The Conscious Mind by David Chalmers

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

HexHammer

Re: The Conscious Mind by David Chalmers

Post by HexHammer »

Ginkgo wrote:Chalmers is a property dualist and this means he agrees that the world consists one type of substance- physical substances. However, he claims that the physical brain can be explained in terms of mental properties and physical properties. In other words, one type of substance with two distinct properties.This is in opposition to the materialists/physicalists who claim that mental phenomena can be explained in physical terms.
The distinction Chalmers makes is exemplified in his famous easy problem of consciousness and the hard problem of conscious.

This is not a critique, rather it is a brief summary of Chalmers' position in relation to consciousness.
I'm sorry, but this explain exactly nothing and why I claim he's a charlatan that fools very naive and simple minded people!
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

HexHammer wrote:
Ginkgo wrote:Chalmers is a property dualist and this means he agrees that the world consists one type of substance- physical substances. However, he claims that the physical brain can be explained in terms of mental properties and physical properties. In other words, one type of substance with two distinct properties.This is in opposition to the materialists/physicalists who claim that mental phenomena can be explained in physical terms.
The distinction Chalmers makes is exemplified in his famous easy problem of consciousness and the hard problem of conscious.

This is not a critique, rather it is a brief summary of Chalmers' position in relation to consciousness.
I'm sorry, but this explain exactly nothing and why I claim he's a charlatan that fools very naive and simple minded people!
In all honesty, property dualism is not that difficult to understand.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Ginkgo wrote:
HexHammer wrote:In all honesty, property dualism is not that difficult to understand.
Then you need to explain what is dualistic about all his long babble, you just can't say something is "dualistic" without specifying the dualistic properties!

Big Bang Theory can be boiled down to "an explosion that started the universe"

Evolutionary Theory boils down to "Survival of the fittest"

What points does David Chalmers bring?!?! ..NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

HexHammer wrote:
Ginkgo wrote:
HexHammer wrote:In all honesty, property dualism is not that difficult to understand.
Then you need to explain what is dualistic about all his long babble, you just can't say something is "dualistic" without specifying the dualistic properties!

Big Bang Theory can be boiled down to "an explosion that started the universe"

Evolutionary Theory boils down to "Survival of the fittest"

What points does David Chalmers bring?!?! ..NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dualism and properties can be easily explained. A mental coin can be said to have dual properties. For example, the properties of shininess and roundness. In a similar way property dualism can be a physical substance with physical properties and mental properties. One kind of substance with two kinds of properties I can't make it any simpler than that.

Scholarly reception

The Conscious Mind has been reviewed in many journals including Foundations of Physics,[3] Psychological Medicine,[4] Mind,[5] The Journal of Mind and Behavior,[2] and Australian Review of Books.[6] wikipedia

Not a bad reading list for a guy who talks nonsense and babble.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Ginkgo wrote:Dualism and properties can be easily explained. A mental coin can be said to have dual properties. For example, the properties of shininess and roundness. In a similar way property dualism can be a physical substance with physical properties and mental properties. One kind of substance with two kinds of properties I can't make it any simpler than that.

Scholarly reception

The Conscious Mind has been reviewed in many journals including Foundations of Physics,[3] Psychological Medicine,[4] Mind,[5] The Journal of Mind and Behavior,[2] and Australian Review of Books.[6] wikipedia

Not a bad reading list for a guy who talks nonsense and babble.
Thanks for basic schooling lessons, but I know very well the meaning of the words, but my point is WHAT "properties" and "dualistic" points do he make!!!!!
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhRhtFFhNzQ

See here he makes a speech on TED, it's nothing but questions no answers, and lots of circular reasoning for very very stupid people!
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

HexHammer wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhRhtFFhNzQ

See here he makes a speech on TED, it's nothing but questions no answers, and lots of circular reasoning for very very stupid people!
When it comes to philosophy of mind there are many questions that remain unanswerable. Have another look at the video and give me an example of circular reasoning.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Give it a break, Hex. I think people have got the point that you have a low opinion of this particular Professor of Philosophy at the Australian National University. However, you have provided no reasoning, just emotional outbursts.

