Schrodinger's Cat Thought Experiment

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: Schrodinger's Cat Thought Experiment

Post by Harbal »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:04 pm Evidence??
I don't have any evidence, but I sense that he isn't quite as blissfully happy as he was before he posted his video on the forum.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Harbal wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:17 pm
I don't have any evidence, but I sense that he isn't quite as blissfully happy as he was before he posted his video on the forum.
Yes, true, but I do not think that his unhappiness equates to a sense of reality.
He's probably got a sever case of cognitive dissonance, but he will probably entrench.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Don't worry, ever since I have been on the forum posting evidence it appears to be just for hysteria.

I really like Sean Carrol after his explanation of the Higgs boson when finally discovered at CERN.

But on this one of his (A brief history of quantum mechanics) - he surprised me that he believes in the 'many worlds' hypothesis - (which is bollocks :mrgreen: )
https://youtu.be/5hVmeOCJjOU
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

There was a sequence of tacticson his part: condescension, insults, telling people to shut up, dismissing their right to speak on a subject, then a kind of gentler condescension calling people Child or Children. This is bumping up against reality and finding that these kinds of tactics may not be effective.
It's very hard to judge people's emotional states through words on the screen, but I don't think it went like expected and I don't think he enjoyed what happened. But, yeah, it comes down to having a sense of this.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:25 pm

But on this one of his (A brief history of quantum mechanics) - he surprised me that he believes in the 'many worlds' hypothesis - (which is bollocks :mrgreen: )
I have seen some of his videos, but I'm not particularly fond of him, and I don't know what the many worlds hypothesis is.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:52 pm
attofishpi wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:25 pm

I have seen some of his videos, but I'm not particularly fond of him, and I don't know what the many worlds hypothesis is.
Mate, he gives a very good example at the beginning of the video.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:26 pm
It's very hard to judge people's emotional states through words on the screen, but I don't think it went like expected and I don't think he enjoyed what happened. But, yeah, it comes down to having a sense of this.
He came here to sell something. Ostensibly his ideas, but really himself, and when it turned out that nobody was buying, he became petulant. I don't think there is much more to it than that.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:58 pm
I only have a 30 second attention span. :)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:03 pm
attofishpi wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:58 pm
I only have a 30 second attention span. :)
...when it gets down to 5 seconds even dipshits from the ILP forum like iambioguous will be able to take a swipe - but don't worry (I think once your attention span gets under 3 you die pretty quickly)
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Age wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:19 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:18 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:11 pm

Since I am quite happily ⚡️ALIVE⚡️ why would I do such a terminally retarded thing?
You don't do anything, you are being done.

You cannot tell yourself you are dead, so what makes you think you know you are alive?

Except as concept known...and the point is - that which is known can know nothing.
Therefore, the human being known as "dontaskme" 'knows nothing' or 'never knows anything'. Which further means that absolutely EVERY thing "dontaskme" says and claims is NOT known AND can NOT be proven true.
No one is claiming they know except as a concept known by the only knowing there is which is consciousness.
It’s not a “ someone “ who knows; a “ someone “ is known. You are the knowing that cannot be known. You are the absolute.

The knowing that is claimed knowing, namely the named one…knows nothing….because the claimed knower is known, but not by the claimed knower…but by the unclaimed knowing of every concept known. The absolute.

Ultimately - You are the knowing that cannot be known.

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:11 pm
Age wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:44 pm To be able to gain an unadulterated, undistorted, and uniformed clear picture or sense of things is to know the distinction between mind and mental is about the same as the distinction between mental and physical.
That sounds interesting, but I won't pretend that I know what the distinction between mind and mental is.
Thank you for the honesty. It is very refreshing.

Most people who use the 'mind' word do pretend like they know what 'it' is. But when questioned and challenge prove otherwise.
Harbal wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:11 pm
The mistake a so-called "dualist" makes is the EXACT SAME mistake the so-called "nondualist" makes. That is; thinking or believing that there could actually be such things as "dualists" and "nondualists", in Life.

There ARE these 'things' known as human bodies, with, obviously, different thoughts within. But there is NO actual 'thing', which could be a "dualist" nor "nondualist" only.

