The paradox of my life.

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

HexHammer

Re: The paradox of my life.

Post by HexHammer »

Harbal wrote:I am quite capable. On philosophy forums
LoOOLLOlaOALLOlOAIWERUOSDFL!§!!!!!! I've seen many weird and absurd postulates here on the forum, but this might take it all!!!
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

thedoc wrote:It's odd that some people can say whatever they want and get away with it, while I have learned that both in face to face and on line, I need to be careful what I say or post. There are people who get really upset, and abusive about it.
It's all about definitions doc!

What is abuse?
What is careful?
What is upset?
What is 'get away with?'

Now for a few you never mentioned:

What is sensitivity?
What is understanding?
What is ignorance?
What is empathy?
What is compassion?
What is teaching?
What is learning?

My point is that there are degrees of each one, where any particular individual draws a line, so as to say, "that's enough or too much." These lines that we each separately draw are relative to the pain we've each experienced as children, where it marred our perspective. Often these scars are not even realized, psychology tells us that some hide these things on purpose because of how horrible they are to remember. So how then can one deal with that which has been repressed. And no it's not just those that are way too far gone, but those seemingly normal, that just reacted in a different way, still leaving character flaws that can offend.

The bottom line, humans are just imperfect animals, most often not of their own making.

We only have limited freewill, bound by determinism.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Perhaps I'm more of a pacifist than I realize, but I tend to avoid conflict. If I can say what I think and someone will agree or disagree in a civil manner, I will continue. But when the exchange gets abusive or personal, I will just walk away and forget the whole thing, and usually not respond to that poster again, assuming that I have not put them on ignore.

The one thing I have a real problem with is when someone will post something that I know is not true, and i'm not referring to an opinion, an opinion is not something worth arguing about.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

HexHammer wrote:
Harbal wrote:I am quite capable. On philosophy forums
LoOOLLOlaOALLOlOAIWERUOSDFL!§!!!!!! I've seen many weird and absurd postulates here on the forum, but this might take it all!!!
Well I think your creative editing might account for that, Hexhamster.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

HexHammer wrote:LoOOLLOlaOALLOlOAIWERUOSDFL!§!!!!!!
What the hell does this mean? Have you lost the ability to speak in words, or are you having a seizure?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Lacewing wrote:
HexHammer wrote:LoOOLLOlaOALLOlOAIWERUOSDFL!§!!!!!!
What the hell does this mean? Have you lost the ability to speak in words, or are you having a seizure?
Yes.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Lacewing wrote: What the hell does this mean? Have you lost the ability to speak in words, or are you having a seizure?
Don't be unkind, Lacewing, that makes perfect sense where Hexhamster comes from. Just be grateful that it doesn't make sense to you. :)
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

thedoc wrote:Perhaps I'm more of a pacifist than I realize, but I tend to avoid conflict. If I can say what I think and someone will agree or disagree in a civil manner, I will continue. But when the exchange gets abusive or personal, I will just walk away and forget the whole thing, and usually not respond to that poster again, assuming that I have not put them on ignore.

The one thing I have a real problem with is when someone will post something that I know is not true, and i'm not referring to an opinion, an opinion is not something worth arguing about.
I hear you, and largely the way you react is a direct reflection of things that you experienced as a child. The problem is that psychology tells us that 90% of our psyches are created in our first year of life. A time that many can't recall at all. Then the remaining 10% is created during the following 4 years, meaning that our psyches are complete by age 5. It's easy to see what the problem is. It's our inability to later rationalize those instances of extreme fear that some experienced in those first 5 years. Sure there are lucky ones that experienced no such fears. Yet in light of all this we largely fight one another due to all this, such that we often blame each other for that which none of us had any control over.

Here, I'll call you stupid because unknown to me as a child you ate lead paint, or was exposed to other chemicals under the sink, etc, etc, etc! Or I'll exclude you from the group for the same reasons.

True story, my wife is blind in one eye, when she was 4 years old (during that psyche forming time) her 8 year old sister put an apple on her head, and used the BB gun that her father allowed her to 'play' with at the age of 8, to try and shoot the apple. Instead the BB hit my wife in the eye shattering her retina, ripping the iris away from the white covering the pupil. Her brain tried to adjust for the eyes not focusing together, which made her cross-eyed. Of course she was ostracized from the group, exiled through no fault of her own, damaged for being damaged, insult to injury! It's scarred her to this very day. No fault of her own, she's different than she would have been if it had not happened. So lets burn her at the stake! So the problem amongst people is their IGNORANCE of things others have had to endure, that we add insult to their injury. And of course what do you expect form those that have been trodden on by the lucky ones, their entire life?

And 'love lies bleeding in my hands!'
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

Harbal wrote:In real life I am a nobody, even though, in many respects, I am quite capable.
On philosophy forums I seem to be a somebody, even though I know fuck all about philosophy.
It's a funny old world.
Well you are lucky then. In real life I am a nobody and in many respects I am quite incapable. The rest, I am just about okay at. But I can say fuck you to Darwin. I am the guy that broke his law of survival of the fittest. :D
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

sthitapragya wrote:
Harbal wrote:In real life I am a nobody, even though, in many respects, I am quite capable.
On philosophy forums I seem to be a somebody, even though I know fuck all about philosophy.
It's a funny old world.
Well you are lucky then. In real life I am a nobody and in many respects I am quite incapable. The rest, I am just about okay at. But I can say fuck you to Darwin. I am the guy that broke his law of survival of the fittest. :D
If you've had viable progeny then you have selective advantage if not, then you are an evolutionary backwater.
There is no aside from that.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
sthitapragya wrote:
It's a funny old world.
If you've had viable progeny then you have selective advantage if not, then you are an evolutionary backwater.
Oh yeah. I have two kids. So lets see how that works out.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

It's a funny old world.
Join the club lol!
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

sthitapragya wrote:
It's a funny old world.
You're in the club too. :wink:
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

sthitapragya wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
sthitapragya wrote: Well you are lucky then. In real life I am a nobody and in many respects I am quite incapable. The rest, I am just about okay at. But I can say fuck you to Darwin. I am the guy that broke his law of survival of the fittest. :D
So you have achieved natural selection; what's your problem?
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
sthitapragya wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
So you have achieved natural selection; what's your problem?
I have no problem whatsoever at all of any kind.