Words Are To A Philosopher -

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

Re: Words Are To A Philosopher -

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Thank you. I concur 100% with you and your findings. Thank you for being a voice that has independently found this relevant information.

Now I join the rest of the entire active membership in demanding that this illogical word be completely stricken from our philosophical discussions upon ALL of the Philosophy Now Forum categories, threads, & posts.

Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

Thank you. I concur 100% with you and your findings. Thank you for being a voice that has independently found this relevant information.

Now I join the rest of the entire active membership in demanding that this illogical word be completely stricken from our philosophical discussions upon ALL of the Philosophy Now Forum categories, threads, & posts.

The rest of the membership doesn't agree that this word be stricken from philosophical discussions. I am with Arising on this one. The idea, if not the word is appropriate to individuals who think they can largely ignore knowledge that has been accumulated over the centuries by some of the greatest minds that ever lived. Why?... because THEY have discovered some type of "ultimate truth" or "real knowledge" that somehow makes everything else that has gone before irrelevant or meaningless.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Wait ...wat? Lemmie get this straight...You take this horrible, ugly, non-word and YOU determine that word means this:

individuals who think they can largely ignore knowledge that has been accumulated over the centuries by some of the greatest minds that ever lived because THEY have discovered some type of "ultimate truth" or "real knowledge" that somehow makes everything else that has gone before irrelevant or meaningless.

WHERE in the FUCK did YOU get that???!?!?

PLEASE tell us -

WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:
Wait ...wat? Lemmie get this straight...You take this horrible, ugly, non-word and YOU determine that word means this:

individuals who think they can largely ignore knowledge that has been accumulated over the centuries by some of the greatest minds that ever lived because THEY have discovered some type of "ultimate truth" or "real knowledge" that somehow makes everything else that has gone before irrelevant or meaningless.

PLEASE tell us -
Don't mind the bollocks, Bill. It's not worth worrying about a label.
Last edited by WanderingLands on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

PLEASE tell us -

Another thing that has been discovered over time is that quote mining, or quoting out of context is wrong. If you included my complete quote it would read... THE IDEA IF NOT THE WORD
uwot

Post by uwot »

Just to remind you, Poor Bill; you think you can redefine what the word 'philosophy' means.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Oui my head hurts. So NOW you are saying the idea NOT the word means:

WHAT. PLANET. ARE. YOU. ON???

PLEASE tell me you are kidding...

uwot

Post by uwot »

Poor Bill, do you think words exist independently of ideas?
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

Oui my head hurts. So NOW you are saying the idea NOT the word means:

Not exactly. You left out the word "if" from my quote.

see uwot's post above. Words express ideas or concepts.

Bill if my post(s) offended you then I apologize. Obviously I was insensitive.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I'm not offended
at all.

Matter of fact, you hit the nail on the head as far as interpreting this thread. Well done.

Words written by philosophers are their weak points. Their shell of fiction.

Philosophy, real philosophical insight, is not expressed but is experienced.

So, everything you & I know is wrong.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

NielsBohr wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU
Gnu is Not Unix.

Bill,

I think he cannot bring formally the definition (as I did above), moreover because nobody knows what is the first "Gnu".
It was a Wildebeest.
Sciences students are originally goos at playing with words - unfortunately, this example - recursive on himself - does not extract the truth of its premise.
Humanities and Science me. Show me how my definition does not extract the truth of its premise?
To tell all:
  1. First of all, we had Multics - an excellent american project, which was about to unify processor, short-lived memory, and mass memory.
  2. But the preceding project was aborted. Then, another - Unix - which brought the MacIntosh, among others, to be schematic.
By the sentence, "Gnu" - a bunch of desperate people - claim against its will that it is similar to Unix (to bring the excellent reputation of the Mac), although different.
Not quite, the point of GNU was to be free of any proprietary software, completely free software, it has no Unix code in it and its packages have been Linux ported to many operating systems such as Solaris, Mac OS X and MS Windows. Stallman is not a 'desperate person' but a software genius and idealist of the highest order and his GPL and FSF are great achievements.
After all, we could say that the first Gnu is the animal (symbol of the association).
Like I said.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

I'm not offended
at all.

Matter of fact, you hit the nail on the head as far as interpreting this thread. Well done.

Words written by philosophers are their weak points. Their shell of fiction.

So, everything you & I know is wrong.

Well, not always wrong, but certainly subject to continual revision.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

As pen, ink and paper are to a scribe.

not exactly a quotable there by me, but it's true. :)

Could of said the printing press but meh that's not a scribe that's a printer, the scribe probably had to go to one of those retraining, dull ass meetings with the boss talking bingo bollocks around the guy trying to explain this new wonder, or winking and nodding suggestively like he just got a tick. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDebN3XRN90

Sigh*

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/clips/p00cc ... ing_press/

Didn't get the memo obviously. ;)
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:...
Funny how you keep using words?

“Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”
Aldous Huxley.
So, everything you & I know is wrong.[/size]
Including this?
Bill Wiltrack wrote:...
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:Now I join the rest of the entire active membership in demanding that this illogical word be completely stricken from our philosophical discussions upon ALL of the Philosophy Now Forum categories, threads, & posts.[/size]
Show me O Gnu where the "rest of the entire active membership" demands such a thing? That you speak thus is a sign of the gnu.