Christian Civilization -- The Central Issue

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Alexis Jacobi

Re: Christian Civilization -- The Central Issue

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:16 am You're arguing that something is needed and this is it. This isn't a blog where you share interesting ideas. It's a philosophy forum where people suggest X is true. You have been suggesting that we, the US perhaps Europe need Christianity to treat/reduce/elminate the current decadence/sickness. We don't need to call that proselytizing. I wouldn't anyway. But you're asserting it, arguing for it. That idea will get criticism. It's your idea, you believe that.
Truthfully, what the forum •is• (the way things are conducted) is really its own specific, distinct and odd thing.

You, and so many others, seek out territories and topics for extended expressions of your opposition. It is (to me) very tiresome. So I simply side-step the invitation. Yet that too seems to infuriate!

I have written so much about my sense of what renovation at a spiritual level is that I simply do not feel inclined to write it out again.
You're arguing that something is needed and this is it.
I am definitely interested in the subject and in understanding what “it” is.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:13 pm From the Catholic Christian perspective, what you are referring to as Grace, is not.
Yes, I understand they use that terminology and have a kind of dualism.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:35 pm
Harbal wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:28 pm
attofishpi wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:17 pm

You believe there is NOTHING plausible within your comprehension of science and reality for any "supernatural" event to occur, such as a glass of water to form instantly into wine?
Glasses of water suddenly becoming glasses of wine is just wishful thinking, Fishy. How would the water even know what sort of wine to turn into? :?
It's a doddle for the entity most call God. Not wishful thinking. FFS how much cumulative evidence need I provide?
No cumulative evidence is needed; just one instance would be adequate. The day I put a glass of water onto the table and it spontaneously becomes wine, is the day I will start to believe it. 🍷 🤔
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Belinda wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:07 pm However what you suggest is not the whole of what I believe. I also believe a lot of positives, most of which I explained three posts ago. Again, I claim it is possible to be a Christian without believing that supernatural events happened.
Oddly, that path leads directly to the destruction of the religious possibility. It becomes ethics and socio-economics.

The very idea of the Incarnation is where the supernatural element is located. Do away with that, and what you call Christianity falls to the ground.

The issue (here) is that the •supernatural• is no longer something — like yourself — can believe in. So it all has to be described in other terms.

The force and strength of your materialist belief (naturalism) blocks out the entire realm if what is meant by •the supernatural•
Last edited by Alexis Jacobi on Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:30 pm It's one of the many reasons that Christianity will always unravel.
Christianity, at the world level (with Pentecostalism mainly) is surging forward powerfully. Especially in the global south. [/quote]I'm not saying it's going away. But isn't the global south, when there is money and access, decadent, filled with decay, buffeted around by corporations, foreign governments, the same media distracting and profaning (by Catholic standards) the West?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:02 pm

The very idea of the Incarnation is where the supernatural element is located. Do away with that, and what you call Christianity falls to the ground.
What puzzles me is how it ever got off the ground in the first place. 🤔
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:01 pm
Harbal wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:28 pm

Glasses of water suddenly becoming glasses of wine is just wishful thinking, Fishy. How would the water even know what sort of wine to turn into? :?
It's a doddle for the entity most call God. Not wishful thinking. FFS how much cumulative evidence need I provide?
No cumulative evidence is needed; just one instance would be adequate. The day I put a glass of water onto the table and it spontaneously becomes wine, is the day I will start to believe it. 🍷 🤔
..and therein lies the catch 22 of it. U want the proof without what was asked of you, some faith.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:04 pm
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:02 pm

The seed of Christianity required witnesses not faith.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:02 pm But isn't the global south, when there is money and access, decadent, filled with decay, buffeted around by corporations, foreign governments, the same media distracting and profaning (by Catholic standards) the West?
All of that is true, it seems to me (and here I am: in the Global South seeing it first hand).

I am interested in Dawson’s perspective. And I am reading within those •strict• treatises where the innards of Catholic doctrine is expressed. And Catholic social and economic doctrine has a great deal to say about the negative •outcomes• in our mutually observed present.

Catholicism, as I am understanding it, is a holistic structure. A fusion of supernaturalism with humanist social policy. It is not to be discarded so easily, despite criticisms (and yours certainly).
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Harbal wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:04 pm
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:02 pm The very idea of the Incarnation is where the supernatural element is located. Do away with that, and what you call Christianity falls to the ground.
You mean got to the ground, don’t you?

Huar huar huar!
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:06 pm

..and therein lies the catch 22 of it. U want the proof without what was asked of you, some faith.
I don't actually want anything; it's the person who is asking me to believe something completely implausible that wants something. It's not my job to do anything, it's theirs.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

In the spirit of conciliation and compromise I will allow leprechauns if you will allow that •a prayer is sometimes answered•.