Well to me anyway.
It sounds like we might think along similar lines here, but I won't take that for granted, as I might not have understood you properly. Like everyone else here, I do think about the nature of existence and "reality" in relation to myself as an existing entity, but, unlike many, I haven't come to any firm conclusions. Perhaps that's because I can settle for, "I don't know", more than some people can. Anyway, in all my thinking, I haven't come up against any need to think in terms of duality or non-duality. It seems to me that once you start adopting terms like that, and feeling that you have to stay within them, you are placing constraints on yourself that limit your thinking.
VERY, VERY True.

If one claims to be any type of 'ist', then what that infers is that they could NOT think in any other way, and as such have limited their own ability to look at and see or understand things properly, correctly, and fully.
Harbal wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:11 pm To be honest, I get the feeling that some of those who talk about duality and non-duality don't know what they mean any more than I know what they mean. :)
Again, VERY, VERY True.

And to prove that this is an irrefutable Fact is achieved by challenging through just questioning them for clarity.

Post by Age »

Is there a link to this video?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:28 pm If one claims to be any type of 'ist', then what that infers is that they could NOT think in any other way, and as such have limited their own ability to look at and see or understand things properly, correctly, and fully.
We are in absolute agreement about this, Age. I hate it when people try to pin some kind of "ist" on me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvLKIv0uaQ4

Post by Age »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:26 pm
Age wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:19 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:18 pm

You don't do anything, you are being done.

You cannot tell yourself you are dead, so what makes you think you know you are alive?

Except as concept known...and the point is - that which is known can know nothing.
Therefore, the human being known as "dontaskme" 'knows nothing' or 'never knows anything'. Which further means that absolutely EVERY thing "dontaskme" says and claims is NOT known AND can NOT be proven true.
No one is claiming they know except as a concept known by the only knowing there is which is consciousness.
It’s not a “ someone “ who knows; a “ someone “ is known. You are the knowing that cannot be known. You are the absolute.
'We' have gone through this many times already.

The word 'you' infers "another", which in 'your' nondual BELIEF there can be NO 'other'.

There is ONLY One that is 'the Knowing' and 'the Absolute', and this One is NOT ANY of 'you', MANY human beings.

The word 'you', literally, refers to 'you', human beings, and NONE of 'you' are 'the Knowing' NOR 'the Absolute'.

There is ONLY One that KNOWS and is Absolute, and that One is 'I'.

Contrary to popular BELIEF, 'I' am thee One and ONLY One.

And, just for clarity sake, 'I' am NOT the one 'you', human beings, have been previously presuming 'I' am.
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:26 pm The knowing that is claimed knowing, namely the named one…knows nothing….because the claimed knower is known, but not by the claimed knower…but by the unclaimed knowing of every concept known. The absolute.
Two things here.

1. 'you', "dontaskme", are referring to 'you', human beings, here, in the first part of 'your' sentence here.

2. The supposed and proclaimed 'unclaimed knowing of every concept known' is, literally, KNOWN as 'the Absolute'. Which therefore CONTRADICTS "dontaskme's" claim 'the Absolute' knows nothing.

See, 'you', "dontaskme", can NOT have this both ways. 'you' can NOT claim that 'the Absolute', the Knower of Everything' can NOT be known, but yet SAY and CLAIM that the Knower of EVERY concept known IS 'the Absolute'.
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:26 pm Ultimately - You are the knowing that cannot be known.
So, to "dontaskme", ALL of 'you', human beings, that is; the named ones who claim to know things are 'the Knowers' and 'the KNOWING, which, laughably, are also claimed to be UNKNOWABLE.

'your' CONTRADICTIONS throughout this forum "dontaskme" are in an endless LOOP.

And, to imagine that this ENDLESS CONTRADICTING of 'yours' "dontaskme" is ENDED through, and by, just one letter.

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:43 pm
Age wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:28 pm If one claims to be any type of 'ist', then what that infers is that they could NOT think in any other way, and as such have limited their own ability to look at and see or understand things properly, correctly, and fully.
We are in absolute agreement about this, Age. I hate it when people try to pin some kind of "ist" on me.
One would have thought that the Fact that it is an absolute impossibility to do so, accurately, would have stopped people from even 'trying to' do it, but sadly this is not the case.
Harbal wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:43 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvLKIv0uaQ4
Thank you.