What is your reasoning?
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

He starts off saying the list of things that consciousness are like pain, hunger, memories, orgasms, I wouldn't say that memories in itself are consciousness, since then a hard drive on a computer are consciousness, which is nonsense, and neither does neurologists describe memories as consciousness, but through our consciousness we can access memories and store new experiences.

Orgasms can be achieved on a headless bodies, but the mind can experience orgasms, thus again and again he's just babbling random incoherent things that you fools fall flat on your faces for!

Read some more science instead of being mislead by blatant charlatans!
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

HexHammer wrote:He starts off saying the list of things that consciousness are like pain, hunger, memories, orgasms, I wouldn't say that memories in itself are consciousness, since then a hard drive on a computer are consciousness, which is nonsense, and neither does neurologists describe memories as consciousness, but through our consciousness we can access memories and store new experiences.

Orgasms can be achieved on a headless bodies, but the mind can experience orgasms, thus again and again he's just babbling random incoherent things that you fools fall flat on your faces for!

Read some more science instead of being mislead by blatant charlatans!

Firstly. let's get this out of the way before I respond respond to your other comments. You said that Chalmers uses circular reasoning. I am still waiting for you to give me an example of his circular reasoning
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Ginkgo wrote:Firstly. let's get this out of the way before I respond respond to your other comments. You said that Chalmers uses circular reasoning. I am still waiting for you to give me an example of his circular reasoning
This is exactly why I hate making a full thesis, since cozy chatter never comprehend very very simple things. It's a question of lack of basic intellect which I can't help, sorry buddy.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

HexHammer wrote:This is exactly why I hate making a full thesis, since cozy chatter never comprehend very very simple things. It's a question of lack of basic intellect which I can't help, sorry buddy.

No need for a full thesis, just an example of Chalmers' circular reasoning. I am still waiting.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Ginkgo wrote:
HexHammer wrote:This is exactly why I hate making a full thesis, since cozy chatter never comprehend very very simple things. It's a question of lack of basic intellect which I can't help, sorry buddy.

No need for a full thesis, just an example of Chalmers' circular reasoning. I am still waiting.
I just did! Do you actually know what circular reasoning is?!?!?
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

If you mean the below then there is nothing circular here. It is just a commentary on the video.
HexHammer wrote:He starts off saying the list of things that consciousness are like pain, hunger, memories, orgasms, I wouldn't say that memories in itself are consciousness, since then a hard drive on a computer are consciousness, which is nonsense, and neither does neurologists describe memories as consciousness, but through our consciousness we can access memories and store new experiences.
It is pretty obvious that you have no idea what circular reasoning is. I shall explain in terms you can understand. Circular reasoning is assuming what you are trying to prove. For example, Bob Evenson is divinely inspired. How do we know? Because the Ouzo prophecy says he is. How do we know the Ouzo prophecy is reliable? Because it was written by Bob Evenson who is divinely inspired.

P.S. If you are really interested in criticizing people who talk nonsense and babble why don't you attack Bob Evenson's posts? He talks nothing but nonsense and babble.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Ginkgo wrote:If you mean the below then there is nothing circular here. It is just a commentary on the video.
It is pretty obvious that you have no idea what circular reasoning is. I shall explain in terms you can understand. Circular reasoning is assuming what you are trying to prove. For example, Bob Evenson is divinely inspired. How do we know? Because the Ouzo prophecy says he is. How do we know the Ouzo prophecy is reliable? Because it was written by Bob Evenson who is divinely inspired.

P.S. If you are really interested in criticizing people who talk nonsense and babble why don't you attack Bob Evenson's posts? He talks nothing but nonsense and babble.
What you are talking about is when it's spelled out and very very obvious circular reasoning, but you my good Ginkgo can't detect it when it's more subtle!