But no answered prayers, no damned leprechauns — and that is non-negotiable!
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:51 pm Truthfully, what the forum •is• (the way things are conducted) is really its own specific, distinct and odd thing.
Sure, it's weird, but not about responding to people's presentation of their ideas, trying to understand and yes often critique them. The way that's done here can be very weird and antagonistic, but that process, the one I was describing and felt a part of, that's common to any philosophy forum and probably nearly every discussionf forum.
You, and so many others, seek out territories and topics for extended expressions of your opposition. It is (to me) very tiresome. So I simply side-step the invitation. Yet that too seems to infuriate!
I have written so much about my sense of what renovation at a spiritual level is that I simply do not feel inclined to write it out again.
I'm not really sure what your hoping to do in the thread.

Let's look at the beginning of the OP
The following is a quote from Christopher Dawson's The Historic Reality of Christian Culture: A Way to the Renewal of Human Life (Routledge, 1960) I read this book some years back and it has very much influenced my outlook. As it happens -- and this note goes out to all who participated in the Christianity thread that endured for so long -- my own position has become full-circle. I accept the necessity of a renovation of the relationship to what is presented, metaphysically, through Christianity and *the Christian picture*. For some that amounts to a wishy-washy way of putting it and I acknowledge that critique. All I can say is that each person, inside of their mind, and with their imagining faculty, will visualize what I so often refer to as a "metaphysical reality" according to their interpretive means and equipment. Even the absolute atheist does this, in my view.

Personally, I am now far more certain and far more committed to the notion and the undertaking of *restoration* and *revivification* of that relationship to what I (somewhat abstractly of course) refer to as *metaphysical reality*. I am certain -- more certain in any case -- that it is the inner relationship that determines if there is relationship at all. What this means, in the most essential sense, is that the individual has, or does not have, that relationship. Everything begins from that point. Or put another way, it comes to an end when the relationship is broken or inhibited.

If we recognize, and I do, that our culture is sick, we must also understand that we manifest this sickness in one way or another, in one degree or another. Obviously then, I am an advocate for defining "A way to the renewal of Christian culture" which, necessarily, involves an inner renewal.
I bolded the portions where you are presenting your beliefs as your beliefs. And yet you find it odd that in your thread where the OP opens with you expressing your beliefs and pretty directly calling them your beliefs, I respond in part by asking for clarifications of your beliefs. Yes, you mention someone else's work. And you suggest
So what I propose -- it remains to be seen if the topic will gain any traction -- is an examination, from the perspective of Christopher Dawson and other apologists of his sort, of just what happens when the conceptual pathway to that *supernatural* world of metaphysical reality is broken and shattered, as is occurring strongly and noticeably in our culture(s) and then, if this is established, to ask the question and examine what such *renewal* would involve -- and if it is even possible.
Now I took that as - here's an author who at a general level agrees with me, let's think about what I said above this, about my beliefs, in relation to what he says.

And I didn't ignore him. I responded to part of what he said also, though for me it is in the context of what you said about your beliefs.

If you really want people not to want to try to understand your beliefs and criticize, seek to get clarity around them, then my suggestion would be to ONLY quote someone's work. Perhaps then add on something you think about what he or she means, and seek other input. I could imagine participating in an interpretive thread or having a clearer sense that you want us to critique his position, if anything. But as presented his quote seems part of your presentation of your ideas.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:09 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:02 pm But isn't the global south, when there is money and access, decadent, filled with decay, buffeted around by corporations, foreign governments, the same media distracting and profaning (by Catholic standards) the West?
All of that is true, it seems to me (and here I am: in the Global South seeing it first hand).

I am interested in Dawson’s perspective. And I am reading within those •strict• treatises where the innards of Catholic doctrine is expressed. And Catholic social and economic doctrine has a great deal to say about the negative •outcomes• in our mutually observed present.

Catholicism, as I am understanding it, is a holistic structure. A fusion of supernaturalism with humanist social policy. It is not to be discarded so easily, despite criticisms (and yours certainly).
I'm not suggesting we discard it, though I hope that it evolves away from some things, for the sake of at least many of the people involved. There's some swing room between we become a Catholic society and we discard Catholicism.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:13 pm
attofishpi wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:06 pm

I don't actually want anything; it's the person who is asking me to believe something completely implausible that wants something. It's not my job to do anything, it's theirs.
What is implausible?

How does a bunch of atoms when arranged in a certain way permit the unique sensation within the entire universe for you to feel me when I punch you in the bollocks?

How do mere atoms arranged in a certain way manage such a sensation as sight sound pain etc..

PS. It's only plausible because you have experienced it. ipso facto - God forming water to wine is not implausible.