Where Do You See Yourself In 10 Years

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

artisticsolution

Re: Where Do You See Yourself In 10 Years

Post by artisticsolution »

Skip wrote:A banana, a bran muffin and a glass of milk make a good healthy start to the day.
Not for a diabetic. Those are all full of sugar. A lollipop has less sugar. Or should I say carbs? Carbs / sugar is all the same in diabetic lingo
Skip

Post by Skip »

Diabetics still need carbohydrates - 60% or so of the daily calorie intake - and they should have the complex, starchy foods early, rather than late in the day, to even out the processing of simple sugars. Banana and skim milk early in the morning supplies calcium, potassium and protein. I get the small plain muffins from the grocery store - 22-27 carbs apiece - not the huge, raisiny ones from the coffee shop. This, at mid-morning, still leaves allowance for one or two slices of toast (dark rye or multigrain) at lunch, half an apple or handful of grapes with mid-afternoon snack and a small potato or cob of corn at early dinner; the evening snack should be cheese or something heavy on the protein and fat, to mitigate the liver's tendency to release sugar during the night.
I've been doing this for eleven years - with pretty fair success.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Skip wrote:Diabetics still need carbohydrates - 60% or so of the daily calorie intake - and they should have the complex, starchy foods early, rather than late in the day, to even out the processing of simple sugars. Banana and skim milk early in the morning supplies calcium, potassium and protein. I get the small plain muffins from the grocery store - 22-27 carbs apiece - not the huge, raisiny ones from the coffee shop. This, at mid-morning, still leaves allowance for one or two slices of toast (dark rye or multigrain) at lunch, half an apple or handful of grapes with mid-afternoon snack and a small potato or cob of corn at early dinner; the evening snack should be cheese or something heavy on the protein and fat, to mitigate the liver's tendency to release sugar during the night.
I've been doing this for eleven years - with pretty fair success.
Good to know...I was doing it in reverse...protein in the morn...Sans the bran muffin...eww!

Not a potato or corn fan unless it's hominy....but let's me guess...hominy is a no no...lol
Skip

Post by Skip »

You don't necessarily have to give up anything completely. You need to limit portions, spread out the "bad" foods, so there is lots of leafy greens and lean tofu in between, and couple your bad-carb intake with an appropriate amount of exercise. That's why they say get your muffin or bagel early in the day: so that you're physically active an hour or two after, so you use it up as it's being released into the bloodstream, instead of storing it for inactive periods.
It's a bitch, but it can be made to work - you just have to think about every bite, every minute.

(And they call economics the dismal science!)
Green

Post by Green »

Skip wrote:I picture me younger in my head, too. To avoid reflective surfaces, I don't even wash the car. In real life, I'm closing in on 70; my partner is a year older and way more crotchety. I'm in pretty fair health right now - but a silly accident in early May taught me that living in the country when your legs don't work properly is impractical: I was damn near useless all though planting and landscaping season; couldn't do the house-painting I'd planned or bring the firewood in on schedule. We're okay now, but in the next ten years, neither of us can expect to improve, physically or mentally.
I'm 37 and when looking into the mirror, other than the obvious physical changes, still see myself as 18 and feel this way too. I've matured since 18 sure, but I'm still ME. How much different do you feel in your late 70s as opposed to your late 30s other than physically, if you don't mind me asking? I mean, are you still YOU? It's a bizarre question, just not sure how to word it properly.

re: In 10yrs I'll be doing the exact same thing: absolutely nothing. Still trying to prove people wrong online, because clearly they are. Still drinking on the weekends, eating a few mushrooms when the time is right, wasting money or trivial BS and yelling at politicians on television. Not a bad life, y'all.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Green wrote: I'm 37 and when looking into the mirror, other than the obvious physical changes, still see myself as 18 and feel this way too. I've matured since 18 sure, but I'm still ME. How much different do you feel in your late 70s as opposed to your late 30s other than physically, if you don't mind me asking? I mean, are you still YOU? It's a bizarre question, just not sure how to word it properly.
I'm only 69, but that's all right - some mornings, some body parts feel way older. For me, there has been no discontinuity or personality change since I can remember - which is quite clearly to about 4 years old, the odd scene or event from earlier. I've always been the same person, though I've had a dozen discreet lives - kind of like a series of short stories, each in a different setting, but all with the same protagonist, connecting up to form a novel. I've sometimes heard people say: "I was a different person then..." or "It's like that happened to someone else..." and can't imagine what that's like: I've never felt that way. I can look back on any time in my life and re-live it from the inside. Rooms, streets, meadows, highways come back sharp and clear; I could probably find my way from every house I've ever lived in to the appropriate school or workplace. Not so much names or numbers - and I'm not at all sure I could ride a bicycle again. But people, situations and events, yes. Can't distance myself from or deny even the stupidest, most ill-judged, most embarrassing things I've done. Sheesh, I still cringe at a boast I made in Grade 5, just before getting my ass kicked by the other kid. I can repeat, almost word for word, stories my grandmother told me and recall the names of long-dead people I've never even met. Needless to say, the specter of Alzheimer's terrifies me. But I probably won't live long enough.
Skip

Post by Skip »

For a different POV, Ian Brown wrote a book titled "Me, Only Older".
Green

Post by Green »

Skip wrote:I'm only 69, but that's all right - some mornings, some body parts feel way older. .
Sorry bout that, I meant late 60s.
Skip wrote:kind of like a series of short stories, each in a different setting, but all with the same protagonist, connecting up to form a novel.
That's an interesting way to put it. Ha, I feel the same.