like every other American--you let your politics and self-serving agenda get in the way of rational thinking.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:40 pm What is 'puzzling' is why we are acting as if it's unusual for the very old and sick to die.
We let people get colds because we can’t stop that from happening. However, we do not let them go without supporting them with oxygen and IV’s when needed. The case is similar for the flu, except that we also vaccinate people against it.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Atla wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:28 pm I don't have to here but actually I did: if people actually understood Trump, he probably wouldn't have been elected. And are you Sculptor's dad or something?
You make a good point about actually being on subject. I apologize for not recognizing this immediately.

And I don’t speak for Sculptor when I perceive, even mistakenly, that there is an ad hom directed at him. No, I speak for myself as I abhor ad hom’s on this forum and anywhere else whenever used as part of an argument.
vegetariantaxidermy

commonsense wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:58 pm

We let people get colds because we can’t stop that from happening. However, we do not let them go without supporting them with oxygen and IV’s when needed. The case is similar for the flu, except that we also vaccinate people against it.
We don't close down the planet for a percentage of the population that could just as easily die of a cold. We don't even prevent anyone with a cold from visiting aged care facilities. It makes no sense. The flu 'vaccine' is a joke. And if we have never been able to develop a vaccine for the common cold then what makes us think we will ever have one for this? It's from the group of viruses.
Atla

Post by Atla »

commonsense wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:11 pm
Atla wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:28 pm I don't have to here but actually I did: if people actually understood Trump, he probably wouldn't have been elected. And are you Sculptor's dad or something?
You make a good point about actually being on subject. I apologize for not recognizing this immediately.

And I don’t speak for Sculptor when I perceive, even mistakenly, that there is an ad hom directed at him. No, I speak for myself as I abhor ad hom’s on this forum and anywhere else whenever used as part of an argument.
Here's an ad hom (I think): are you some kind of robot?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:14 pm

We don't close down the planet for a percentage of the population that could just as easily die of a cold. We don't even prevent anyone with a cold from visiting aged care facilities. It makes no sense. The flu 'vaccine' is a joke. And if we have never been able to develop a vaccine for the common cold then what makes us think we will ever have one for this? It's from the group of viruses.
Stop being such a PC retard
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

commonsense wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:57 pm He or his team selects the graphs and “facts” he presents. He does not appear to understand all of what he says, as evidenced by the frequent need to walk back or to explain/defend his statements.
Now he will probably blame his staff for giving him indefensible graphs that don't support his delusion.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:40 pm Trump is practically a genius.
Now we know where he brain is.
In the shit hole
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

You’re right.

The one thing I will say, though, is that here we have been asking visitors to assisted living centers and nursing homes to wear a mask if they have a cold since years ago.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Atla wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:28 pm
commonsense wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:11 pm

Here's an ad hom (I think): are you some kind of robot?
No offense taken, but your question is irrelevant. 8)
vegetariantaxidermy

Sculptor wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:39 pm

Stop being such a PC retard
I think you are suffering from dementia along with all your other health problems. I'm sorry about that. You used to be quite intelligent.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:48 pm Do yourself a favour and just spend a minute looking at this link.

https://twitter.com/lumi_1984/status/12 ... 2219063296

What is going on here?
1 Trump actually believes his own lies.
2 Trump thinks he is so smart that he can bamboozle a moderately intelligent reporter.
3 Trump is just stupid and confused applying a mindless american exceptionalism and simply cannot believe his own failure, and the failure of the USA, being the country least capbale oif dealing with the virus.
That's a good question. The sad part is that there are many Americans who will applaud the man as our country just goes further and further downhill. I mean, maybe we deserve it because we've had some boneheaded warmongers like the Bush family at the helm twice.

I've sort of lost a lot of faith in a lot of my fellow Americans after this. I can't imagine how having a deluded president who spouts lies and is anti-science can help make our country a great one. MAGA probably should apply more to recovering from the Trump debacle.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:40 pm
commonsense wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:57 pm He or his team selects the graphs and “facts” he presents. He does not appear to understand all of what he says, as evidenced by the frequent need to walk back or to explain/defend his statements.
Now he will probably blame his staff for giving him indefensible graphs that don't support his delusion.
Well, I suppose it could be that Trump is an intelligent person who has surrounded himself with idiots for advice.