How to deal with a friend who thinks COVID 19 is a hoax

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Re: How to deal with a friend who thinks COVID 19 is a hoax

Post by Lacewing »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:35 pm ...
Wow. I don't know what "gang" you're talking about, or why you seem so combative, but what the fuck ever. I was asking simple questions that were worthy of consideration. The world is more than YOU. But you are apparently all you care about, so have fun with that.

I'm not advocating for anything... except maybe it would be a good idea for people who think this is a hoax to go visit a hospital and volunteer.

I'm also not a fanatic about anything. I take reasonable precautions -- and I care about other people. I have some elderly friends who I wouldn't want to pass anything along to.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:01 pm There are some of us who are likely to die were they to become infected - me for one.

I'm 57...I supposedly fall into that category
my point: likelihood ain't certainty
We really are living in the age of paranoia. I've never seen such widespread terror and fear in adults. Most people today have never faced anything really dangerous or difficult and are just not equipped to live in this dangerous scary world. I've face death four times in my life, threatened by nature, other men, and disease. I'm eighty. I'm disgusted to have to live among these wimps for whom the world is supposed come to stop because they might get a bad cold or die. I cannot even feel sorry for them.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:00 pm Look at the bright side. At least the virus is culling many of those morons. Being dead is the ultimate freedom.
And they don't complain anymore either.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:24 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:58 am Saw this and immediately thought of a couple of people here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/22/maga ... -hoax.html
What do you care? If you choose to swallow the popular view that we're all going to die unless we all wear a half-bra on our face and never hug anyone we love, those who choose not to be told what to wear, what to do, and where to go (it used to be called freedom) don't care if you want to dress up like a zombie and freak out because someone else might touch you (which used to be called paranoia).

It's a disease. Lot's of people will get it. Most will not even be sick and some will die (bad luck). Be afraid of it as much as you like and do whatever you believe you must do to protect yourself. I hope you don't get it (and you probably won't). Just don't presume to force those who do not suffer from your personal phobias to sacrifice their lives to your fears.
If you don't believe that it's a hoax designed to "control the population" then it doesn't apply to you. So why do YOU care?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:36 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:27 pm *give folks the clearest, most accurate information possible...tell a person the truth then leave 'em be to wrestle with it
And you expect this from who??? :lol: :lol:
Me? Doesn't matter to you where I get my information.

Who do you get yours from?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:52 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:01 pm There are some of us who are likely to die were they to become infected - me for one.

We really are living in the age of paranoia. I've never seen such widespread terror and fear in adults. Most people today have never faced anything really dangerous or difficult and are just not equipped to live in this dangerous scary world. I've face death four times in my life, threatened by nature, other men, and disease. I'm eighty. I'm disgusted to have to live among these wimps for whom the world is supposed come to stop because they might get a bad cold or die. I cannot even feel sorry for them.
For clarity's sake: Sculptor wrote...There are some of us who are likely to die were they to become infected - me for one....not me.

Me: I ain't afraid of a nasty cold.
Last edited by henry quirk on Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

gary: If you don't believe that it's a hoax designed to "control the population" then it doesn't apply to you. So why do YOU care?

first off: beer virus is real (it is not, however, the coronapocalypse)

second: the response and reaction to beer virus has been unbelievably over-done with elected folks oversteppin' in LARGE ways

third: I care cuz that over-wrought response & reaction & oversteppin' is screwin' my pooch

if Joe finds beer virus threatening then Joe ought to do what he needs to preserve himself...just leave me out of it...which he doesn't...which grinds my gears
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:52 pm

If you don't mind dying, then I don't understand why you mind the lockdown (EDIT or the provision to wear masks or whatever it is that you object to regarding the CDC precautions)? :?
Last edited by Gary Childress on Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:10 pm gary: If you don't believe that it's a hoax designed to "control the population" then it doesn't apply to you. So why do YOU care?

