At-home winemaking

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: At-home winemaking

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:I'm really horrified to learn that this guy was alive in the 1950s. I'd excused his ignorance and weirdness believing to be YOUNG: a kid on too much sensi, or never having eaten real food. - with hope left to reform and repair.
Now I learn he's just an old alcoholic.
:lol: And a bee and snail killer to boot.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:I'm really horrified to learn that this guy was alive in the 1950s. I'd excused his ignorance and weirdness believing to be YOUNG: a kid on too much sensi, or never having eaten real food. - with hope left to reform and repair.
And a Trump-sucker.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Far be it from me to knock a man's hobby but I think the term a 'good wine' with respect to a home-brew is a bit of a stretch. A good wine is a Premier cru and a Grand Cru is a great wine, preferably a Pomerol, Chambertin. or Saint-Émilion :)
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

yiostheoy wrote:...

You need to find yourself a girl mate -- as Johnny Depp would say in Pirates Of The Caribbean.
And make sure you don't have a vat in the sink when you bring her home. :)
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Arising_uk wrote:Far be it from me to knock a man's hobby but I think the term a 'good wine' with respect to a home-brew is a bit of a stretch. A good wine is a Premier cru and a Grand Cru is a great wine, preferably a Pomerol, Chambertin. or Saint-Émilion :)
You can dump the French stuff for my money I'd rather have a good Nero D'avola, crude, primitive and packs a flavour punch. Or a good Spanish Red like Rioja for similar reasons.

In the 1980s, with Thatcher's Britain throwing so many of us on the dole I used to make lots and lots of wine. I mean 100s of gallons by the time 20 years had past and I'd traded my life in Sussex for a smallholding in Wales to go off grid. There was also a certain amount of 'budding prospects' in the greenhouse too, which helped me through my adult ed, degree and post grad work.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:You can dump the French stuff for my money I'd rather have a good Nero D'avola, crude, primitive and packs a flavour punch. Or a good Spanish Red like Rioja for similar reasons. ...
Not knocking them but with respect to money I have the advantage of a French partner and her dad's wine cellar and buying which means cheap good and great wines(not the ones I mentioned) without the bloody British govt tax.
In the 1980s, with Thatcher's Britain throwing so many of us on the dole I used to make lots and lots of wine. I mean 100s of gallons by the time 20 years had past and I'd traded my life in Sussex for a smallholding in Wales to go off grid. There was also a certain amount of 'budding prospects' in the greenhouse too, which helped me through my adult ed, degree and post grad work.
:) Thinking of making a budding pension pot in a few years, still got some buying contacts.
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

Arising_uk wrote:Far be it from me to knock a man's hobby but I think the term a 'good wine' with respect to a home-brew is a bit of a stretch. A good wine is a Premier cru and a Grand Cru is a great wine, preferably a Pomerol, Chambertin. or Saint-Émilion :)
You would be surprised by all the chemicals and crap used in market wines.

Making your own tastes much better. I found that out quite by surprise.

The only disadvantage of making your own is the equipment you need and the labor that goes into it.

But once you have the equipment then that burden is over.

And once you get into a routine for doing the work it then goes fast.

I can have a batch of mash ready to start fermenting in about an hour's time, not counting the waiting while the boiled liquids are in the fridge cooling.
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Well boys will be boys and they do kill a lot of things as they themselves are growing up. I have actually thought about that a lot.

I try not to kill anything anymore other than mosquitoes, ticks, and fleas.

Mosquitoes kill more people than any other animal does except for mankind themselves during major wars such as WW1 and WW2.

Fleas are probably in 2nd place with plague.

Here in the USA there are several tick diseases as well. Our hills are crawling with fleas and ticks, and the air is generally full of mosquitoes.

Of course being a meat eater I am also indirectly responsible for the meat slaughtering industry -- in my case steers, calves, pigs, lambs, and chickens. I have minimized the lamb consumption to once each year only -- strictly a religious ritual on Easter Thursday. That has nothing to do with Philosophy or Science -- it is strictly a Religion rite.

The other meats I do eat daily but in minimum proportions and without any waste.

Fish and sea food are still guilt free foods for me. There is not the same guilt level as with mammals and birds.

My cat on the other hand kills and eats animals with gusto and without guilt.

Killing is an interesting impulse. For my cat and for little boys it seems irresistible and they relish it.

I think vegetarians deserve respect for their food decisions, however to efficiently produce food from every square acre of Earth we need to consume some meats as well, such as goat, sheep, fish, chicken, and seafoods. And beef and veal are natural by-products of the dairy industry and should not be wasted.

A good home made wine goes well with any of these foods.
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

Arising_uk wrote:

You need to find yourself a girl mate -- as Johnny Depp would say in Pirates Of The Caribbean.
And make sure you don't have a vat in the sink when you bring her home. :)
One particular date asked me what venison tastes like, so I made her a dinner of venison stir fry, with sweet peppers, made with a red wine sauce, red potatoes and grilled cherry tomatoes. We had market red wine with that dinner, because it was before I started home brewing.

She loved the food so much she stayed all weekend long for the leftovers. We only had to briefly buzz by her home for her to get some changes of clothing -- panties and bra and sox etc.

I usually have 1 vat of wine mash fermenting now at any given time. After the volcanic phase I can move it out of the sink and over to the corner of the counter top. Fruit wines normally take 2 to 3 weeks to ferment. At first their aroma is like candy because of the high sugar content -- 6 cups per gallon of mash. Then it changes to beer-like as the sugar is consumed and the yeasts proliferate. Then it changes again to a wine-like fragrance as the yeasts die off. Once the air lock stops breathing, then it is time to siphon the wine from the mash and pasteurize it on the stove top.

So in other words if a date likes hunted venison she would likely also love home brewed wine.

Q.E.D.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Good God, yiostheoy, once you get started you just don't know when to stop. I'd hate to come across you in person, I bet you could talk the hind leg off a fucking donkey.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Arising_uk wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:You can dump the French stuff for my money I'd rather have a good Nero D'avola, crude, primitive and packs a flavour punch. Or a good Spanish Red like Rioja for similar reasons. ...
Not knocking them but with respect to money I have the advantage of a French partner and her dad's wine cellar and buying which means cheap good and great wines(not the ones I mentioned) without the bloody British govt tax.
:) Thinking of making a budding pension pot in a few years, still got some buying contacts.
Take care with that!
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

yiostheoy wrote:
You would be surprised by all the chemicals and crap used in market wines..
Generally real wine is made with grapes, and nothing else.
I know you get lots of shit in everything in the USA, with the FDA underfunded and in the pockets of big business, but in Europe I think things are much better.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Harbal wrote:Good God, yiostheoy, once you get started you just don't know when to stop. I'd hate to come across you in person, I bet you could talk the hind leg off a fucking donkey.
Would that be a fucking ass in the USA??

Yiostheoy, after all that wine, is probably his own legless ass!!!
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

Hobbes' Choice, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

I can have a batch of mash ready to start fermenting in about an hour's time, not counting the waiting while the boiled liquids are in the fridge cooling.
Mmmm! Sounds lovely.