first off: beer virus is real (it is not, however, the coronapocalypse)

second: the response and reaction to beer virus has been unbelievably over-done with elected folks oversteppin' in LARGE ways

third: I care cuz that over-wrought response & reaction & oversteppin' is screwin' my pooch

if Joe finds beer virus threatening then Joe ought to do what he needs to preserve himself...just leave me out of it...which he doesn't...which grinds my gears
Again, if you don't believe the virus is a hoax, then it doesn't apply to you Henry. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

gary: I don't understand why you mind the lockdown?

mebbe cuz a free man ain't supposed to be locked down
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:16 pm gary: I don't understand why you mind the lockdown?

So he's not afraid of death but he's afraid of losing some freedom of movement?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:22 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:16 pm gary: I don't understand why you mind the lockdown?

anyone not properly outraged by bein' jailed when he's done nuthin' wrong is dead already

make no mistake: lockdowns are imprisonments
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:48 pm
Lacewing wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:36 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:27 pm *give folks the clearest, most accurate information possible...tell a person the truth then leave 'em be to wrestle with it
And you expect this from who??? :lol: :lol:
Me? Doesn't matter to you where I get my information.

Who do you get yours from?
Oh c'mon Henry... tell us where you get all of your accurate and truthful information?

I prefer PBS news once in awhile, and I take everything with a grain of salt. I don't use or listen to social media, nor am I on any bandwagons. I try to determine what makes sense, based on logic and circumstances.

You on the other hand, distribute a lot of information... so, you must be confident about your sources, yes? Surely you wouldn't be spreading one-sided misinformation just because it jerks you off and you're content to be stupid about it. :wink:
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:38 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:22 pm

anyone not properly outraged by bein' jailed when he's done nuthin' wrong is dead already

make no mistake: lockdowns are imprisonments
All this over a CDC lockdown. And we're not in a lockdown situation anymore. It was a temporary measure. Now people are simply being asked to wear masks--which you seem to object to as well. Is wearing a mask the same as being imprisoned?
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:49 pm Wow. I don't know what "gang" you're talking about, ...
Sure you do. It's the, "we," you referred to:
What are we supposed to do when our infrastructure ...
Lacewing wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:49 pm ... or why you seem so combative, but what the fuck ever.
I'm sorry if I offended your tender sensibilities. I could have given some wishy-washy nice answer, I suppose, but mistakenly thought you'd appreciate frankness. I'll know better next time.
Lacewing wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:49 pm I was asking simple questions that were worthy of consideration.
Well it was a little more than that. Your questions pertained to my statement:
It's a disease. Lot's of people will get it. Most will not even be sick and some will die (bad luck). Be afraid of it as much as you like and do whatever you believe you must do to protect yourself. I hope you don't get it (and you probably won't). Just don't presume to force those who do not suffer from your personal phobias to sacrifice their lives to your fears.

And your first question was:
What do you suggest be done about the overflowing hospitals and medical supply shortages because too many people are needing treatment all at once?
Which presumes I have some obligation to even think about a supposed problem that has nothing to do with me.
Lacewing wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:49 pm The world is more than YOU.
Of course. It's more than any individual, you, me, or anyone else.
Lacewing wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:49 pm But you are apparently all you care about, so have fun with that.
I care about great many people, but I'm very selective. I do not care at all about those who live at other's expense or harm others in any way or interfere in others lives. I only care about those who deal with others rationally and without the use of force, who have something of value to offer and are truly benevolent to one another.
Lacewing wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:49 pm I'm not advocating for anything... except maybe it would be a good idea for people who think this is a hoax to go visit a hospital and volunteer.
You certainly fooled me. I could have sworn you were advocating something when you wrote:
What are we supposed to do when our infrastructure cannot support the populations that rely on it?
Lacewing wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:49 pm I'm also not a fanatic about anything. I take reasonable precautions -- and I care about other people. I have some elderly friends who I wouldn't want to pass anything along to.
That's good.